Author Topic: Something attacked my foot in the pond  (Read 2240 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Something attacked my foot in the pond
« on: September 12, 2009, 07:11:05 AM »
Yesterday I was pulling the three lily pots out of the little pond. By the time I got them out and began to scoop the leaves off the bottom with my hands, the water was totally riled and I couldn't see anything down there past my knees. All of a sudden, I felt something and at the same time it touched my foot. It felt large. It seemed to move away when I touched it. I wondered if a turtle had gotten in there and felt fear to the point I screamed inside my mouth the next time I felt it. I quickly climbed out and went to get the long handled skimmer. After scooping around a few times ----there is was!!!! A viscious black, square, mesh, empty, 6 x 6 lily pot. Boy did I feel stupid!! I was just glad noone was around to witness my bravery.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Something attacked my foot in the pond
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 07:41:25 AM »
You have to watch for vicious pots! lol

Seriously, Loch Ness Monster exists in every body of water. I won't put my foot in water I can't see the bottom of - unless I'm seining a pond, and then I wear shoes.

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 07:53:10 AM »
Glad to hear that it was only a mesh pot. It is funny that your fear was unfounded, but it could have been something else, so you were wise to proceed slowly.

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 08:55:55 AM »
i have felt fear plenty of times...my fish nibble on my ankles and swim around my feet so that freaks me out ...i think that since the water is merky it gives you the creeps anyway when u get in.... lol
lorraine

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 10:03:29 AM »
I have similar fears  ;D  I also don't like to swim with the feesh.  In my shallow pond I have to wear thigh high socks I use to wear under my pants for skiing to avoid feeling nibbles.  I probably will not be able to swim in the lily pond which is at least 3-1/2 feet deep.  Will have to look into wader pants  :o

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 10:17:36 AM »
I would have jumped out too! I would have screamed out loud! I hate when the fish nibble on me and I hate worse when a stray lily leaf gets wrapped around my leg.

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 10:49:45 AM »
Ewwwww, the wonders of the deep  lol. At first it bothered me to have the fish nibbling on me but now I have gotten used to it but then Jerry said we are all gonna die if we go into our ponds w/ o protection so I'm kinda leery of even getting in at all  :o. But if most all of you go in and no problems I am tempted to go in again maybe  o(. I wish I could have seen you in the pond with the look on your face Esther when that pot reached out and grabbed ya  lol.

Offline LynneNY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/06/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 10:53:06 AM »
 lol  I would have screamed out loud too!  VERY LOUD! :o

That is exactly why I wear my HUSBANDS very tall, very thick rubber waders!  Nothing's gonna bite me through these babies - I hope!

Offline Jonna

• Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 11:00:22 AM »
That was my reaction too the first time the pleco attached to my leg while I was in the pond.  I yelled and tried to levitate straight up and out.  Not easy in a 3'+ deep pond.   My water is clear and I can see everything if the darn Mollies would just get out of the way.  They always think I'm going to feed them so they swarm me and then I can't see the bottom. 

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 06:03:18 PM »
Up until last year, I thought nothing about anything being in the pond but fishes and froggies. Then the gator shows up and I find out that it could have climbed in the stock tanks. EEEEEEK!!
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 06:16:51 PM »
 lol lol lol

I visited a zoo 2 years ago and saw some type snake in a pond.  I've had that image in my head since then.  Give me the creeps.
Alfonso

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 09:47:19 AM »
I wouldn't of stayed in there long enough for the second touch.  :no:  I do not like to put my hands or feet into water that I can not see in.  {nono}

Offline 2vetts

• Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 10:41:53 AM »
they'd have made a great movie of this in the fifties . .glad you weren't harmed . how'd you find courage to......... admit this .

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 11:04:44 AM »
Several years ago, some things happened in my life that taught me that I was a vulnerable person. Up until then, I thought I knew what I was doing and pretty much in control of my life. I didn't ask for much and so had no problem making them come to pass. Then we had a baby born with Spina Bifida. She lived for 6 months. Then my now X husband was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. After a few years he was pronounced cured, he decided he was going to find somebody else better than me. That didn't take long and he took up with a "lady" from our church, of all places and didn't do it very secretively either. I put up with that for a year and a half, knowing that everyone around us knew about it. Finally I asked him to leave. Back then, divorce wasn't all that prevelant and especially not in "the church". I kept attending, knowing everyone there knew about what was going on, held my head high and continued to sing in the choir Sunday after Sunday. His "lady" of choice had a beautiful voice and had often been asked to solo. A year or so after he left, someone was doing a solo that "she" had done and there I am in the choir loft with tears running down my face in front of the whole church. Didn't care who saw me crying and knew that if they saw it, they'd probably figure out why it was happening.

My 30 year old son was born with ADD and has been a difficult child to raise. He has given me lots of reasons to fear and cry over that 30 years. Lots of people know what a struggle I've had with him. Even my own parents didn't understand why I couldn't make him behave as well as I'd have liked.

Then the past 2 years have been the worst I could imagine. I have learned we are so vulnerable in so many ways. So you see me cry!! I must have been sad or very happy on the other hand. So you see me laugh. It must have been funny. So you see me sigh. I must be tired. So you hear me shout or fuss. I must have been angry. And if you hear me scream, it must be that I was frightened by something either real or imagined. Neither are worse than the other. All these things are expressions of a real person. None are to be ashamed of. They all happen to everyone. Nothing to be ashamed of.

When I realized what made me so afraid wasn't ANYHTHING AT ALL, then I laughed. If I thought it was funny then there was a good chance others might.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 12:15:28 PM »
Okay Esther....now THAT post was PROFOUND!   :worship:
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline jw

• Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2009, 03:21:10 PM »
You do say it all so well Esther...........we must show our emotions or what are we robots? If we bottle them all up for long periods of time then we will explode one day and it won't be a pretty site to see...........better to let them out when they happen or look for the men in the white coats to come knockin and take you to the Funny Farm :o.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXZMZ-XvvzI&feature=related

Offline Jonna

• Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2009, 09:27:49 PM »
That was profound Esther, and your strength shines from you even through these computer screens.  I admire you so much. 

Offline HOWELL

• Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2009, 06:00:11 AM »
You left me speechless.... :'( :'(.....
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2009, 10:19:33 AM »
You know, seeing the difficult things in my life crammed into a few paragraphs, makes my life sound like it was a real sad experience. Yah, there were times but most people by the time they get to my age (67 in October) have had their share of difficulties and sadness. If you were to count the months that were mentioned in that post, they would seem nothing compared to the total of months lived that were happy and normal.

Thanks for your complimentary comments but there was nothing great about me in that story. I am an "only child" who was blessed to have been brought up by Christian parents who demanded hard work, responsibility, and respectability of me. My father's parents lived across the street so I was very outnumbered. They all presented to me a wonderful example of people who are excellent roll models in their family, community, and church. Being farmers, they were always there, maybe out in the fields but always there.

So if they were out in the fields of the rented farm, then I probably was too. My earliest memories of working were of driving a bulldozer that was hauling a trailer in the corn field when there had been a very wet fall. We couldn't get the horses in the field so everyone in the family, women included took a scythe and they cut down the cornstalks and layed them on the trailer. My job was to climb up on the bulldozer and push a lever that put it in gear and moved it ahead in a straight line. Imagine!!! I was maybe 5 years old.... Nowadays they would have been arrested for endangering a little kid like that. That year they sold the horses and bought a tractor.

I can still remember sitting on the barnyard fence by the barn watching the huge flatbed truck with the stake racks going down the long driveway past the house with the horses in it.

Not long after that we bought a farm  that is still in the family today. My earliest memories of that was in the spring after the fields had been worked up for planting was being out in the back field picking up stones and putting them on the trailer. It was my job to get on the big old John Deere and move it ahead. By that time I was old enough, probably 7,  to know how to operate it totally. I was scared to death of the flywheel that didn't have a safety cover on it. Scared too of the power take off doodad (under a protective cover) that stuck out behind and could catch your clothes in it and kill you. Learned early on to be sooo careful of machinery with moving parts. It's a wonder any farm kid lives to grow up. LOL.

Once my uncle David had gone over to a piece of property about a half mile away to work up a field. They had never done that field before. It had a very steep hill on it and him being an teenager didn't use his head and got part way across the side hill and began to realize the tractor was about to tip over sideways. He didn't know what to do so climbed on the tractor tire that was on the high side and sat there until Grandma realized he hadn't come home for supper. So they went to see where he was and there he was perched on the tire. I guess they hitched another tractor and chain to the high side of the tippy one and got it out of there. After that my dad or grandpa did that field.

It used to "rot my sox" that grandpa would hire a neighbor boy to drive tractor at times when we were running two,  but never paid me to drive.

Speaking of Grandpa. His daddy had died when Grandpa was very young. He was the oldest of 3 boys and had so much responsibility put on him. Somehow it shaped him into a driven, strict, rather grumpy , what I thought was, old man. After the milking was done, it was my job to hose down the "milking parlor". It was rather fun to do. I got to play in the water while still making the place nice and clean. I took pride in doing a good job.. One day he came in and pointed out that some of it wasn't done yet. As I hadn't gotten to that spot yet and knew it, I didn't take kindly to his comments. I yelled, "Damn it, do it your self then." and threw the hose down. I was maybe 16 then. I turned on my heel, climbed up by the stanchions and exited where the cows went out because I didn't dare go past him. I went home and told my mom exactly what had happened because I was sure he'd tell my parents the story. Imagine swearing at your Grandpa!! Especially your Christian Grandpa whom I had never heard swear in my life. You know----he never said anything about it to my folks. LOL.

Where'd all that come from?? Got me remembering.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 10:22:23 AM by Esther »

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 03:07:43 PM »
When I said that I thought your post was profound, I was meaning the truth with which you spoke.  Not that your life was all hard, or sad or miserable, it wasn't, but the bad stuff that makes you grow was interspersed throughout.  One thing I've realized about reaching the age of 56, is that bad stuff can happen and I now have the experience to weather it.  I KNOW I can get to the other side--when I was younger I didn't have that knowledge.  I also weathered a divorce--a very bad one.  And the years after I still wonder how I got through. 

I now have the courage to cry when I'm sad, or hurt, to show anger when I'm justifiably angry, to laugh when I am happy, and to show joy when I'm ecstatic.  Being true to yourself when the world wants to see you stumble or fall.  I'm not afraid of that anymore.  It was just refreshing to hear another woman who showed her true emotions in the middle of the storm.  And the most endearing part for me was:  I can only imagine how frightened you were when that pot touched your foot and you had the good sense to laugh at yourself.   :)  And then you shared it with us.  Thanks.   o(:-) 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline tootsie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Meet Christian, my newest Grandson :)
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2009, 05:32:37 PM »
My Gosh Esther, I just hung on your every word!! I applaud your honesty, integrity,your eternal search for wisdom, and most of all your loving nature  o(:-)
You have my vote for Mother,Wife, and Friend of the Year :)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2009, 07:16:10 PM »
You are a wonder woman, and a great person.  ;)  We have had long pm's back and forth she's a special lady!

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"