Author Topic: Pizza Casserole  (Read 3115 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Pizza Casserole
« on: September 16, 2009, 07:53:20 AM »

Hi Esther - This is a family favorite and a sure hit for the soccer boys!! You can add other pizza toppings too but I just do it this way when I have a large crowd in case there are fussy eaters.

Pizza Casserole
1 pound ground beef - browned
3/4 pound Rigatoni noodles - cooked
2 cups mozzarella - shredded
1/2 large pkg. pepperoni - save some for the top
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 Can Tomato Soup
1 Can Pizza Sauce
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. oregano

Stir all ingredients together - place in greased 9x13 pan. Top with pepperoni and parmesan. Bake 350 40 min. covered, 15 min. uncovered.

Offline ponderer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Pizza Casserole
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 09:10:28 AM »
Cool recipe Esther! I printed it out. DH loves peperoni pizza, o(:-)

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 09:38:43 AM »
I printed it out, but will sub fresh sliced mushrooms for the canned soup.
The canned soup flavor turns me off, especially cream of mushroom. Blech.  :P
Jamie will LOVE making this!  8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 01:11:34 PM »
Of course you can calorie it down easily and add any other toppings you like on your pizza. I just bought 96/4 hamburger, turkey pepperoni, whole grain pasta, and some (not all) 2% cheese. There low fat mushroom soup out there too.

This afternoon I saw a link to Gilda's Club in Grand Rapids on Facebook, put there by my daughter in law. Gilda's was started in memory of Gilda Radner and mentors families, for free, who have lost someone to cancer and or death of any reason.
Kevin, Dawn and the kids go on Wednesday nights where they are served dinner and then they go to their age appropriate counseling groups. Dawn had said that a way people could help was to take in food so I called. I'm taking the pizza casserole, and dessert for 30 and 6 dozen rolls October 7. There are two other ladies bringing the salad, the rest of the entre and another big dessert.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 01:49:49 PM »
I'm making it tonight for dinner.  Thanks!

Got any more of these type receipes, I'm so tired of fixing the same ole same ole.

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 05:10:00 PM »
Anything with "pizza" in the title, you know it's going to be good!

Offline HOWELL

• Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 07:38:42 PM »
I am so doing this....I will share with ya..I love pepperoni pizza...and cheese pizza of cousre..
Yesterday I did cheese cream soup...and it tasted so good.....I got so full because I ate a whole lot...
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 04:30:48 PM »
Howell, can you give us the recipe to your soup?

Don't forget that you can readjust the meat part any way you want. I put in some sausage and less hamburger in mine. I made three batches, two were pretty similar to the recipe but the third I added mushrooms and onions. I didn't cook up the pasta because I won't need it until Oct 7. I'll do the pasta then and add in the sauce from the freezer. I ended up with 4.5 quarts of sauce.

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 05:57:10 PM »
I wonder if there is anything you could use in place of the pasta as I am trying to be good and do lo-carb which means no starches with carbs in them  :-\. Please don't say zucchini, blech  :o. Maybe I could just plop all the ingreds on a lo-carb tortilla and call it good  ::)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2009, 06:03:46 PM »
Janice, have you ever had Spaghetti squash? I like to use it instead of the noodles. :)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 07:35:09 PM »
Janice, have you ever had Spaghetti squash? I like to use it instead of the noodles. :)

Blech, Pondman that is the kind I tried, I just couldn't remember the name and it was spaghetti that I tried to use it in...............maybe I didn't do it right but I followed the directions and like I said blech  :o. Do you think it tastes just like noodles? and if so how did you cook it in details?  :)

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 07:58:32 PM »
jw, I am a long time low carber and have never really found a good replacement for pasta. You can try zucchini (the green squash, grated or peeled into "noodles" or "zoodles", so to speak), or the spaghetti squash (all split/pulled up with a fork), but there is really no substitute for pasta.

HOWEVER (!), If you are OK with ingesting large amounts of fiber (I can't do it- potty nightmare), there is a product out there called "Dreamfield's Pasta" that legitimately claims only 5g of digestible carbs. It tastes just like regular pasta and doesn't taste at all like that "whole grain" nightmare stuff. If you can handle that fiber, it's pretty good and will keep you full for hours. Netrition (dot com) carries it.

The Campbell's soup, though, is tricksy. They say it's only 7 grams of carb per serving (depending on what type of "cream" soup it is), but there are lots of chemicals and frankenfood ingredients in that stuff. I'll use it if I'm in a pinch, but every time I read the ingredients I'm flabbergasted at the sheer amount of man made chemicals in it.

When I read Esther's original post (recipe), I had a pork shoulder roast slowly cooking in a 225* oven. I used it to make a low carb BBQ pulled pork... but now I'm thinking what's to stop me from subbing the pulled pork for the pasta? Pulled pork, plus all those other ingredients... double yum.  :)
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 09:32:48 PM »
Thanks lots Karen, I'll check into the Dreamfields Pasta as I can take the fiber thing pretty good, I drink Psyllium fiber everyday before dinner as they say it helps get rid of excess fat that you ingest so maybe I can handle the Dreamfields stuff. I like your idea on the pulled pork tho and will give that a try. I prolly would not use the tom soup. You can just make your own from tom sauce or real toms  :)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 07:17:01 AM »
Kids loved it!

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 07:19:08 AM »
Esther here it is...hope you all like it...

Four cheese soup.
Ingredients2 tb Butter Or Margarine
1 lg Onion; Chopped
2 Cloves Garlic; Minced
1 lg Russet Potatoes; Peeled And
2 cn Chicken Broth; (14 1/2 Oz
2 c Half And Half
3/4 c Provel Rope Cheese
3/4 c Grated Mozzarella Cheese
3/4 c Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1/2 c Grated Parmesan Cheese
Freshly Ground Black Pepper

PreparationIn large saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook for 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in potato cubes and broth; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender. In work bowl of food processor fitted with steel knife, puree soup in batches. Return soup to saucepan over medium-low heat; add half-and-half and heat through. Gradually stir in cheeses. Reduce heat to low; stir constantly until cheeses are melted. Top with freshly ground pepper. NOTES : Four cheeses blend together for a uniquely flavored creamy soup.

I had to looked thru internet to find the one in english and here it is...

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 07:50:17 AM »
Howell, that sounds wonderful. I'll have to copy it and try it sometime. I would think a person could add various bland vegetables, pieces of ham or bacon to it also.

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009, 11:13:52 AM »
That's sounds yummy Howell and I can replace the potatoes w/ cauliflower and the half and half w/ full cream and cut it in half w/ some water and have it low carb  @O@

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009, 11:57:51 AM »
Esther yeah, bacon will be good.
JW, I love broccoli and cauliflower, I may try that.

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2009, 09:23:51 PM »
when I saw this thread, I was immediately reminded of the Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Restaurant's Pizza Pot Pie.  If you love pizza, and are EVER in Chicago, you MUST experience it.!

SEE:
http://www.chicagopizzaandovengrinder.com/menu.htm

AND:
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/03/chicago-pizza-and-oven-grinder-company-home-of-the-pizza-pot-pie-il-review.html

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2009, 08:46:28 AM »
Great recipes!  I would also substitute the cream of mushroom soup because of all the nasty stuff it has in it, plus soybean oil which I am allergic to anyway.  I have a recipe on Recipezaar that has an easy homemade cream of mushroom soup.  And that cheese soup sounds really, really tasty with all those cheeses, I love cheese soup.  What is Provel rope cheese?

Offline ponderer

• Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2009, 05:24:14 PM »
Esther! Made it tonight for din-din. It was a hit! Made too much for we two, but froze the extra for another day!

Thanks!

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2009, 06:14:41 PM »

Blech, Pondman that is the kind I tried, I just couldn't remember the name and it was spaghetti that I tried to use it in...............maybe I didn't do it right but I followed the directions and like I said blech  :o. Do you think it tastes just like noodles? and if so how did you cook it in details?  :)

Janice, I take it that you're not a lover of squash. I happen to think that the squash taste better than the noodles. :) I bake mine thoroughly then rake it out into a bowl. I think that I actually add some margarine into it.

Sorry it took me so long to reply. Trying to get everything planned for the move.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2009, 06:49:51 PM »
That's the way I cooked it and it seemed like it took forever to cook it enough to get it soft like noodles. Maybe if I add enough butter it would be good............the more butter the better  :o. Thanks Pondman, I may give it a try again sometime who knows  ;D. Hope you have a good move and learn to like it there in Alabama or was it Georgia?

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2009, 10:49:41 AM »
That's the way I cooked it and it seemed like it took forever to cook it enough to get it soft like noodles. Maybe if I add enough butter it would be good............the more butter the better  :o. Thanks Pondman, I may give it a try again sometime who knows  ;D. Hope you have a good move and learn to like it there in Alabama or was it Georgia?

Janice, I used to prepare spaghetti squash for my kids when they were little (when they first started on solids & I pureed the squash for them).  What I did was cut the squash in half length wise, put it face down in a pyrex dish or microwave safe dish.  Cover the dish in seran wrap.  Nuke it in microwave for 20 minutes.  Use a fork to tease it to see if the spaghetti squash will fall out volunteerily.  If not, nuke another 10 min.  Once you get them all out, you can season it with fresh ground black pepper and butter/margerine.  It was really yummy.  You are right that it doesn't taste like pasta but it has its own taste with butter and pepper.

HTH.

Kuan

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2009, 10:58:30 AM »
Thanks Kuan, I will give it a try in the micro-wave next time like you say. That way it won't take so long too and it really does sound good the way you guys all talk about it. I wanted to use it w/ spaghetti sauce so that when DH eats the real stuff I can have a similar meal  ;D. I prolly just didn't cook it long enough when I tried that one and only time  :-\. It was rather chewy  :(. Janice

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"