Author Topic: Photos from Russia Trip...More Photos  (Read 2299 times)

Offline Argos5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Photos from Russia Trip...More Photos
« on: September 19, 2009, 11:56:03 PM »
We recently came back from a trip on the Volga river from Moscow to St. Petersburg...here are a few photos.

The structures, fountains and gardens at Peter the Great's Palace (Peterhof) were ransacked by the Germans during the Seige of Leningrad but restored magnificently after the war

For you woodworking enthusiasts, here's an all wood basilica on the island of Kizhi built in the early 1700's; rumor has it that no nails were used

Here's an interesting Stalin-era highrise

This is a corner of the Kremlin Wall, behind which is Moscow's Red Square

Red Square has a number of landmarks including St. Basil's Church

and Lenin's Tomb, on which the Soviet leadership would stand while reviewing the  parades of tanks and missiles

It was a great trip which definitely changed my image of Russia.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 11:54:58 PM by Argos5 »

Ventura County, California, Zone 8b

Offline kaz

• Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Photos from Russia Trip
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 04:23:51 AM »
Looks like you got some good weather whist there.  Stunning architecture... European cities have some real treasures.  So... where to next?

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 06:01:35 AM »
Excellent Tovarisch!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 07:55:10 AM »
The structures are amazing. I am blown away by the intricateness of them.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 04:28:56 PM by Esther »

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 09:57:33 AM »
Spectacular buildings and so intricate  O0. The architects of old new how to build things with character  ;D. Now everything is just boxy but good (like a Volvo) with no personality  ::). Glad you had a wonderful trip  :).

Offline Jonna

• Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 10:44:11 AM »
Sounds like a fantastic trip.  Do have more pictures?  I'd love to see more, did you stay on a boat in the river the whole time?  What did it look like?  I'm fascinated as you can see, it would be a fabulous trip. 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 11:27:43 AM »
You got to see a lot of beautiful architecture of the old and new age.    I would love to visit Russia someday and seeing photos from a real visitor, who by the way takes great pictures, makes it more interesting! Thanks for sharing....do you have more photos?

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 09:00:26 PM »
Stunning! I went to St. Petersburg, Moscow, and Voronez in November of 1998 and 1999. Very cold and pre-digital camera era. Did you go to the Pizza Hut in red square? Was this a business trip?
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 10:48:52 PM »
Yes, MORE photos!

It was a great trip which definitely changed my image of Russia.
How so?
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Argos5

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Photos from Russia Trip...More Photos
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 11:50:36 PM »
It was a vacation trip...we lucked out on the weather, particularly in St. Petersburg...we spent four days in Moscow, five days on the Volga with stops in various villages and four days in St. Petersburg...the ship had 145 passengers and served as our hotel for the entire trip... my previous images of Russia were formed by the gray drabness of photos that seeped through during the Communist era...I was surprised by the the cleanliness of the streets and parks, the bright pastel colors of the buildings, the youthful and chic appearance of the big  city inhabitants (walking the streets of St. Petersburg was like watching models on a runway)...overall, it seemed like a modern country on the rise...unfortunately, however, I got the sense that if I were in the Ukraine, Georgia or the Baltic States, I'd be worried about Russia's intentions...the architecture was amazing and the color and ornateness of the Russian Orthodox Churches was striking...many of the churches were neglected or reduced to warehouses during the Soviet era and now that religion is making a big comeback, a tremendous effort has been made to restore them...here are a few interesting churches...the "onion" shaped domes are supposed to represent flames.

Here's one from Red Square

I believe these are also in Moscow

Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood (named after the murder of a czar at the site) in St. Petersburg

Here's one of Catherine the Great's Palaces

Here's Moscow State University, another Stalin era structure...Stalin had built seven of these  very distinctive "wedding-cake" skyrises in various corners of Moscow after WWII to dominate the skyline...they are referred to the "Seven Gothic Sisters"... an eighth was planned but never built.

Here's a gate in the Kremlin Wall

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 10:15:10 AM »
Great photos.
I was there in the mid 90's, and also hit sunny, warm weather - actually it was over 100 in Moscow, and we just about fried. We had packed as if going to the ice age. My perceptions also radically changed.

The Peterhof is great. Apart from the opulence, what I took away with me was that it did not have corrdors / passageways - each great, gilded room let directly into another. Made me realize the Empress Catherine could not have been shy about bathing when calling for a tub of hot water to be sent up - oh yeah, that and my brother being semi mauled by a bear he was trying to feed in the gardens. It was tethered to a tree and looked very sweet. Turns out we did not quite grasp the difference, in Russian, of "Don't feed the animals", and "Sure, he is harmless".

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 01:18:09 PM »
Beautiful pictures!  My son's longtime girlfriend is Russian.  (she has lived in the U.S. for 4-5 years) She recently visited relatives back home in Russia, and sent me the link to her online photo album.  Her pictures were just stunning too, she and some friends had done some sightseeing.  She is the sweetest girl, and hearing her stories about Russia, and seeing her pictures have really been fascinating.  As a result my dd is taking a Russian Culture class in college this semester.   :)

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 01:29:25 PM »
Thanks for the travelog.

What was the food like?

Offline jw

• Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 02:42:06 PM »
More great pics  :). My neighbor is Ukrainian and she corrected me once on calling Ukraine... the Ukraine..............says it is a  {nono}. Something about back when they were feuding w/ Russia .........not that they still aren't but anyway I stood corrected  ::).

Offline Argos5

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 03:59:49 PM »
Janice, I made a worse faux pas a few months ago...I was at a dinner and the woman seated next to me had an obvious accent...I asked where she was from and she said "Ukraine" to which I responded with words to the effect "Oh, that's a coincidence, we're going to visit Russia in a couple of months"...after an awkward pause she curtly reminded me that she "had never been to Russia." :redface:

Julles, most of our meals were on the ship...the food was excellent but catered for Western tastes...we did have one meal given to us by a family who lived in a smaller town...it consisted mostly of vegetables, cabbage and potatoes with, of course, a shot of vodka or two..our interpreter was the family's 20 year old niece who had been a high school exchange student and spent a year in Corpus Christi, Texas...not surprisingly, she spoke more fluent English than many American teenagers.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 04:16:16 PM by Argos5 »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"