Author Topic: What I've been doing this time around....  (Read 5968 times)

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: What I've been doing this time around....
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2009, 02:54:19 PM »
Oh yeah, I remember when you did that to the front of your house along with the revamp of the flower beds....and it looks really nice.  I like the colors you have chosen.

Don't forget to post pics!   :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2009, 04:27:44 PM »
Thank you.  I'll post more pics as I progress along.  I was installing all the brackets today for the rafters, and there was one spot where I figured the bolt in the ledger was going to be in the way, and it was, so I was glad that I decided to countersink the bolt back when I installed the ledger!  After putting all the brackets up, I was only off by about an inch, not too bad considering I eyeballed it and the ledger is over 24 feet long!
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2009, 07:24:24 PM »
Whew!   :o   ;)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2009, 08:47:56 PM »
Incredible amount of work.  Are you doing this full-time, or on your weekends off?

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2009, 11:40:44 PM »
I'm still working my full time job, and I've been hit with a bit of work for my part time job, so as I have time after work and on weekends.  Since I'm going about this alone it seems like it's taking 4x longer! lol
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2009, 09:01:27 AM »
I'm following your progress with much anticipation for the final product.  You are doing such a great job.  Wish I could build my own too but for this bum back  >:( :P.

Over my kitchen area in the backyard I have a trellis covered with corrugated polycarbonate sheets with UV protection to keep moisture/ rain off my BBQ and cook tops. And there is some shade factor too.  Relatively inexpensive and easy to install.  I got it from HD.  I think it's made by Suntuf.

I don't remember seeing the work on your front arbor/trellis but I love it! 

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2009, 10:14:50 AM »
Thanks Annette!  Wouldn't you guess, I was going to hit Lowe's early this am and I'm friggin' sick!  Have been battling it for a couple days but I was up all night, finally layed down at 4 and was up again at 6 (and still up!).  I don't think it's a good idea to try to carrry around a bunch of 16 foot lumber (18 pieces of it) feeling this way, so maybe tonight or tomorrow I'll feel better.

If interested, the front arbor project is here.  That was my first arbor so I kinda cut my teeth on that one, and this is my first patio cover.  I thought about that corrugated stuff, my neighbor wants to cover his with it because he had kids and it gives them a place to play when it rains instead of being inside all day.  I'll have to see how I feel after a couple rains before I decide on that, my barbecue has been in the rain, uncovered, for about 3 years now.  I should get a cover for it at some point I guess!

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2009, 09:21:14 AM »
The rafters have been painted and are in place.  One thing that has been a very difficult thing to do is to hammer in a nail on the inside of the rafters.  The space is just 3.5 inches and the nails are at an angle, so a friend suggested a palm nailer, and I'm going to pick one up at Lowe's today.

These rafters are 16' long, so putting them up was a bit of a chore ... but I got it done!  Now to drill holes, hammer some nails, and then the lattice work is next.  Once completed, I'll install two outdoor ceiling fans/lights and run the conduit from the existing light boxes by the sliding doors.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2009, 10:43:34 AM »
That's looking beautiful Michael!  Sometimes being a perfectionist pays off... ;)
LuAnn

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2009, 11:41:07 AM »
 ;) Thanks, LuAnn!

I'm really happy with it at this point and glad I took my time with it.  Learned a few things along the way, and what not to do. 

party soon!  @O@

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2009, 12:00:11 PM »
looking professional as can be.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2009, 05:15:29 PM »
Thanks....a lot of work but it's worth it! :)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2009, 07:59:38 PM »
That looks great!  The patio area looks nicer already.  Did you get the palm nailer? 

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2009, 08:48:43 PM »
I got one at Lowe's, but it's too large to fit between the rafters.  I can drive a nail with it at an upwards angle, but have to finish with a hammer.  So my friend mentioned one at Sears and I went and got that and it fits between the rafters better, but I'm not sure it can drive the nails in yet because it uses a battery pack, so I'll have to wait to see if it will work when it's fully charged.

It says in the manual that it will drive 10d nails, so hopefully it will!

Here's the Crafstman tool I bought
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 07:49:17 AM by Blind 'Too »

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2009, 07:55:56 AM »
Thanks for the link.  I never researched before but that power hammer sure is small in size.  I like it.  I've only seen the professional kind that are big and chunky.  I would love to get a power nailer for my next project.

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2009, 11:03:26 AM »
Well...the bigger palm nailer was okay for starting the nails, but not good in the tight spaces that I have, and the smaller one is great in the tight spaces but not much out of the gate and couldn't drive the nails in.  The manual says 10d nails, but I guess that's only in soft wood.  It might be great for the small nails I use for the lattice up top. 

I got the palm nailer for $35...it was a display model and they told me on the phone that it sells for $80, but they'll sell it for $55 and give me a 10% discount.  When I got there, it had a "SALE" ticket of $55, so the 10% was because it was a display.  I told them, "I thought you were giving me $30 off because it was a display".  The manager said, "but we sold those for $80".  I pointed to the sign and said, "no, you sold it for $55.  Can't you do me any better than $5 off?  There are no manuals, no box, nothing....come on!".  He finally said, "how about $35?" and it was sold.  I guess it doesn't hurt to haggle a little!

not much more to go!

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2009, 11:44:19 AM »
Technology is destroying our culture.....  What's poor Trini supposed to do?????

If I had a palm nailer
I'd palm nail in the morning
I'd palm nail in the evening
All over this land

I'd palm nail out danger
I'd palm nail out a warning
I'd palm nail about the love between my brothers and my sisters
All, all over this land....

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2009, 12:37:40 PM »
I thought we agreed: no more controversial posts!!!  This hammer vs palm nailer bickering has GOT TO STOP!!!  lol

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2009, 03:43:55 PM »
 lol  Funny, you guys!

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2009, 06:19:51 PM »
Since the rafters are about 13-14 feet long, the sun has made a few of them warp a little and that's not good!  I'm actually amazed at how much some of them have warped...even after two coats of paint. 
(PIC 1)  I decided to put a short block in between (extra pieces left over from the posts) and cinch the paired rafters together . 
(PIC 2)  But I had a problem with some of the warped boards and it was almost impossible to get them lined up.   The red highlight shows how much some of them have warped!
(PIC 3)  To get the rafters to line up vertically, I made a "tool" from left over 2x4's and long bolts and bolted them together, sandwiching two pairs of rafters in between.  Tightening the bolts pulls all four together perfectly.

This brought them back together and allowed me to drill the holes and mount the blocks much easier.  I'm going to mount 3 electrical boxes for lights (eventually a couple outdoor ceiling fans) in the rafters.  So before I put the lattice up top I want to get the wiring done.  I'll probably have someone help me with that (mostly so someone will be there to take me to the hospital after I electrocute myself from being too lazy and stupid to shut the circuit off first!)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2009, 02:11:21 PM »
You are doing a great job and making sure it's done right is no easy task.  Still waiting for the TA-DA moment!  O0

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2009, 02:37:36 PM »
Thanks....the electrical stuff has been purchased...now to do the wiring....then the top lumber.  Unreal, the prices.  Lowe's/Home Depot...about 90-100 bucks.  Local lumber yard...about $340!?!

crazy...I guess I will go to Home Depot..... lol

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2009, 04:14:24 PM »
I bought my conduit and wiring, and did the electrical today.  It was much easier than I thought it would be, and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.  I'll eventually replace the lights with a fan/light...maybe in the spring time when it starts getting warmer.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2009, 06:56:39 PM »
I'm impressed!  That looks very professionally done...you are really gonna love this new space!!   ;)
LuAnn

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2009, 07:20:12 PM »
Thank you...I'm excited about it already.  Had to get a steak and grill it so I could see how well the new lighting works!  lol

It's definitely coming along... @O@

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2009, 10:33:34 PM »
I am imprssed as well.  You are one handy dude! O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2009, 08:14:37 AM »
Thanks....it's amazing what one can do when they can't afford a professional, eh?  lol

I got to try it out last night...this thing puts out a lot of light!  Putting up a second one is going to really light it up!

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2009, 02:12:12 PM »
Now that you know how the second one will be a snap. ;D
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline FrankJScott

• Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2023
    Years
    • View Profile
    • High Rated SLOT GACOR Info
Excellent Product Info
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2024, 08:51:54 AM »
Please try Google before asking about Great Product Tips 3aa263e

Offline FrankJScott

• Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2023
    Years
    • View Profile
    • High Rated SLOT GACOR Info
Great Chemical Peel Sarasota Website
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2024, 07:50:33 AM »
In response to the person talking about facial session, botox microneedling facial, spa & body care, spa facial procedures, skin rejuvenation for men, radiofrequency and fillers, best place to get facials, med so, radio frequency microneedling near me, sylfirm treatment,  I highly recommend this website for best peel in Sarasota for acne info or treatment for your face, sylfirm x before and after, body med spa, spa for skin, microneedling peel, skin medical aesthetics, facials by me, derma spa md, spa med near me, body care med spa, alongside all this best best peel in Sarasota for enlarged pores info not to mention body treatment services, spa for facials near me, medical aesthetics procedures, facial spa sarasota, get a facial done, skin facial spa near me, beautiful med spa, a vampire face, prx treatment near me, sylfirm near me, as well as this high rated best peel in Sarasota for wrinkles forum which is also great. Also, have a look at this her response about perfect peel in Sarasota site on top of advance aesthetics, medspa growth, restore and rejuvenate, med spa courses, light med spa, facial care near me, skin revitalization treatment, spa and skin care, microneedling facial near me, laser derm medspa, as well as this additional reading about best peel in Sarasota for rosacea link with male aesthetic treatments, best botox spa near me, mint spa, enhance aesthetics and wellness, the med spa services, radiofrequency and fillers, best facial near, sylfirm x microneedling, body spa treatment procedure, skin rejuvenation treatments,  for good measure. Check more @ Top Drug Addiction Help Info e164de3

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"