Author Topic: Attempted robbery of my 20 year old son....true!!!!  (Read 4450 times)

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Attempted robbery of my 20 year old son....true!!!!
« on: September 29, 2009, 03:49:27 PM »
My 20 year old son was jumped by 4 guys last night. He (Quinn) was walking out of a Walgreen's around 10 PM Monday night. Someone punched him in the right cheek and knocked him to the ground. He looked up and saw 4 white guys about his age. One was kicking him in the ribs another was trying to get his wallet. He got to his feet but said they continued to punch him and with 4 of them he couldn't get away from them. Then he remembered that he had his box cutter that he needs for work so he pulled that out and they took off. He called the police, they checked the surveillance footage but the camera didn't hit the spot where it happened, I'm sure the thugs scoped that fact out when deciding to attack someone. The officer called for cruisers to patrol the area but told Quinn not to expect much because they were likely long gone.
Quinn said he has no idea where these guys came from, didn't notice anyone until he was on the ground. He assumes they were hiding behind cars or perhaps the pillar by the entrance. He usually changes in to different jeans after work and leaves the box cutter on his dresser but didn't change last night. We are thanking God for that.....literally!!!!! Had he not had the box cutter it could have been so much worse.
Hug your kids.....you never know what a day holds for them!!! I pray for mine each morning for safety for the day and am so glad I do!!!
Cath
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 03:55:19 PM by livetogarden »
zone 5b

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Attempted robbery of my 20 year old son....true!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 04:14:02 PM »
Thank God he is alright. That same kinda thing happened to my son a few yrs ago when he was walking somewhere at night not too far from our old house but he wasn't jumped and beaten. These guys in a car pulled up to him and jumped out of the car with a knife and said to him" Give us your wallet". He did and they looked inside for the money and he had nothing. They asked him for money and he told them he was in need of some himself and they said "oh sorry man, just give us your cigarettes then". He did and they drove off  :o. Creepo's from the deepo's out there running around all over the place. They did give him his wallet back tho.

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 04:20:09 PM »
Quinn said "Mom, I only had $5 in my wallet. Had they just asked for the wallet I would have handed it to them". This happened in a nice area.....obviously no place is really 'safe' anymore, huh? Quinn is 6' 2" tall and works out regularly and is 'ripped' as the young generation says. But having 4 people against one none of that mattered.
zone 5b

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 04:26:52 PM »
When they get in a group like that and go attacking people they aren't afraid of course cause they have the numbers. Alone they are prolly big babies.  Your son is so very lucky to have had that box cutter w/ him. My son is 6' 4" but he doesn't have all the muscles. I pray for my kids, family and friends also. God will protect them, I believe  :).

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 04:58:06 PM »
I was jumped as a kid. I had a newspaper stand, and had a long walk home through a rough area.
Seems like there were 6 of them. I was knocked down with a club.  I was around 14.  They took the little money I had in my pockets.
They missed 8.00 in my shoe!  8.00 was a lot of money. It was in the 40s

Jefferson said if you beat your guns into plowshares, you will be forced to work for the guy that did not!
Quinn, you need a better weapon.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 05:02:24 PM »
Wow, sorry to hear that.  I'm a firm believer in whatever means necessary when you're being attacked, so I'm glad he had that box cutter.  I've been on the receiving end of blunt force before when a car jacker jumped in my car.  I hope he's okay and not too banged up, and got all necessary x-rays.  I didn't know I was bleeding from my temple until 20 minutes later, and didn't know I had a concusion until the next day, so get checked out fully if he hasn't already.
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 06:30:55 PM »
I have gotten on his case a few times about not always remembering to leave his box cutter at home. I won't be doing that anymore! I can't stand to imagine what would have happened to him if he didn't have it with him. He has a bruised right cheek that has a huge knot on it, a scrape on that cheek, fat lip and sore ribs. He said he doesn't remember how many times he was punched.
My kid is 20 years old and works hard for his money. It is so disturbing to think there are kids his same age who would try to take what he has forcefully. Not to mention.......wouldn't most people think a 20 yr. old would be a bad target. I mean how much can you get from a  20 yr. old? Very sad world!!
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Monica

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 06:46:50 PM »
That's terrible.  There is a reason god didn't have him change clothes.
The irony of life is that, by the time you're old enough to know your way around, you're not going anywhere

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 07:22:27 PM »
Oh Cath, that"s terrible. I just can't imagine. Makes me so mad to hear stuff like that. And then to know they got away to do it to somebody else later. Well, just glad he's basically OK and probably will be more careful now.

We've been fortunate and never had anything like that happen. My one son though used to hang around down town a lot and lived down there for a while. He was fortunate I guess. He's had stuff stolen from his car, garage, even his house during a party but never forcefully.

Offline mascot

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 07:54:18 PM »
The guy who attacked me hit me in the side of my head with a pair of vice grips - repeatedly.  I grabbed the keys and got out of the car, he jumped in the driver's seat and realized he couldn't go anywhere so he ran, and I grabbed my crowbar and chased him.  Twenty minutes later he was apprehended by the cops and I went after him to knock his head off. The cop stopped me and grabbed my chin, looking at the side of my head and said, "so, you must be one of his victims".  I reached up and blood was dripping off my chin and I had a huge knot on the side of my head.  I vaguely remember him hitting me, but I couldn't tell you how many times.  The knot was enough to give me double vision the next morning, let alone the fact that I went home and fell asleep on the couch...only to wake up at 2 am with the front door wide open - I was so out of it with my concussion that I never closed the door.

Sorry, not trying to steal the thread, but these attacks can cause injuries that you won't know about until later...it's best to get checked out, especially for those ribs!

Hope for the best, and to catch the friggin punks! {-)
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 12:13:16 AM »
That's horrible but I'm glad your son was able to think quickly and protect himself.  In the news is the video of that honor student in Chicago who was beaten and killed by a bunch of thugs.  Very sad.  We live in violent and trying times......and I see things only getting worse.

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 12:39:37 PM »
Thank you to everyone for the kind thoughts and prayers. I even received a personal message from 1 ponder with caring thoughts in it. What a great group of caring people.
Quinn says he's more sore today than he was yesterday, which is understandable. But bless his heart, he's still going to work each day. Too bad the bums who jumped him don't have his same moral character........he HATES to miss work. Not only for his pay check but also because he says he knows it puts extra work on the other workers.
We took pics, I doubt we will need them because we aren't expecting these bums to get caught, but if on the slight chance they do we wanted to have pics to prove what they did to him.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 12:48:43 PM »
I hope he told his superiors and they notified the other stores in that area so other employees can be alert to the potential danger.

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 12:52:07 PM »
He was shopping at Walgreen's, he doesn't work there. The officer went inside the store so they are aware, however, I'm tempted to call or mail the main office and tell them their security cameras need to be improved on. This happened right outside the entrance but there was no camera pointing to that area, Quinn said they are mostly pointing at the parking spots.
zone 5b

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 01:36:05 PM »
What a great kid you've got there--and I think you were wise to take pics, you never know.  They could be picked up doing it to someone else, and admit that they did it to him.

This is a great reminder to all of us:  try to be aware of your surroundings.  Especially in parking lots, and in getting in and out of your car.  I think it's strange that they picked on a healthy, tall, 20 year old.  The outcome could have been much worse if they had picked on an elderly woman or man....they must have been desparate, which makes it really scary.

I'm so glad that he wasn't hurt badly.  I'll bet his senses are on high alert now.. O0
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 05:49:04 AM »
Quinn said he was looking around as he came out of the store. That's why he feels they were either hiding between cars crouched down or hiding behind the pillars at the entrance. He said he saw no one at all anywhere in the lot then was suddenly punched in his right cheek and found himself on the ground with 4 sets of feet kicking him. Man it's scary having kids out in the world. Like LuAnn said......If people will jump a strong, tall, fit 20 year old what won't they do??
I never carry a purse anymore. There were tons of purse snatchings 2 years ago at Christmas time. I decided then that a woman with no purse over her shoulder or in her hand would be less a target than one with. So from then on I put my license and credit card in my front pocket. I know this doesn't exempt me from being targeted but I do believe the chances are lessened by this. But isn't it sad that we have to think like this??!!
We are so thankful that, although he's pretty sore, he came out of this with only cuts and scrapes.
Cath
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 06:46:32 AM by livetogarden »
zone 5b

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 07:01:22 AM »
So sorry to hear this, Cath.  I'm glad Quinn will be alright.  He sure is a quick-thinking person, to pull out that knife, in the midst of all the blows.

This sort of thing is something that women have feared for years, but for muggers to attack a young, strong man, that shows how desperate and violent they are.  Many of them are pumped up on drugs, and know no fear nor pain, and have abnormal strength.

What's most distressing is the police's apparent lack of interest in trying to catch the criminals.  You know, it IS possible to catch bad guys.  Just watch Cold Case Files, or other similar shows, and you see that it IS possible to dig up leads and follow them and catch the criminal.  Cops often just don't care enough to try.  IMO.  (Sorry, no offense meant to the law enforcement people on this board, but I'm speaking from what I've seen and what I've experienced.)

Lastly, what is a box cutter, anyway?  I've been wondering ever since September 11, 2001. 

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 07:21:01 AM »
I'm glad your son is ok!  And BTW, a box cutter is one of those retractable blades in a metal or plastic housing.

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009, 07:24:03 AM »

Lastly, what is a box cutter, anyway?  I've been wondering ever since September 11, 2001. 

Like these:
http://www.tach-it.com/Box-Cutters

Offline jw

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2009, 10:22:06 AM »
Box cutters are great for cutting pond liners and cardboard and filter fiber and just about anything  ;D.

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2009, 07:21:34 PM »
And scaring off 4 young thugs!!  :D
zone 5b

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2009, 08:26:45 AM »
Ahhh.  That's what I thougth.  That's what we call a Stanley knife.

Cath, I hope your son will seek some therapy, or at least make sure he talks and talks about his experience.  We often try to act tough, but threatening situations like, especially at the hands of other human beings, that can really do a number on your head, and there can be emotional trauma that leaves scars down the road.  Just talking about it really helps lessen the impact.

Offline HOWELL

• Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2009, 08:36:49 AM »
So glad he is fine....my dormmate had something like that happening to him last night, but the thing is the other dude screamed and so my dormmate got scared and ran..
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline lorraine1960

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • Live--Love and pond :)
  • With us since: 18/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2009, 10:12:58 AM »
SOB es  it really pisses me off     >:(- >:(- .....they could have hurt him seriously..i have a 20 y.o son ...i'm sooo glad he is o.k. and as for the cameras...figures....anyway i know your heart went to your toes.... :(
lorraine

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2009, 04:57:31 PM »
Car burglaries have gotten really bad here.  Breaking into people's cars.  I heard of one street in a really nice part of town with a very strict police force, with a rash of brazen car break ins.  One block was hit four times in a short period. 

In one instance, people were out of the street, even directly across the street, and a lady had just gotten out of her car, a truck full of four men pulled up, they got into her car, knew right were to go to find her purse, and were gone in a flash, before anyone could chase them.  The cops almost caught them, but missed.  One of the bystanders saw guns in the car.  The cops say they are part of a gang from a part of town several miles away. 

They just have no fear.  Drugs, guns, irrational behavior - it's really scary.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2009, 06:36:40 PM »
Box cutters work good at cutting flesh. Just ask me how I know.

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2009, 08:46:23 PM »
OK, Esther,,,, story??

Offline JimMcD in SVAZ

• Members
  • With us since: 06/12/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2009, 09:55:48 PM »
Many stores will with hold video tapes in what they consider "minor problems" to avoid the cost of sending someone to testify, and to avoid what they think negative publicity.  Your son doesn't work for Walgreens, they consider it none of their business.
I'm here on a "Free Membership", the rest of you simply aren't paying to be here.  No, it isn't the same thing.

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2009, 09:45:16 AM »
How terrifying!  I'm so glad he wasn't hurt.  My oldest son will be 20 in a few weeks.  I am trying to picture what he would do in a situation like that.  I know he doesn't carry any kind of weapon.

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2009, 06:03:49 PM »
Barb....I hope you and your son never have to find out what he would do. This was very scary for Quinn and for us once we found out about it. Quinn says he feels ok today....no hurting for the 1st time since the incident. His right forearm is nothing but a huge scab from his elbow to his wrist as well as both knuckles are all scabs from hitting the pavement and from trying to fight back to get away. Sure wish we could give these kid's parents a piece of our mind. But who knows....maybe the parents are losers too.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 06:07:40 PM by livetogarden »
zone 5b

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"