Author Topic: New ! 500gal. goldfish pond writeup ! ( pics )  (Read 3848 times)

Offline spanishleprachaun

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • ~Building ponds and waterfeatures in San Antonio, tx
New ! 500gal. goldfish pond writeup ! ( pics )
« on: November 11, 2006, 09:09:30 AM »
Hey all !
Thought I would include a small general editorial on building a small 550gallon goldfish pond.
It's still great weather down here in South Texas, so my side projects continue !
The pond is 15ft in length and roughly 12ft at the widest. The floor dips from 19inches to just under 2 feet. ( You'll soon discover why later in the read ! ugh ! ) I put a flow meter to it upon fill and found it just to be a touch over 550gall.

Okay--- So here's how it all went down !
First, you want to get a idea on what you want.  In talking with Paula it was agreed the main points would be :
* proportion the pond to the area
* maintain waterfall to height of under 3 feet
* the sound and look would be that of a smallish trickle, minimal sound
* something to help visually detract from the rock waterfall area concerning it's raise above surrounding grade
* pond placed in selected location that still can be seen well from the back patio, kitchen, and living room area
* organic and natural look of pond rock and design
* a skimmer to help with the leaves from the tree above

We had already decided the best local to achieve the "see it well from back patio, kitchen, and living room area" would be here :

SOON TO BE THIS :

So gathering the preferences on what we were after I threw down a quick sketch so I could help Paula visualize a little better what the end result would resemble. You like my little STICK FISH in the pond ?!?!   o(  :-)~

We needed to clear out the site, so all those variegated gingers soon found a new home. Once we had a clear area to work in I took spray paint to make out planting bed areas and perimeter of the pond.

Digging was slow going as the neighboring Oak trees have these smaller surface runner roots that held on to every shovel full of dirt. Not even 8 inches below surface I run across a largish rock ? Hmmmmmmmmmmm.... just a large rock... no worries.. how big can it be ? I'll find the bottom and edges soon and get it out--- HA !.. little did I know this was the TITANIC of pond boulders ! Much more hid below !  :-\

With the excavated dirt, I began to build up the elevated planting beds to the right and left of where the falls would go.  This would help address the issue of using planting to help soften the eruption of rock the waterfall would appear if not for vertical element plants. We did not want this block of rock just to be sticking up on the end,.. here is where tiered or elevated beds can work wonders.

Remember that LARGISH ROCK I spoke of ? well it turned into a BIG OLE BOULDER !

It was eating about a foot into my pond real estate,.. but thought instead of extra money and labor time... why not use it to our advantage ? I would use it as a footer for a slate stone walk up feeding area ! Sometimes you have to roll with what cha got and improvise !  I proposed the idea to Paula and she loved it. Next,... I installed the SAVIO SKIMMER. A little rain came in and turned my dig into a sloppy mud mess ! Slinging mud for a couple hours will wear ya down ! Still trying to figure out how mud got in my belly button !??!  :-)~

3 pallets of Moss rock and 2 yards of decomposed granite was delivered. In this pic you cane see the weed block and first section of decomposed granite being put down.

Here comes the carpet and foam to act as a "preliner" to help protect the 45 mil liner from below. ( convenient the neighbors across the way had a enough to line the OCEAN as they had been redoing the entire downstairs for tile )

Next I took a 55gallon plastic drum used to hold liquid soda syrup to act as by biofilter. I took a recip saw and took off the top. I used a hole saw and cut a hole out of the barrel for my 3"uniseal. Pushed through a measured section of 3inch PVC pipe. I came back later and spray painted it black to hide the white pipe.
 The water from the 1250gph pump would take water from the skimmer, feed it into the bottom area of the drum and overflow out the 3inch PVC pipe and start the waterfall. A ball valve installed inline was installed to get the  precise flow for the main fall.

Make sure to have a solid sub base and level the drum ! You can also see the black 1 1/4" feed flex PVC hose that runs to the backside of the drum. I put a T-connector and a ball valve to allow for a second waterfall area !

Here comes the liner !

Some of the bigger 90+lb boulders coming in to create the waterfall area.

Here is where creativity comes into play ! If you never pasted the PASTA NECKLACE MAKING in pre-k ... well then I dunno what to tell ya... because piecing together and creativity takes poll position at this stage !  Use larger rocks for main spill areas and base rocks. Use flatish rocks for spill rocks as well. Always keep an eye out for interesting rocks that might serve better to "channel water" in a natural manner.

Take not above how I used different grades of gravel to start to fill in gap area around the rock. Don't forget as you create levels and pools.. to use foam to help seal up the gaps so you don't lose water UNDER THE ROCK. Don't forget about leaving some "PLANTING POCKETS" for movable potted plants or permanent plants to find a home.
I use the GREATSTUFF yellow foam found at any HOME IMPROVEMENT STORE ( Home Depot / Lowes ).
( Try your best not to get this on your hands !...lotion and fine grit sandpaper will take it off )
And when it's on your clothes --just forget about that shirt or pants ! That article of clothing just became another addition to your WORK CLOTHES !  >:(-

Check out the SPILL ROCK to the right of the pic. There is the second waterfall. Perfect rock with a down slope and jutting piece to the right to channel water right down the middle of it.

All decomposed granite in the area, and waterfall continuing to be built :

Some plants coming in to get the feel for the SOFT EFFECT of flora !

Right side elevated planting bed.  I stacked some and staggered in larger boulders for visual contrast.

I did not get any shots of the piecing of the perimeter rock around the necklace of the pond. I used a shallow shelf method to hide any liner. I pocket mortared in the rock for structural safety along the edge. Hooked up the skimmer, drain line from the biofiler, installed 2 underwater lights....  and then filled er' up !

« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 09:16:45 AM by spanishleprachaun »
Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx
* I build-redo-fix-fishcare-tweak-improve- and occasionally fall in ponds ?!?! :)

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: New ! 500gal. goldfish pond writeup ! ( pics )
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 09:45:32 AM »
That is just lovely . . . . you really do great work!  Sure wish I could find someone like you here in this area . . . . I'm sure they are really going to love that . . .

Um, did the stick fish live?  And are stick fish what they make fish sticks out of?

Offline Mucky_Waters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 10:15:43 AM »
Mmmmmm, yum!  Fish Sticks.  8-)~
Nice work leprechaun, I really like those progression photos.
It really helps show the steps involved in building a nice little pond.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 10:50:35 AM »
Very nice as usual. I bet that lady couldn't get the smile off her face for a while.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 11:50:21 AM »
Wow, what a difference!  Looks great, wish I had taken more "before" and "during" pics.
Karen

Offline justme

• Members
  • With us since: 10/10/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 04:14:03 PM »
Looks really good Carlos.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 10:23:47 AM »
Great tutorial as always Carlos!  Love your work.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 11:08:13 AM »
Bet you guys a nicKel that Sean will insert this in the tutorial forum, deservedly so!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 10:03:47 AM »
Looks fantastic as usual, Carlos   O0  O0 ........your very talented.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 09:19:21 AM »
That is gorgeous!

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 05:55:52 PM »
Carlos, you're in San Antonio, right?? I'm moving over to Dallas in January....would you consider building a pond for me? I'm totally serious!!
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 07:29:19 PM »
     Aww thanks all ! Happy to post some helping pics for the newbies that could use a little visual and instructional help in attempting a little goldfish pond.
**** JESSICA -- awwwwwwww... what a compliment ! EGO BOOST ! Someone wants me out of city ! WOO HOO! but ta'... so sorry.. I'm spoiled in that I just work within SAN ANTONIO city limits :(  Maybe when I rule the entire SOUTH TEXAS water feature and pond market with my MEGA www.aquaticescapes.biz company I will surely come up and build a pond for ya ! theheh    @O@ 
Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx
* I build-redo-fix-fishcare-tweak-improve- and occasionally fall in ponds ?!?! :)

GAJen

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2006, 08:32:47 AM »
All I can saw is AWW! Makes me want to put in a new one. 8-)~

Offline terri

• Members
  • With us since: 22/10/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2006, 09:33:48 AM »
Very nice! loved the progression photos...
You do nice work~
terri
1500 gallon pond. Most residents are 11 yrs old. Most are Koi, with one 9 yr old bullhead catfish. Residents took a trip of one hr to their new home. We all moved to this home just over a yr ago. They love their new digs!

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2006, 05:17:38 AM »
Carlos, I've always said you were the master of waterfalls...and you've proved it yet again.
You've also made a small pond look professional and inviting.  I'm glad to see that you have decided to go pro...I've always know that you are one.

Offline Rog

• Members
  • With us since: 24/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2006, 07:08:29 AM »
As always you do awesome work.

Offline SA PONDER

• Members
  • With us since: 29/10/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2006, 02:20:55 PM »
carlos, tried to e-mail you at your business email for price quote on a cleanour for next spring, but all i got was a email rejection stating permanent fatal error. is your bus. email not up yet??

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2006, 10:11:29 AM »
Fabulous job, Carlos!   O0
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2007, 08:49:38 AM »
  Thought I would post some pics when I was over in July  ! --- The planting sure have grown in !  Paula has aquired some interesting fish from me throughout the months and now they all have names !??!? haha   Enjoy ~~~~

THE VERY BEGINNING PIC :

AND NOW THE GROWN IN PICS:

Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2007, 09:43:30 AM »
Filled in nicely and the stuff looks very healthy and happy.

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2007, 03:01:41 PM »
I remember this dig.  Very nice now too.

Are you still just dappling or did you finally quit your "day job"?

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2007, 07:30:15 PM »
It looks wonderful! Ya done good! O0
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2007, 07:41:53 PM »
Fantastic job.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2007, 08:03:19 PM »
I must have viewed 15 times since it has been posted.  WOW.  Great advice and instructions.  You work wonders. 
Alfonso

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2007, 08:33:05 PM »
It's really matured nicely Carlos.  Thanks for the update.

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline milliemax

• Members
  • With us since: 02/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2007, 06:07:04 PM »
  Very very nice!
  I have a question, though. Do you test the falls as you are building them for "splash", as in the water splashing out of the pond area, or do just know how to place the rocks and such?
  I encountered a problem with my little preform pond and falls. A rock was in the wrong place, came in contact with the moving water resulting in the water being directed out of the pond! It took me a couple of weeks to find the diversion.
  DH has built a couple of waterfalls way back before we were even interested in ponding, and kind of tested as he went along (not knowing what he was doing except for being an artist/designer) He did OK.  Nancy
Nancy-going crazy! Want to come?
USDA zone 8, No CA

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2007, 12:53:12 PM »
What an improvement your beautiful pond made to that yard!
Great tutorial on pond building, you sure are talented!!!
Kathy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2007, 01:23:12 PM »
thanks all ;)  Millimax -- being that I have worked so much with waterfalls it all depends.  If I'm doing "cushy" pool falls, I know the splash will be minimul but be conscience of where the side liners are.  When I'm building taller, splashy-r type cascades,... always allow for a good amount of side liner to acount for wind drift and splash. My main focus when building more noticable falls , I like to trim the area with pond plants to catch the drops of splash and water and kinda steer the overspray a little better back towards the water areas.  I also don't cut TOO much liner away when I have extras around falls.  When it comes to the "wet run" after creation, if I did come up short.. I simple unravel the liner that was tucked as extra and I'm never short ;)
Carlos
www.aquaticescapes.net
San Antonio, Tx

Offline EagleEye

• Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2007, 07:43:18 PM »
Carlos,
As we all know, your are nothing short of AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2007, 12:56:20 PM »
Wow, that pond is just stunning.   8-)~

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"