Author Topic: What did you do with your old vinyl records?  (Read 2918 times)

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
What did you do with your old vinyl records?
« on: October 08, 2009, 11:40:52 AM »
I have six boxes of them that I'd sure like to get out of the way.  If I could sell them and make a few dollars that would be great too.  They range from some old 78s, jazz and popular music from the 50's & 60's and popular music from the 70's.

I'd put them on ebay but the packing and shipping worries me and I don't think they would sell for enough to pay ebay fees and make it worthwhile.  I thought of Craig's list but I'm a little nervous about potential creeps comming to the house.

Shot, beaten, starved, sold for medical research...
No wonder they run so fast.
Save a retired racing greyhound.

The Racing Life...One out of two will have NO LIFE after racing - Adopt a Retired Racing Greyhound

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do with your old vinyl records?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 04:16:25 PM »
Are they still in their jackets? I put some on Craigs list for free that weren't very popular I guess just to get rid of them. I arranged to leave them in a box on the porch and he came and picked them up and I never saw him. Why not try to contact someone who collects them and would know the real worth?
Pete has a slew of the little ones but don't have jackets. He once had a car with a turntable that fit under the dash and it would slide out to put on the record.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
  • With us since: 28/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 04:25:34 PM »
Believe it or not, they are coming back, don't sell them yet. They keep finding new ways to sell us our old music. Records, then 8 tracks, then cassette tapes, then CD's than MP3's. Now vinyl is coming back into style. Good luck buying a needle when you need one.

Never leave your partner, especially in a fire.

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 09:08:10 AM »
Yes, Esther they're still in their original jackets.

Really Bullfrog?  Even though the quality isn't the same as CDs?

The Racing Life...One out of two will have NO LIFE after racing - Adopt a Retired Racing Greyhound

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 09:13:05 AM »
Really, I heard it on the radio this week. It's a nostalgia thing. My daughter bought what really looks like a 1030's radio with a round dial in the front and a phonograph under the lid. Her mother and I played each record one time to set the sound levels and then recorded them on cassette tapes and put them away. My daughter has all of them in mint condition. Fleetwood Mac, Pink Floyd, The Doors, you name it. Hold them a little lo0nger and as more people make the move they will be worth more.

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 09:52:40 AM »
My 18 year old daughter and her college roommate have gotten into collecting old record albums.  They even have a record player.  They have bought several records at a vintage music store.  They think it's the coolest thing, and love the sound!  I saved a bunch of my old records, and promised them to my daughter when she comes home for a visit this weekend.  You should have no trouble getting rid of them on Craigslist, if they are a collectible type of music like rock and roll.  You can arrange to meet someone from Craigslist at a pubic location.  My dh had an absolute fit when he learned I sold someone some fish on Craigslist, and let them come to my house. 

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 10:43:21 AM »
My DH has been collecting the vinyls for years and he has a whole closet full..........mostly all rock and roll, folk and blues and some misc. I too hear they are coming back  ;D. Take care of them fishlips...........some may be worth a pretty penny  :o.

Offline 2vetts

• Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 11:44:36 AM »
we also have records and some 8 track . but what really intrigues me is term ''dh'' . i will hope it isn't designated hitter .

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 11:49:59 AM »
we also have records and some 8 track . but what really intrigues me is term ''dh'' . i will hope it isn't designated hitter .

lol you are funny 2vetts  lol. DH is short for Dear Husband, DW...........Dear Wife....................DS...............Dear Son..................DD................Dear Daughter etc. I had to decipher this also when I first came here. I had to  google it {:-P;;

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 08:54:43 AM »
I have a few of them. I keep them in a closet in those containers they used to sell to carry them.

I have one of those combo  CD player (doesn't work) Am/ Fm radio/ Cassette/ Phonograph. (doesn't work) I wished I knew someone that could fix it. It was from QVC that Piccone? one. I esp would like the phono to work. The motor works, but the table won't turn. Probably just an issue with the band (whatever you call it) in there. I would love to be able to play them again.

Offline Bullfrog

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 09:10:00 AM »
I managed a Radio Shack at one time and the absolute worse experience was when a customer came in needing a phonograph needle. You had to cross reference them and dig, dig, dig for 45 minutes for a $2.50 needle. I don't think they or anyone carries them anymore.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 07:44:58 PM »
I still have some of mine from the 60's and 70's.

I have 3 big boxes of albums that belonged to one of my aunts. Most are probably from the 50's and 60's and not real popular artists. I tried to sell them in a yard sale I had in August and NO ONE bought even one of them at 50 cents each. ::)
I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them. We have a used record store here so I may see if they will take them. You might also check and see if you have a similar store.
I may try Craigslist too. I hadn't thought about using it.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 04:26:47 AM »
Vinyl LPs are HOT - at least, in the right market.  There are people who never stopped buying records, and now they are rediscovering that they have superior sound and durability.  I've read several articles on the topic over the last 3 years or so.

Now, where and how to reach that market, I'm not sure. 

Guess it's a decision between not trashing something that could be valuable to someone and making a little money in addition, and getting rid of the darned things and not having to worry about them anymore. 

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 07:42:13 AM »
I checked Craig's list and it's surprising how many people have listed vinyl records for sale.  They seem to be listing them as a lot rather than individually.  Whether or not they are selling them I don't know.  I've never listed anything there.  It still sort of scares me because you never know who is comming to your home.  Anyone use Craig's list?  Any bad experiences?

The used record store is a good idea Desertponder.  Probably wouldn't get much for them but better than putting them in the trash.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 08:09:40 AM »
Do you have a Half-Price Books near you?  They sell books, records, tapes, etc., and give a fair price.  One trip in and you're done.

Unlike with Craig's List.

We had a thread a few months ago on excactly that topic, people's experiences with Craig's List.  I think Jerry started it.  Perhaps you can do a search.  Mostly good, but there were some cautions, too.  I know I posted on that thread... you can search my old posts and perhaps find the thread.  Or try Jerry's, because I think he started it.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 05:56:21 PM »
Our guilty little pleasure every Friday is that Kevin takes half a day at work, and we go eat at our favorite sandwich joint. One of the owners loves vinyl and has a huge extensive collection. He really knows his stuff, and I'm sure he would be interested in your stuff if it was the 'right' stuff. Vinyl collectors are very very very very picky! No scratches... and the album cover/artwork should be in pristine condition. Even when all that is considered, it's fair to pay less than 1.00 per album. .20 cents per album if there is any damage whatsoever. Obviously, rare undamaged vinyl gets a premium price. Every time a record is played, it's quality degrades. So if you have a record that has only been played 10-20 times or so, forget about it (unless it's a very rare specimen). Collectors want pristine stuff.
Which makes my 800+ collection virtually worthless- I played them too much. :'(
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 10:20:02 AM »
Karen I'm probably in the same boat with you as far as collectors go.  It is a collection that was played but I think still in excellent condition.  I don't expect a mint for them but a few bucks would be nice.

Julles thanks for the info.  I checked their web site and there aren't any Half Price Book stores in Michigan.  It looks like a great store though.  I hope they come here in the future.  I remember seeing the thread on Craig's List now that you mention it.  I'll do a search for it.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"