Author Topic: Overwintering Lotus questions  (Read 1604 times)

Offline Freddie Peepers

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Overwintering Lotus questions
« on: October 12, 2009, 12:48:21 PM »
here in zone 5 we have experienced a killing frost and all our terrestrial annuals have died. Our lotus has turned brown and no longer is sending up anything green. My container is on the patio and WAY too big to move. I don't have anywhere to put it anyway.
 I was wondering if I could carefully dig up the tubers in the big container and place them in a smaller container that I could then sink in the pond so that they don't freeze. Is this possible and would they survive? Thank you for any help
You can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Overwintering Lotus questions
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 07:56:16 PM »
If the tubers are no longer growing and are dormant, you should be able to dig them up and transplant them. I would wait a few days past the frost, before the pot freezes, and then try it. As long as the tubers do not freeze, you should be okay.

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 02:05:31 PM »
Hey Frank...you grow a number of lotus. so you may be interested.  Change is in the works that will eliminate the need to sell lotus as a tuber only.  No more  lotus season restricted to spring; someone wants one in June or July it is there for them.  Also it will allow them to be displayed and sold right off a shelf.
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline matherfish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 02:46:26 PM »
Hi Craig. Actually I did that this year.  I kept the tubers in water and they grew, but I sold the growing tuber. I planted them like that and they did fine, so I sold them on into July that way. I actually planted them all the way into September (9 pots planted then), and they all lived. Not sure if that is what you had in mind, but it worked. As long as the tuber is not planted, so that you do not have to dig it up and chance breaking the growing tip, the plants can be planted later in the summer.

Offline Craig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 03:52:15 PM »
Nope, this is going to be a world of difference Frank....there are no tubers involved.  Plants will be sent in a container and when transfered from container to pond, they bloomed in a month.  Or they can be left in the container on a shelf until they are sold.

In short, it is going to be a whole new way to sell lotus and the people that have seen it so far love it.  I need to organize my photos to show you.  Just waiting on final approval of the new logo before I do that.<g>
Craig     SW FL 9B

Offline matherfish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »
Craig, that sounds great. Okay, I am waiting  {:-P;;

Offline Freddie Peepers

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 10:20:42 AM »
OK i dug into the container and found a BUNCH of big fat tubers. Next question....what should I plant them in the smaller container that I plan to sink in the pond....would pea gravel suffice? or should I use dirt with the gravel on top as I did in the deck container?
You can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline matherfish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 01:03:50 PM »
Since you are just keeping them in the pot for the winter, either would work fine. You will need to get them out before they start growing next spring or you will break the tips most likely with gravel.

Offline Marie Fisher

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 03:55:11 PM »
Craig,I too would be very interested in your method of shipping lotus and/or their tubers.  I have
almost 100 varities of lotuses, just am quiet about it.  Frequently ship them.
So when you send information to Frank, would you mind sending me a copy too.

Marie

Offline Craig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 05:24:35 PM »
It isn't a shipping method, Marie; it is a complete regimen for growing lotus that ends up letting you ship them the way I now can, but it won't work on tubers.

When I have all my ducks in a row, I'll explain the in's and out's of my system in a Water Gardens International Journal article.  I'm not sure I'll make the deadline for the next one, but I figure the journal article will be the easiest way to answer any questions...at least any of the ones I can anticipate.<g>
Craig     SW FL 9B

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"