Author Topic: Heron made visit.....  (Read 1278 times)

Offline Gloria

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Heron made visit.....
« on: October 14, 2009, 07:42:28 AM »
Heron made visit to our pond this morning but he couldn't get in since we netted it and put sorta a snow fence around the pond
so we could keep the leaves out. Heron just stood by pond and turned his head back and forth tying to find a way in. But he couldn't
get in. Those plastic heron's don't work for sure but netting does.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Heron made visit.....
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 08:54:37 AM »
Fantastic!  Netting works for me too.  Darn Heron as beautiful as they look - darn them, in my garden that is. 

What is a snow fence?

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 09:47:10 AM »
Oh, you silly Californians!  lol  Just teasing.  It's a type of plastic fencing you see sometimes up north.  Usually around here they use it to protect plants like hedges, probably from the huge piles the plows kick up.  I've never used it, but good idea on keeping the leaves out!

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 10:38:28 AM »
What is a snow fence?

It's an orange plastic fence put up in the fall and taken down in the spring.  Placed alonside a driveway (usually) so that when the wind and snow blow in from a certain direction, the snow fence slows the wind and the snow drops by the fence:  allowing the driveway to not drift in..... ;) 

I'm with Katfish...you silly Californians!!!    lol   lol
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Gloria

• Members
  • With us since: 14/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 12:32:24 PM »
Ours is green. I guess you wouldn't know since you don't get snow or do you? :)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 12:49:58 PM »
The old snowfence was slats painted red about 4.5' high spaced maybe 3" apart and held together with a heavy wire twisted around the slats in a couple three places. The county placed them in strategic places where the wind typically blows and fills certain roads with bad drifts. The snowfence would be rolled up in the spring after the snow was over.

Darn heron. As much as I don't want wildlife killed, I have a heavy thought to take a gun to them when I see them.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 03:25:20 PM »
Gloria:  Under my pic when I post, it tells you where I live--Ohio--and YES, we get snow... :o
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 07:51:35 PM »
 :D I grew up in New Brunswick, Canada and never encountered the term "snow fence".  The things I've learned from fellow ponders.  ;D  The snow only around here falls on the local mountains about 4000' above sea level (you're talking about the white stuff that makes driving up the mountain difficult, right?).  I live at about the 350' elevation level and have never seen snow at my doorstep.  Frost? Yes.  Hail?  Yes.  I welcome all hints of winter so a snow fence sounds fancy to me.

I wish I could have a dog fence around my front yard to prevent neighbors' dog toiletry  :o

Offline crazyfishlady

• Members
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Graphic Design by Dianne
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 05:11:57 PM »
I've seen snow fence used along beaches in the gulf and Florida to catch the sand to replenish the dunes.
Dianne,
I'm really not crazy, I just talk to my fish.
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]http://3dflags.com/art/comps/usane01/3dflags_usane01-0001a.gif[/img] Nebraska
www.diannesgraphicdesign.com

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 10:00:59 PM »
Did he try to get into the pond and get tangled or stopped by the netting?  Or did he sense the net before even getting close?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"