Author Topic: Not a heron....but probably just as bad?  (Read 3232 times)

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Not a heron....but probably just as bad?
« on: October 14, 2009, 01:16:23 PM »
Heard some noises on the tin from the chimney, but didn't see the heron on the roof.  I didn't look very hard, but being a tall bird I usually see it from my patio.  The noises kept up so I went out front, and this is what I saw.  Another beautiful bird, but not liking the looks of this one!

Bigger pics next message...
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline mascot

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Not a heron....but probably just as bad?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 01:17:12 PM »
close ups....
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 03:23:48 PM »
Looks like you got yourself a Red Tailed Hawk and mostly they eat rodents and snakes but they will eat fish at the waters edge if they can snag one  :o. Not anywhere near as bad as the Heron as your fish will prolly swim away when they see it..........hopefully  {:-P;;.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 05:59:19 PM »
What a beautiful bird!  We have red-tailed hawks here that soar over our fields and watch from the electric poles.  You can hear their high-pitched "screeeee" when they are on the wing.  I would feel quite honored that a red-tail paid me a visit... O0

BTW--if you have any chickens, I'd get them in under cover quick....
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 07:36:10 PM »
Great shot of Rocky's new visitor!   {:-P;;  As if we didn't have enough to worry about our ponds.  RT hawks are beautiful especially when they can't see my ponds  :D  Love herons and egrets but like I said before....not over my ponds.  ::)

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 05:30:31 AM »
Wow, beautiful!  I hope he's just there to tell you how nice the area is, and not looking for a restaurant!

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 06:01:51 AM »
Beautiful

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 06:58:23 AM »
Hey Blind--have you researched to see if red-tails are fish eaters?  Honestly, I don't know if they are a threat to your pond or not.  I know they eat small rodents, rabbits, small birds, but I've never seen them around any of our open water areas here on the farm.
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 08:12:55 AM »
LuAnn-
I looked it up on Wiki and this is what it said:

The Red-tailed Hawk is carnivorous, and an opportunistic feeder. Its diet is mainly small mammals, but it also includes birds and reptiles. Prey varies with regional and seasonal availability, but usually centers on rodents, comprising up to 85% of a hawk's diet.[14] Additional prey (listed by descending likelihood of predation) include lagomorphs, shrews, bats, snakes, waterfowl, fish, crustaceans and insects.

So the answer is yes, but it's low on the list so I'm not sure if he's interested in partaking of my finned pets.  He seemed to be eating something when I first saw him, so I might have to go and clean up the nasty remnants (and maybe put something that will keep birds from landing atop my chimney like that!)

I did have Rocky in the back yard when I moved in on his play perch (when he was fully sighted) and there was a hawk circling overhead.  Notice Rocky's head cocked to the side so he could focus on the predator above him (way above him, not closing in).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 08:15:08 AM by Blind 'Too »

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 10:14:49 AM »
I knew they will eat snakes, I've seen them do that.  I'm not surprised that they eat fish since they are opportunistic, but I've never even seen one around our swamps or ponds.  I wouldn't leave Rocky outside like that at all, unless he is protected by a cage where the bird couldn't get to him.  And on all sides too,,,,,I've seen red-tails go into large trees, even evergreen trees SIDEWAYS (feet first with wings straight up in the air) to get at a bird!!   :o
LuAnn

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 10:48:05 AM »
Yeah, that was a controlled situation, I always look up in the sky, on rooftops if I'm going to step away for a picture, but that's all that was...just a kodak moment, then back inside.  I was a couple feet away and the hawk he noticed was way up there.  But no, he wasn't left "alone" for a second and he would have reacted if the hawk was circling too close.

It is kind of funny how he turns his head up like that.  For those who don't know, birds of prey, like Rocky, have eyes facing sideways, predatory birds, like the hawk, have eyes that face forward.  Just God's natural design, I guess.

Offline jw

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 11:06:26 AM »
What ever you do..............don't teach him to cluck like a chicken  :o.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 09:59:21 PM »
I bet Rocky could give that hawk a good run for his money, if it ever came to a fight between the two of them.

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 07:19:27 AM »
I bet Rocky could give that hawk a good run for his money, if it ever came to a fight between the two of them.
You might be right there!  Not seeing, he may have a problem, but when he was fully sighted he shot first and asked questions later if he felt he was being attacked.

I had him in the back yard the first year I got him and set him on a lawn chair to set up for a picture.  I didn't know there was a cat under the chair and it lunged at Rocky and he bit it on the nose and it was out of there like lightning!  I heard the noise and turned just to see Rocky lunge back and the cat screeaaam and up over a the fence.

Yep, it was a proud moment....my boy!!!  lol

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 09:35:00 AM »
That is a really nice wood stick stand for Rocky!  But out in the open you need to be careful.  Your new patio cover will be great for Rocky though when you let him out on his stand. 

My cocketiels are only allowed out to roam the yard when we are with them.  I worry about flying predators and the likes because our babies are so small (one of them does not realize she is a bird).  Scared the crap out of me when I saw a similar red tail hawk in my fruit tree when Kiwi was out gardening with me!

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 09:40:16 AM »
That is a really nice wood stick stand for Rocky!  But out in the open you need to be careful.  Your new patio cover will be great for Rocky though when you let him out on his stand. 

My cocketiels are only allowed out to roam the yard when we are with them.  I worry about flying predators and the likes because our babies are so small (one of them does not realize she is a bird).  Scared the crap out of me when I saw a similar red tail hawk in my fruit tree when Kiwi was out gardening with me!
Oh, the only reason it was outside was because that's where I was building it (cutting wood, drilling holes, etc) and I brought Rocky out to get some pictures.  It was always inside after that, and since he lost his eyesight it's been dismantled for chew toys and additional perches.  I would never have had him out there like that in the open, especially unattended.  I was a couple feet away when I took the pics and always check the sky overhead if I am stepping away from him, so he was never in any danger.

Yeah, those hawks have been known to plan an attack and swoop in and snag a small animal, gotta be careful, for sure.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 09:44:13 AM by Blind 'Too »

Offline JByrd

• Members
  • With us since: 17/10/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 10:36:44 AM »
Looks like you have a very nice bird there Blindtoo. Seems as tho there are many hunters flying and crawling around out there ready to grab our good friends.
Sugar  :)

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 11:05:40 AM »
Looks like you have a very nice bird there Blindtoo. Seems as tho there are many hunters flying and crawling around out there ready to grab our good friends.
Sugar  :)
Rocky is an awesome bird...thanks

Yeppirs...I've already lost all 6 of my Wakins to the heron that's been one of my regular diners here at the Lazy d pond!  'd' because it's shaped like a 'd', and Lazy because I was too lazy to put some mesh up to protect them! lol

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 05:18:16 PM »
Can I say, "You're talented!"?  The photo of the wood stand with Rocky looks very well put together.  If I had a large bird like Rocky I certainly would love to have a stand like that to keep them busy.    O0

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 05:38:49 PM »
Can I say, "You're talented!"?  The photo of the wood stand with Rocky looks very well put together.  If I had a large bird like Rocky I certainly would love to have a stand like that to keep them busy.    O0

hehe...thanks.  They make those for smaller birds too, just smaller branches and a smaller platform.  For a while I had it on top of Rocky's cage because he didn't stay on it when I put him there.  I figured I'd use up the 12 foot ceiling space.

The first was his old cage (fully sighted) and the second was after I got his new one (after he developed cataracts.)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 01:40:12 PM »
Very cool.  I must say it is very good to see someone care for a pet as well as you do.  I only wish cleaning the cages was less of a poopy job.

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 09:49:18 AM »
Cool bird pics! 

As for the hawk, we had one that was hanging around my pond for awhile.  I caught him standing at the pond's edge one day, and I don't think he'd stopped by to get a drink because it was pouring rain and there were puddles and standing water all around.   {nono}

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 09:54:11 AM »
BT, that is one cool bird. His twig perch thing is nice too. Does he like to chew? My mom's wanted to chew everything.

Offline Tommy1

• Members
  • With us since: 26/10/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2009, 03:35:34 PM »
I had some problems with Herons so I put out a fake, plastic Blue Heron and since then no bird problems. And it really goes with the decor so I don't mind it. And I can rest assure my fish are safe!

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2009, 05:07:13 PM »
I like that one, Tommy, and the price is good, too.

I heard that Herons don't like to dine with others, but also heard that the fake Herons only work for a short time and then Herons see them for what they are: lawn ornaments.  If it works, great....At 24 bucks I guess it's worth a try!

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2009, 05:12:04 PM »
BT, that is one cool bird. His twig perch thing is nice too. Does he like to chew? My mom's wanted to chew everything.
Oh yes, Cockatoos are very well known for chewing stuff apart.  Fortunately, Rocky only chews on his toys and has never really gone after anything outside his cage.

Check this video and look at his 'mess' at 1:16!

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2009, 05:07:06 AM »
Yes, he seems determined to take it apart in pieces, doesn't he?  I love how his "plume" keeps sticking up.... lol

Very nice background music too   O0
LuAnn

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2009, 07:10:26 AM »
That toy was almost completely shredded in one day!  I have to start buying the pieces in bulk and making the toys myself....saves me some money!

I'll let my friend know you like the music...he wrote it!

Here he is in his office....

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2009, 07:19:17 AM »
Martin's pretty good, and so is the band.  I like their music--I checked out their website a while back.  I'll bet they have quite a following.   :)
LuAnn

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2009, 11:27:17 AM »
And Martin is so humble it's almost ridiculous.  We kept trying to get him to do a drum solo and he always made excuses (as if he was being egotistical if he did).  There's one song where there's heavy drums at the end and he always ad libs but never takes it too far.  We always wish he would!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"