Author Topic: Our house fire...blog link added  (Read 5261 times)

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Our house fire...blog link added
« on: October 18, 2009, 06:57:35 AM »
 :'( :'( :'(  Last night, Saturday, we had a house fire. I was cooking something on the stove and the screen for the exhaust fan fell and landed in the skillet, flames then shot up in to the exhaust fan tube and the entire stove was engulfed in seconds. We had 6 fire engines here, Red Cross and a squad for my husband. The entire kitchen is gone and house has water and smoke damage. I have a burned big toe, husband, Rich, has 2nd and 3rd degree burns on the bottom of 1 foot. All critters....2 dogs plus 1 dog I was sitting for and a rabbit we were able to remove right away. We couldn't find our cats. After leaving the emergency room at 4AM this morning my best friend and I settled Rich in at a hotel and we came back to the house to hunt for them. After searching for about 20 minutes they both finally came to us. Our house is uninhabitable for who knows how long. We stayed at a hotel last night (Actually this morning since we didn't get out of the ER until 4 AM). I can't sleep so am e-mailing people to get prayers started. Please pray for smooth and quick claims from our insurance and for healing for the 2 of us, mainly Rich since his injuries are way more severe than mine. I am trying to find a place for the cats. A neighbor took our dogs for now but cats will need to be kenneled. Since it's Sunday morning none of them are open. Poor kitties are stuck in a stinky bedroom with the windows open for ventilation.
A very scary ordeal but thank God....literally, both of us are basically ok. A bit freaked out but ok.
Cath :'(
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 08:24:47 PM by livetogarden »
zone 5b

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Our house fire
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 07:06:16 AM »
WHAT!!!!?????  OMG Cath, please pm me with an address, let me know what you can use or need and it will be on its way to you as fast as I can get it there.  Prayers are already surrounding you.  I wish we were closer, I'd take your cats for you.  Poor babies.  I hope you and your hubby heal quickly--man, what a freak thing to happen.   :-\ 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline fishlipsmcgee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 07:16:30 AM »
Sending prayers for whatever you need.  What a terrible thing to have happened.  I hope you find a place for the poor kitties to stay too.  Hoping you get settled back in your home as quickly as possible.
Shot, beaten, starved, sold for medical research...
No wonder they run so fast.
Save a retired racing greyhound.

The Racing Life...One out of two will have NO LIFE after racing - Adopt a Retired Racing Greyhound

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 07:29:56 AM »
So sorry to hear that....glad you're all "okay" and I hope that things get resolved quickly so that you can get your home repaired properly and get back in.
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 08:11:43 AM »
Oh my word. Fire is so frightening. It just goes so quickly. I hope this all gets settled quickly, and you guys heal well.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 08:14:40 AM »
ohmy a lousy screen falling did all that!  You just never know.  Prayers for you and yours.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 08:43:18 AM »
Oh how horrible!  I'm so sorry and hope that all of the clean up and reconstruction - pretend you just decided to renovate your kitchen - goes smoothly.  Poor kitties but they are alive and that is what matters for all of you.  Whew!  Even so, this really sucks. 

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 10:17:59 AM »
Oh my..I am SO sorry this happened. Prayers surrounding you for quick healing and a fast return to your home. I hope someone can take the kitties for a while.
:hug:
Kay

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 11:04:28 AM »
That is so insane!  Prayers for you and your family, including the non-humans, to heal quickly!  I like what Jonna said about the remodel.  Now that is positive thinking! 

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 11:40:11 AM »
Terrible news to hear Cath. I'm also with Jonna here.

A coworker suffered terrible damage in the Northridge earthquake. Not to downplay the trauma his family endured for months and months, but when repairing / rebuilding the place he added all sorts of changes and improvements they had always wanted. "I want to make sure we will get something out of this" was his attitude.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline JByrd

• Members
  • With us since: 17/10/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 03:11:25 PM »
That is just awful and I hope your insurance pulls through for you.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 04:11:23 PM »
Oh Cath, I am so sorry, but you guys and all your critters are safe........thats what its all about. o(:-)

I helped a friend clean up after a fire and know how awful it is, that smell is hard to forget.  Take care of yourself and hubby.  I hope all goes as easily as possible for you guys.

:hug:
Karen

Offline emm

• Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 05:20:23 PM »
Very sorry to hear that you were both burned in the fire.  Sending healing thoughts your way.  It's a shame that your home was seriously damaged, hope that the repairs and rebuilding go smoothly.  Thank goodness it was no worse and that your pets are safe. 

emm

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 06:50:26 PM »
I'm so sorry! Fire is one of my biggest fears!  You have lots your prayers coming to you from California!

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 08:16:15 PM »
Cath, I know that we live very far away, but if there is anything we can possibly do please count us in. Nebraska is very far from us, but if you need a good home for your pets while you rebuild, or anything else, we'd gladly provide a good home/help/support. I'm so glad you're OK!
Been there- it's awful sad. So sorry. 847-487-9175. Any time!
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 08:41:02 PM »
OH NO, so very sorry. Glad you weren't hurt more severely or anyone else.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 10:12:59 PM »
Cath, this is horrible!  As I read, I thought it would just be a skillet fire, or a tea towel or something.  But your story kept going on and on. How awful.  I am so sorry.  What a mess to clean up, and to deal with.  Glad everyone is basically OK. 

But, gee, how horrible and sad.

Sending good thoughts and positive wishes!!

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 10:52:24 PM »
Thank you everyone for the kind posts, prayers and thoughts. I am functioning on 2 1/2 hours of sleep since Friday night so please ignore anything that's weird. ;) Rich and I are staying at a hotel for now.....basic hotel, 1 bed and that's it so we get cabin fever quickly. We actually went back to our house for a while this afternoon so we could sit in our screen gazebo by our pond for some sanity. As posted earlier my friend and I found both cats and put them in a bedroom until I could find a kennel for them this morning. When I stopped by the house in daylight today I discovered that bedroom's screen had been yanked out by the firefighters, our yard was pitch black in the wee hours of the morning so neither of us noticed then. So my newest concern was that the cats were in a room but the window was wide open and it had no screen. One cat came right to me but the other couldn't be found. I went back to the house twice during the day to hunt for her, hoping she was just hiding extremely well and not that she had gone out the window. I put some wet food in there and when I went back home for the 3rd time tonight to check the food had been eaten so at least I knew she was in the room. Our son came by to help me find and catch her. Between the 2 of us we finally did but now I am clawed big time on my arms and hands, poor kitty is so so scared!  :'( But I got her in a crate and she is waiting till the kennel opens tomorrow so she can join her 'brother cat'.
We both need to check in with the dr. tomorrow to have our wounds redressed. Rich can not put any weight on his foot and is on crutches so can not drive. He actually had vinyl flooring embedded in the sole of his foot......OWIE!!!!! He will be off work for a while, will find out how long during the dr. visit. No news from our insurance yet. In the light of the day even I was stunned by the damage and I had seen some of it after the fire was put out. I will post pics at some point. The kitchen ceiling and soffits above the cupboards are gone, the ceiling fan melted, we had vinyl faced cabinets and they are all melted, the heat exploded the entry door glass and it's spewed all over the back porch, basement stairs and kitchen floor. The kitchen floor has about 1/2 inch of standing water, hardwood floors in living room and hallway are water damaged, basement has water on some items, yet to be determined if that is leakage from the kitchen floor above or just from the water from the fire hoses, the entire house has smoke and water damage....every wall and ceiling is black now. Our bathroom is 2 rooms away from the kitchen and the mini blinds at the bathroom window melted. Totally unreal how much damage occurred in a pretty short length of time.
Please continue the prayers for insurance work to process quickly and for Rich's foot, oh and for insurance to find us a residence hotel so our dogs can stay with us. A very dear neighbor is keeping them at her house for the time being.
None of you will ever know how much it means to me to have you there for me.
God bless you all!!
Cath
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 10:56:04 PM by livetogarden »
zone 5b

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 12:27:15 AM »
Man, I read this, and just don't know what to say.  I just can't imagine. 

Here's pulling for you on the insurance claim.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 05:01:51 AM »
Cath, this is just devastating news about the damage to your house.  I am SO glad you found your other cat, you must be very relieved.  I hope your insurance company moves quickly for you so you can start rebuilding.  And to make it worse you and Rich have wounds so you really can't get in there to clean, that is--if it's safe to get in there.  I'm so glad all of you and your pets got out of there--the intense heat caused by fire that can melt plastics, also produces such deadly gases in the smoke that is more deadly than the actual fire. 

You WILL get through this, although now is has to feel overwhelming.  Prayers for you and your family as you move throught the days ahead... :hug:
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 06:26:12 AM »
Good morning everyone,
  I was able to get some sleep...slept from 2:30 AM to 7 AM. Strange how everything races through your mind when you finally settle down a bit. I flopped around from midnight until 2:30 when I finally fell asleep. My brain just replays so much that went on it's hard to relax enough to finally fall asleep.
I am off to take the 'finally found' cat to the kennel. It opens at 8:30. Here's hoping in he light of a new day things get taken care of some. Haven't heard from insurance since the initial call at 4AM Sunday morning.
Take care everyone! I will check in now and then....hotel has a computer.
Love you all!
Cath
zone 5b

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 07:13:31 AM »
 :hug: Glad you're ok!

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 08:38:04 AM »
I'm visualizing your home. Sick!!
My grandparents lived across the street from us when I was growing up. One winter grandpa took the blow torch up a ladder to thaw out the down spout on the back of the house. Somehow he managed to set the house on fire, but in the attic so it wasn't noticed downstairs two stories until a guy driving by saw smoke coming out of the roof and stopped to tell them. The fire had proceded across the attic unhindered by walls and so when the fire trucks came, there again was water and smoke damage throughout the whole house. Same thing Cath, hard to believe how quickly the fire can advance and how much damage the smoke and water does. I remember standing in the kitchen with my aunt. We both had push brooms and I swept the water and crud that was coming down the back stairs, out the north entry door in the kitchen while my aunt swept it out the south porch doorway.

They were lucky as we lived across the street and they moved in with us so it wasn't so difficult as you guys have it.

I'm surprised you are sleeping at all. I do that same thing. I lay down and then all the bad stuff keeps repeating over and over in my head. I've taken to going out on the couch and turning on the TV and falling asleep with it on. Not a good thing I guess.

Offline Jonna

• Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 08:59:22 AM »
Oh my, that is horrible.  I remember seeing these videos in training that showed how fast a house can go up, I've seen the results but watching it go with a timer on the screen was horrifying. 

I'm afraid you will have many frustrating days ahead of you dealing with the insurance but don't let them wear you down. That is their goal to get you to take less than you deserve.  Stay on them even when you just want to give up.  I hope that isn't what happens but I've heard so many horror stories on it that I fear it is more common than not.   

Hang in there.  I hope your husbands foot heals well and soon, that has to be really frustrating for him that he can't drive or walk around. 

Hugs from the Yucatan,

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 12:39:50 PM »
I'm so sorry! Fire does a great deal of damage, far more than one realizes. Then you add the water and firefighters to it and you have a bigger mess. ;)

It could possibly be some time before you can inhabit your home again so I would be looking for a rental. You might need to try to foster your pets. The cats would probably be o.k. at the house if you can confine them to one part of the house and then come and take care of them daily.
Check with local rescue groups to see if they have any volunteers that might be able to help foster your pets until you get something worked out.
One thing you could do if its practical for your area is rent or buy a 5th wheel trailer to live in. Park it in your driveway, etc. and then you can be close to the house, your pets can stay with you, etc. Of course this isn't always an option depending on where you live but it is something that my department does suggest to people when they've had a fire such as yours.
Do not keep anything from the house that was in immediate exposure to the fire, smoke, water, etc. Particularly anything porous such as clothing, towels, cloth furniture, etc. The aftermath of a fire is very toxic and you don't want to keep or reuse anything if you don't have to. Its not even a real good idea to try to clean or wash porous items. Don't keep any food items that were in the kitchen. Canned goods should be o.k. unless they came into direct contact with heat and flames.

I know this is beyond stressful and then it doesn't help when you're hurt as well. Take it easy and hope that you can start getting things back to some sense of normal soon.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2009, 03:41:28 PM »
Just a quick update...we are now in a residence inn where our dogs can be with us. We are viewing a furnished townhouse tomorrow morning. If we are ok with it we will be styaing there until we can move back home. We stopped by the house today and 3 neighbors came over, each poked their head in the kitchen and were appalled at the amount of damage. People have been so kind. Husband has recieved dozens of calls and mails from co-workers, neighbors are taking us to dinner tonight, a friend of a friend (who I have never met) brought brand new bed pillows to my friend today for her to give to us.
The day has held some strange happenings, I used the toilet in the hotel this morning and it overflowed when I flushed it....wasn't clogged so who knows what that was all about. My husband heard "You've got to be kidding me!" come from me as I came flying out of the bathroom. I turned the water supply off and tossed towels on the floor. THen we got settled in to this present residence inn and shortly after that the lights blew. We're almost afraid what will come next. I imagine it will be quite funny when we look back on all these weird things in the future (except the fire of course). If I wasn't living it I would think it was made up.
zone 5b

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2009, 03:48:04 PM »
Oh my Cath, that is kind of funny... {:-P;;  It probably seems like a dream--you oughta keep a journal of it all because you'll forget stuff when it's all over with all the stress involved.  You can look back on the good parts and remember things that you've forgotten.  I hope you and your DH are healing okay.  Please keep checking in--we need to know you are all okay.   o(:-)
LuAnn

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2009, 04:52:20 PM »
Luann, that is a fantastic idea for Cath to keep a journal. She will have so many things going and may have trouble keeping it all straight. So it won't be just to have a memory of this experience to read later but to help her pinpoint when certain workmen were called, their phone numbers, and what she was told and when and then what was done etc.

I know that Dawn kept a journal of EVERYTHING that went on with Braeden and she can tell you exactly what treatment went on what days and what the meds were on what days. She also knew all the nurse's names and who worked what days.

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2009, 07:47:42 AM »
Esther,
  You gave me an idea. We have received so many calls asking for details and insurance updates that we will be doing a 'blog' journal.
  We looked at a temporary housing possibility this morning.  We would be better off living in our tent in the back yard. Rich is on crutches and the ins. gal told the housing search company that fact. We get to the place and they have a furnished 3rd floor unit in an apt. bldg. with no elevator plus I have better bedding for my dogs. I don't think I would have even let the dogs on this furniture. GROSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! We don't expect the Ritz but we do have standards that we feel we are entitled to. This place was right out of the 70's and smelled liked Lysol. Plus the rental agent was a piece of work. She didn't even bother getting out of her chair when i stepped in to the office and I left not even knowing her name. Interesting!
  A claims adjuster is meeting us at the house at 10:30 this morning. We will know more after he sees everything.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2009, 09:25:06 AM »
Don't be intimidated by unfeeling insurance people--their jobs rest on saving their companies money--hopefully you have an agent that will work for you.  If not, when this is over (and it will be) get one who does.  It seems for a while, that's all I did, but there's nothing like a "home town" agent who knows you personally and will go to bat for you.  I hope you can get settled into someplace soon where you are ALL comfortable and it meets your standards.  No one wants to live in a funky, stinky slum while their house is be remodeled.  I wonder if the rental agent who couldn't stand would like to live in a place like that? 

Take advantage of the kindness of others:  it is so much easier to give and much harder to receive.   :)  I hope the adjuster has his head on straight and gets this thing moving FAST!   8)
LuAnn

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"