Author Topic: Pond expansion with some pictures.  (Read 2366 times)

Offline vibraphonusrex

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/09/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Pond expansion with some pictures.
« on: October 24, 2009, 09:00:19 AM »
Well, last weekend we finally did the big pond expansion!  There's a lot of tweaking to do, but it's up and running and the fish love it.  We went from about 800 gallons to just over 3200 gallons.  I wanted no rock or gravel on the bottom, a bottom drain, and a vortex filter with another biofalls.  The deep end is five feet deep, with the bottom gradually sloping down to the drain from a 30" depth.  The whole thing's a little overwhelming right now, but I'll get used to it.  The important thing is that the fish will be happier and healthier.  I just have to get used to the new filter set-up; there will be a new routine for me to follow now.  I tried to pick some pictures to show the progression from start to finish.  I can post more later.

I just had to include that one with me wearing the hard hat.  We worked until 3:00 AM the one morning and it got a little goofy!  Anyway, hope you like the pictures and I'll send more as the pond progresses.

Bob Blomberg
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 09:03:32 AM by vibraphonusrex »

Offline rdrboone

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Pond expansion with some pictures.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 10:08:34 AM »
WOW!  That is a gorgeous pond.  Your fish are enormous and beautiful.  Can't wait to see it planted.
Ruth
Ruth

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 10:42:28 AM »
WOW! is right!  That's a lot of digging and in the dark to boot.  Your koi look very happy.  Great job.  Post more photos of your ponds progress. Please.

Offline water_sprite

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 10:47:52 AM »
Awesome!  I love it!  Good job!
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 05:45:57 PM »
WOW, what an expansion!! Love the setting by the gazebo. Mercy, a pickax!! We have it so easy here as we have total sand. You have hauled a heap of rocks. Bet you're sore. Looks good though.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 08:26:19 AM »
What an inprovement!  A big job! O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline vibraphonusrex

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 10:57:28 AM »
Hi again, and thanks for the positive feedback!  Yeah, the pick-axe got used on some of the stubborn clay stuff that we found down there.  We worked hard yesterday, too, and I'll post a few more pictures later.  I got my "Big Spidey" soft rush plant back in.  The fish love that plant, because the long arms are great for hiding; every time I go out to the pond, there are probably six or seven fish sitting under there.  I also sank a big, plastic milk crate so there would be a cave for the fish.  Man, was it cold in that water; I had waders on, and I just about lost all feeling from the waist down!  I can't wait until I have to use a mask in a couple of weeks to tape a liner fold down in the deep end!!  Brrrr.

Bob Blomberg

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 03:32:25 PM »
Hee hee.  I was going to comment on the late-night work, too.  Don't projects always get a little out of hand, and take so much longer than anticipated, but you just don't want to quit 'til you've accomplished what you set out to do.  Know the feeling, I sure do.    :D

Question:  The first shot is so filled in with plants - is that your "before" photo?  Surely your expanded pond doesn't have that much growth around it already? 

It's lovely.  I'm jealous of the large size.

Offline vibraphonusrex

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 03:12:02 PM »
Yes, the first shot was a "before" picture.  The new version of the pond will have some plants in pots in the shallower end, and nothing much in the deep end.  It's going to be a sort of hybrid pond.  The fish love the plants, especially "Big Spidey," but they also need to have a cleaner environment, with deep water and a true "Koi pond" design.  So, my pond guy, who has built both kinds of ponds, watergardens and Koi ponds, was more than excited when I wanted to combine the two theories into one.  Be patient:  I do have more pictures coming.  I've been working hard to finish some of the landscaping around the pond before really bad weather sets in. 

Bob Blomberg

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 06:58:45 PM »
Bigger is better.  Way to go.  O0 I'm a huge fan of waterfalls.  Your waterfall sure does look wonderful.
Alfonso

Offline vibraphonusrex

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 07:38:23 PM »
Thanks, I really love the new waterfall, too, as do the fish.  What you can't see is the first waterfall and stream.  The new, big waterfall is serviced by the 3-stage vortex filter and bottom drain, and the stream and smaller falls are serviced by the skimmer.  They make for plenty of aeration and filtration!  And yes, with the beasties growing by leaps and bounds, bigger IS better!!

Bob Blomberg

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 09:51:28 AM »
Very nicely done.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 10:21:50 PM »
Bob, WOW  8-)~....Jerry was just asking if I had gotten any recent emails from you or heard how the expansion went.  I've been so busy and absent from the board here for some time, but was so thrilled to see this post as I nosed around tonight.  It looks FANTASTIC, O0 we will definately have to come and see it next season.  Maybe it will give us some ideas for improvement.  I must admit your fish look as if they have grown huge.....and did you get MORE, or maybe it is because they look so big.  Let me know if you want/need any plants or lilies next spring. 
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 06:12:21 AM »
Bob and Marla - you know one another?

Offline vibraphonusrex

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 04:36:39 PM »
Marla, sorry I haven't emailed you yet!  So much has been going on, what with the pond, and concerts, and all.  There are five "babies" in the pond right now as well as the original fish.  These are the babies that made it through last winter; they will go to new homes in the spring.  I also have five babies in an aquarium in our sun room; they appeared this year, and I thought they would fare better in there for the winter.  They will also find new homes in the spring.  The original guys and gals are getting bigger, which is the main reason I wanted the bigger and better pond.  By the end of next summer they will probably be close to 28" long!  You guys are welcome anytime to come check things out!

Bob Blomberg

Offline marla

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 09:33:17 PM »
Bob and Marla - you know one another?

Yes I met Bob on another forum that we belonged to,  He lives about 45 min away, and we had the privlage last year of visiting him and Joanne at there home last year, and I must say they are some of the friendlest people, and have a lovely yard and home.  This summer they came out and visited us.  Now it is a must to get back to their place and see the new expansion close up and personal.

Bob, if your fish get to be 28" next year they will have outgrown mine, but then they have lots of space now to do all that growing in.......are the ones looking for homes, koi, shubunkins or goldfish?   Yes we would very much like to come out and see the new expansion next season.
Her secret is patience.

Offline reptilegrrl

• Members
  • With us since: 04/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2009, 10:50:16 PM »
That is positively gorgeous!
My pond is a turtle pond!

2006: ~135 gallons of water in a 150 gallon stock tank.
2012: ~250 gallons in a 330 gallon stock tank
2013: ~40 gallon in-ground wading pool for my box turtle

One RES, and a passel of gambusias.

Offline vibraphonusrex

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 06:58:18 AM »
Marla, Blade says the little guys in the aquarium are goldfish.  I think most of the new babies in the pond are goldfish as well, but I'm not good yet at being able to tell.  I don't remember seeing any little barbells on them.  I'm still trying to learn all the Japanese names for the Koi I have; Blade just rattles them off, and so does his wife.  The interesting thing is that I have two black Koi, and several of the babies in the pond are full black. 

Bob Blomberg

Offline marla

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 06:16:08 PM »
I would have thought most if not all would be goldfish or subunkins.  Normally the koi will not breed till about 3 yrs old, but sometimes it is more by weight or girth.  Goldfish babies start out as a greyish/black kind of color and then change sometimes the color does not change for a full season, sometimes very soon and, sometimes they remain black, I have one black longfin goldfish.  Shubunkins will change colors sooner.  You are right if they do not have barbels they are not koi.  I am not good at all the koi varieties either, mainly the common ones, but there are varieties that look very similar to me.
Her secret is patience.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"