Author Topic: Question to parents of Halloweeners  (Read 2258 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Question to parents of Halloweeners
« on: October 26, 2009, 07:04:26 AM »
For years I have thought to make something for the Halloween kids but didn't as didn't want the parents to throw it out in case it had something harmful. I just happened to think that I could put a name, address and phone number sticker on the package. Would you let your child eat something like this if you knew where the kid had gotten it? I have wondered myself though that if someone wanted to inject something terrible into a commercially packaged item they could easily so I don't know what protection a packaged treat is. What do you think?

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
Re: Question to parents of Halloweeners
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 09:17:08 AM »
My parents used to check my candy before I was allowed to eat it. There was the story of a razor blade in an apple. I think it's bunk. What I think now is that my parents checked my candy so they could get first dibs on the good stuff.  ;) If there were really any bad stuff in the candy, the police would be all over it and the person responsible would be caught quickly. Don't you think? Maybe I'm too idealistic (I know I am).

I would totally love to make home made treats, just don't have the time. I would let my kid eat home made treats- they're probably much more wholesome than packaged stuff.

On the other hand, some kids are allergic to certain things, so it's easier to determine the ingredients of packaged stuff. That's why we're only allowed to bring packaged things to school parties. No peanuts, and there is one kid in Matthew's class who is allergic to strawberries.

Even then, I made chocolate covered pretzel sticks one year and the teacher had a "don't ask don't tell" attitude. For the rest of the year, it was home made treats for every event.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 09:19:27 AM »
If I knew you personally I would probably be o.k. with it. But on the other hand I would wonder if it really came from you or someone else put your name on it. I would want to call and ask. ;)
We have people drop off baked goods, candy, etc. at the fire station quite often and many of the members won't eat it because they don't trust it. Often times the items end up in the trash. People are getting more cautious when it comes to eating food when they don't know the source. Sometimes I think about it, sometimes I don't.
This weekend when we did a transport to the hospital I picked up an apple from the EMS lounge. My paramedic says "you're really going to eat that?" I said "yes, why?" He says, I don't think I would want to eat or drink anything that came from the ER due to the flu." Good point but I washed it well and then ate it.:)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Pa Nancy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 09:36:19 AM »
It's been a few years since our Trick or Treating days, but I wouldn't let my kids have the home made stuff unless I knew them very very well. Esp how clean they kept the kitchen. You can know and love someone forever and trust them, but cleanliness is important too. 

Example we had friends that lived across the street from our hunting camp. GREAT people good friends, always thought of the kids, and she loved to bake and would bring us something over all the time.  Then one day we needed to use their phone. They were going to be away for 2 weeks, but we had the key to their place. The phone was in the kitchen. While there we saw that she had dirty dishes in a dish pan laying in water,(for 2 weeks!!!!)  it was awful, THEN i noticed she had the DOG'S dish in along with the other dishes. UGH!!!! We never ate another thing from her.

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 09:55:24 AM »
I'm not a parent, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn....

I think the thing that has to be considered is whether your T & T'ers are all local to your street/block.  Around here, people drive up in an SUV and their kids come and get candy and then they drive off.  They stop in all the neighborhoods, and only at the houses where they see activity.

So the safe bet would be to only hand out home-made food items to kids you know, or you know their parents - and still put a label on it so they will know it came from you when they check their night's haul. 

The hordes that drive up to active homes that aren't anywhere near their own may allow their kids to eat it, it's hard to say.  But because the parents already showed a lack of cooth I wouldn't want to hand out my name and address to people like that.

I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 11:40:04 AM »
Yup, your comments all were things that were running through my head. Guess I'll do the stuff for special kids and hide in the den with the porch light off for the evening. LOL

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 03:49:59 PM »
I agree with 'Too - people in a small community who know you would probably have no qualms; in fact, they'd probably be fondly remembering all the carmal popcorn balls and candy apples that neighborhood ladies put in their own Halloween bags. Do put your name on them, but I'd use the pre-printed peel-and-stick labels, not hand written ones, so people know some creep didn't sit at the ocmputer and type your address on lables.

Have fun, Esther.  Those home made popcorn balls are what Halloween is all about.

Oh, and the stories of razor blades in apples are TRUE - although quite old.  More recently, bad guys have been putting poison in candy; that's why parents go through the bag and discard anything that is not wrapped, or that looks tampered with.

We, too, get the car loads of people from other neighborhoods coming over here because "we have better candy."

I give out toys, too, from the dollar store.  Many times I have to be at work when the Trick-or-Treaters come by, so I make up bags of candy ahead of time and put them on the porch, with instructions for each child to take one.  Well, one year teenagers stole all the candy (I was home and heard them).  So now I put out toys, too, and let the kids pick one or two.  That way, even if the candy disappears, the kids will still be able to choose a toy (teenagers won't steal sidewalk chalk, for instance).  The kids LOVE coming to my house!

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 04:00:59 PM »
I can remember when the razor blade/needle thing started. I think I was past the trick or treat stage but I remember my parents going through my bags after trick or treating and throwing out anything that was homemade. That would have been 40 years ago +/-. Yikes!:(
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 06:21:42 PM »
40???!!!  :o {:-P;; :'( >:(-

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 08:43:17 PM »
40?  Yeah, unfortunately I can remember way back then too.  :'(  I'd be real careful about giving out your homemade goodies to strangers.. It could backfire on you.... >:(  {-)

Anywho, my kids have grown up on the street we live on today.  Most of the families grew up here or moved in later and started their families here.  On our short cul de sac street we set up a table at the head of the street and all the neighbors set up decorations and the individual candies bowls on it so that the t&t kids would have more fun or work to pick from each.  This saved a lot of neighbors who had to take out small kids to t&t and prevented smashed pumpkins.  I have special treats for "our" kids after they finish their rounds and they can enjoy them while they wait for their Mom or Dad to take them home.

Now since most of our kids are much older we just enjoy the evening together.  The adults would have a chance to comment on costumes and it's just a get together for all of us.  We order pizza to share, have warm drinks (if you know what I mean  :D ) and gossip.  This year it's on Saturday night.  WooHoo!  Happy Halloween!

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 12:27:03 PM »
I do not have kids but if I did I would not let them eat anything homemade from strangers.

Personally, I think homemade treats would likely be healthier and tastier but you just don't know about cleanliness, allergens, or something bad being in there.....
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 03:23:43 PM »
I have sold homemade stuff at fundraisers at garage sales and always include a sticker with my name, phone number, and content as to eggs, milk, wheat, nuts, chocolate etc. My daughter in law is terribly allergic to nuts and my grandson was allergic to milk and eggs for a long time so learned to read labels when they were coming for a meal. I now am careful to include that when preparing food for people I don't know.

In the end, I made 70 chocolate covered pretzel rods. I sent 32 to Stevie's football team party and the rest went to family and special neighbor kids and friends already. Oh we did eat a few too. LOL

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 04:57:02 PM »
I'm not a parent, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn....
  lol lol

We take my 3 year old trick or treating.  Personally, I wouldn't allow my son to eat something packaged by someone.  If it were a FRIEND, yes I would allow it.  I don't know anyone that would inject anything into candy, but I do know people with flu like symptoms. 
Alfonso

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 01:22:06 PM »
I remember the popcorn balls.  One of the local ladies that we all knew, of course.  Huge popcorn ball and so good!

I miss those days.

Bart

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"