Author Topic: Miniature Spatterdock  (Read 1892 times)

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Miniature Spatterdock
« on: October 26, 2009, 02:19:57 PM »
It sure isn't much more attractive in the miniature form.<g>  But this is one a friend brought back from a collection in Japan and he swears the flower turns from yellow to orange over the life of the bloom.

So far he is right about the size and the color of the first day.<g>
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Miniature Spatterdock
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 03:21:25 PM »
Oh my gosh, I do think it's pretty.  Be sure to post updates as it opens.

Isn't it funny that he could bring that living plant back from such a foreign place as Japan?  I was just talking with friends yesterday who were not permitted something like canned green beans across the boarder from Canada.  Weird laws!

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 05:57:15 PM »
Julles, that flower is open as much as spatterdock blooms open. Even the regular spatterdock only opens part way and not like a water lily. I have two of the regular spatterdocks.

That is very interesting, Craig. I never knew that there was a miniature spatterdock. Will it be going on the market here in the states soon?
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 06:18:42 PM »
I suspect it was brought in veeeeerrrrrryyyy carefully. LOL

Offline JoshS

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • In The Country Garden & Gifts
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 07:37:12 AM »
I always liked spatterdock, just for something different.  I wonder if anyone has done any hybridizing work with them?

No doubt, the collector had to have documentation and have the plants inspected before bringing it into the country.
Josh
Iowa - z4

In The Country Garden & Gifts
http://www.inthecountrygardenandgifts.com

Gardener's Touch Hand Cream
http://www.gardenerstouch.net

Offline Craig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 03:55:59 PM »
I have no experience with canned veggies, but importing plants can be fairly straightforward.  In essence all you need is a source that can provide a phytosanitary certificate and you need an import permit...and more often than not time and patience.<g> Pretty simple.

The bloom opened again today...and please note that it is well opened and opened completely flat by the end of the day<g>...and I'm not seeing orange, as badly as I want to.  I have no idea who all has the plant and if there are plans to market it, but I certainly don't plan to.  I have other plants I'd rather expend the time and effort on getting to market.

I doubt anyone has hybridized them to any extent Josh,  from what I've read no one can even agree on how many species of Nuphar there are.  Some say they are all variants of one species and I have read other sources that I believe split them into nine species.  Some one was planning to do their doctoral dissertation on the taxonomy of Nuphar ( or so I think I read) but I never heard if it was actually done or what the results were.
Craig     SW FL 9B

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 07:51:11 AM »
Hey Craig,
It might be orange if they got the right one.
Garet sent me pics of a Japanese one that looked orange.
He was collecting them for a while before he moved and had to relocate his collection.
As you know, he goes to Japan frequently so he had a lot of material from there.

Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline Craig

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 04:01:04 PM »
Hey Tim,

I have confidence in my source and mine did end up turning as orange as the one in your picture, but when all is said and done, it is still a spatterdock and nothing I am going to fall over myself about trying to propagate.<g>
Craig     SW FL 9B

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 07:00:56 PM »
Well just being different makes it cool. ;)

Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"