Author Topic: Amarillis  (Read 1164 times)

Offline frloplady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Amarillis
« on: November 14, 2006, 08:44:27 AM »
Ok I have an ammarillis that has been in the greenhouse for the last 2 years.  It hasn't died, though I'm not sure why it hasn't.  ::)  The temperatures get cold in there in winter, though not as cold as outside.  It comes back every spring and blooms it's little heart out.  It's been in the hydroponic line with the tomatos and obviously thinks that is the cats meow.  It needs to be divided now since it is outgrowing it's one gallon bag.  The main bulb looks to be HUGE and has some offspring crowding in there as well. 

I guess the question is..what is the PROPER way to keep amarills so they will come back every year.  Neglect seems to have worked for this one so far  {:-P;; but I want to know the right way...watch now I'll kill trying to do it right  (8:-)
Mary

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Amarillis
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 08:48:22 AM »
I keep mine in dirt, so it'll be slightly different.  After they bloom, I just leave them in the pots and growing for several months (they need to recover).  Then I take the pots in the garage and put them in a dark place and leave them mostly dry till the amaryllis go dormant.  I leave them dormant for 10 to 12 weeks (or until they start growing on their own if I forget).  If they need to be divided or repotted, I do this while they are dormant.  Then I bring them out to the sun again and water/fertilize (if they weren't repotted) and let them do their thing.  I have some that I've had for 10 years or more that way.  Most of the ones I lost were due to raccoon attacks or slugs damaging the bulb.

You can pull off the baby bulbs and pot them up seperately.  They may or may not bloom the first year or so.  If the mother bulb has gotten too big, you can cut it into pieces and plant each piece to start a new plant.  These won't bloom this year.

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 09:00:31 AM »
Teresa,
The bulbs I bought at the plant sale were monsters. At $15 bucks each though I can't buy a ton of them. I am glad they are beginning to bloom. However... how much can you cut a bulb and still get a plant in return? In half, in quarters or even further? I might just have to ginsu a bulb in the future if I know it will result in many new plants.
Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 09:02:41 AM »
You can cut them into as many as 8 pieces . . . you just have to make sure that each piece gets some roots and some of the middle of the bulb.  Then you pull a little outa the middle and dust them with a fungicide and plant them in a sterile medium like vermiculite.  I've never actually done it because I was always afraid I'd kill them all, but I've seen it done.  I don't know how long it takes the plant to recover and start blooming again. 

If your bulbs are big, they'll put off baby bulbs on the side soon.

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 09:06:00 AM »
Hmmmm. I wonder if the pizza slicer will cut through a bulb?  hmmmm.  ;)
Tim

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 09:09:19 AM »
Here - I found a tutorial on how to do it . . . . .

http://www.landspro.com/page6.htm

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 09:44:54 AM »
Mary I finally got tired of messing with mine and them never reblooming...So I sent them all to Charmie....sounds like they like your set up if you are getting them to bloom  O0
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 09:48:57 AM »
Cool...thanks for the link.
Tim

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"