Author Topic: Stinky Bulbs  (Read 1320 times)

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
Stinky Bulbs
« on: November 14, 2006, 08:54:31 AM »
My UPS guy delivered some new bulbs yesterday. I ordered them 6 months ago after my wife came back from Germany visiting our oldest son. The driver's comment was that he thought he was delivering a skunk. I just ordered them. It's not my fault he drove them around warm and humid Houston in a metal box with wheels...LOL

It is a lily but the bulbs smell like an allium (onion). They say that the musky-scented bulbs repel rodents.

They look like upside down tulips with a green hair-do.

This pic is from Dutch Gardens site. Since I just got the bulbs yesterday it will obviously be next spring before I have some good pics of my own.
Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Stinky Bulbs
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 09:04:12 AM »
I bought those one time and yes they do smell like skunk!  They are beautiful but only lasted one year for me.
Karen

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 09:50:48 AM »
those are pretty.....these poor UPS and Fedex drivers...can you imagine the things they deliver on a daily bases  {:-P;; ...When my koi were delivered 2 years ago by fedex...the guy said " I have to see whats in that box....I have been driving it around all day hearing it slosh around" and of course it had a koi on the box... his curiosity had all it could take....so before he left I opened the box so he could see my koi....2-asagi, 2-showa, a budo goromo, a goromo, and a doitsu hariwake....I swear he was  8-)~ when he left with visions of a pond of his own in his head  ;D ;D
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 09:57:35 AM »
I've had the same UPS guy for about 5 years. Every time he comes he looks around and goes..."That's new, that's new etc." He swears he is going to bring his family by for a picnic at the park..LOL.
Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 10:01:39 AM »
Those are cool looking flowers . . . wouldn't grow for me tho, so I'll wait for your pics!

Offline croft

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 04:39:45 PM »
I've heard that they keep deer away too. Is it true? I sure hope so.
I planted my first ones this fall but unfortunately we've had way too much rain lately and I'm afraid that they have been ruined. I guess I'll have to wait until spring to find out :(.
Joanne

Maritimes
1800 gal watergarden
goldfish
zone 5b

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 05:10:17 AM »
Those are pretty and unique.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"