Author Topic: Blue twins, tropical blooms  (Read 4442 times)

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
Blue twins, tropical blooms
« on: November 18, 2009, 12:35:53 PM »
It was all blues and greens in the pond today, it's a bit overcast and the colors are stronger without the hot, bright sun bleaching them.

Two Wood's Blue Goddess in bloom.

Paler and smaller, two Dauben blooms

Only one Foxfire but it is an enormous beauty

I've been moving pots around to catch the winter sun.  I'm really happy with my collection of herbs outside the kitchen door, only in winter does the sun hit this spot. 

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Blue twins, tropical blooms
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 01:02:02 PM »
Gorgeous blooms   O0
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 02:01:28 PM »
I love looking at those blooms--I really like the Wood's Blue Goddess that's not all the way open the best.  I love the herbs at your back door--I still have all mine except for the basil.  My sage, parsley, marjoram are doing really well in the cool days.  I'm going to miss being able to walk out the door and give one a snip and throw it in a pot.  I have potatoes, winter onions, garlic, marjoram and olive oil in a clay pot in the oven right now--it smells divine. 

Jonna, how do you keep that back door area looking so swept and clean?!!  Maybe it's because I live on a farm, but when my pots are outside there are leaves, sticks, dog and cat hair,  ::) all over the place.  I can't seem to get it to look like yours..... ;)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 03:28:15 PM »
It's not really outside, it is on a covered terrace next to the stairs.  The opening on the next terrace up lets the sun in when it is lower in the winter.  I'll take some pictures of the whole terrace tomorrow so you can see.  Anyway, the reason it stays cleaner is because of that and also my indulgence is having Gabi come and clean 3x a week, she sweeps and mops that area.   My excuse is that it is an old house with a lot to clean, but it is also one of the perks from living in Mexico where it is affordable.  I'm deprived according to many ex-pats who have full time maids (some who live in and also cook), a gardener (or two) and a pool guy.  I 'make do' with Gabi and a pool guy once a week.   I don't really have any garden, if I ever get these rocks taken out then it will be more work.  It's my hobby though, I mess around with the ponds and my potted plants and it keeps me busy and makes me happy.  It's a tough life but I volunteered  lol

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 04:10:38 PM »
It sounds so wonderful to be able to say that you have a maid come in  (I would just love that!!)  :D  So I'll just live my life through you--keep the images coming Jonna--winter is approaching fast and I'm gonna need some dream material...
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 03:57:47 PM »
Yes, I know... it is tough  {:-P;;  She's a nice woman, has 2 kids and her husband is a medium distance truck driver.  She told me the other day she went with him from here to Cancun and back, she said he loves the road and she got to see how peaceful it was driving through the countryside at night.  When she's here, she puts her ear buds in and listens to music while she works and I love it because she doesn't talk much.

Here are some pics from outside the kitchen door.  This is standing at the doorway and looking up, the sun comes through there in the winter because it is a little lower in the sky.

and this is from the beginning of the back yard looking towards one of the the kitchen doors.  I had the squeegie out because I had been watering the sand palm and needed to push the water into the drain.  The bougainvillea upstairs is really blooming now and there are a lot of the spent blooms that drift into the terrace, you can kind of see them scattered on the floor.  Clearly, this is not one of the days that Gabi was here.

The basket on a rope is my version of a dumb waiter.  The rope is hennequen, made from a form of agave and the plant that brought incredible wealth to this peninsula when all of the rigging for sailing ships was made from it.  Up at the top is this old pulley that I found in the mercado and had installed.  I can't lift really heavy stuff with it but I put things in the basket that need to go upstairs - like kitchen towels for the laundry or stuff that should be in the bedrooms - and pull it up when I am up there.  I love it.

The weather is just perfect now, I'm so glad that the heat seems to have gone.  It's in the low to mid 80's in the daytime and high 60's to low 70's at night.   o(:-)

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 05:52:05 PM »
Your pics are unbelievably gorgeous.  I mean the light and the color--so different from anything here.  The materials alone that makes up your home would cost a fortune here.  They are so natural there where they reflect the heat and the surfaces are probably cool on your feet.  I would never wear shoes there...heck, I hardly wear them here and it's cold a lot, but it's like putting mittens on your hands--my feet can't feel surfaces with socks and shoes.  I do wear socks, but only when I have to... :D

I love the pulley idea--what a great way to use it too without having to carry 'stuff' up stairs!
LuAnn

Offline tugo

• Members
  • With us since: 07/07/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Tugopond
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 02:35:52 AM »
Nice blooms and nice house Jonna.
A bit out of topic but your hanging basket picture took me back to my childhood, when it was very common that we send the basket down from the window or balcony with a list and some money in it and the shop keepers would put in the ordered goods with the rest money return. Was practical for the old people especially.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 02:08:09 PM »
Your pond constantly delivers amazing beauty.  The blooms are beautifully arranged among the other plants.  Your photos are so well done too.  I love all the textures of your home.  Cool pulley system.

Offline robie

• Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 05:55:29 PM »
hi jonna long time not see you ,
is beautiful

pronto la reunion , creo ya nos tardamos verdad ¡¡

saludos y un abrazo ¡¡
i love my turtle and pond ¡¡¡

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 10:32:22 PM »
Va bien un reunion  :thumbup:   Tengo nenufaritos de la rosa y dauben, los otros no crecen.  ¡ Andale!

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 07:52:54 AM »
I'm deprived according to many ex-pats who have full time maids (some who live in and also cook), a gardener (or two) and a pool guy.  I 'make do' with Gabi and a pool guy once a week.   

Maybe I'd brave the centipedes for that.... ;)

Seriously though, your pics are beautiful!
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline HOWELL

• Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 08:01:16 PM »
Hey Jonna how is it going?>
Temperatures up here have dropped a lot, well in saltillo at least up there in monclova it still gets hot during the day...
My dauben are still blooming... @O@
It is so glad to have time to post again...
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 03:14:52 PM »
Maaaaaare Howell!!  How are you?  School is keeping you busy eh?  My Dauben is still blooming and I have about 4 more that have leaves on the surface.  The Wood's and Foxfire are blooming too.  It's cooler here too, I have the down comforter on the bed now, it has gotten down into the 60's at night - brrrrrrr!  It's still in the 90's in the daytime though.  8)

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 09:58:56 PM »
Sounds like monclova, it gets so freaking hot during the day but down here in saltillo, there is low temperatures, rain, hail and fog almost everyday....hate it.. >:(-
My dauben are blooming too...they are really strong..

Offline robie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2009, 10:02:30 AM »
hi jonna  hi howell

this is my N. JONNAS PINK ¡¡¡

is small  but i think is wait for the spring ¡¡

jonna i have a n. tina  from bigdan , but is also small  as soos it get bigger is for you ,
and i have a n. mexicana  it is medium size .  do you want it ??

;D ;D

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2009, 05:40:59 PM »
No tengo espacio para N. Mexicana!  Tenia eso en California y cubierta el estanque.  Es 'hardy' y crece realamente grande.  Compré otro nenufár de lo mismo hombre y el dice que es un nenufar con floración de la noche.

Howell.... how do you say 'night blooming lily' in Spanish?

Robie, I don't have room for the Mexicana.  It is a hardy and it grows very large.  I have one in the pond in California, it tries to cover everything.   I bought another lily from the man I bought Foxfire and Wood's from and he says it is a white night bloomer. 

I have to look up N. Tina, don't know what it is.  Do you know how to send starts to Dan in Argentina?  I'd love to send him a small Foxfire. 

Offline robie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2009, 10:58:40 AM »
No tengo espacio para N. Mexicana!  Tenia eso en California y cubierta el estanque.  Es 'hardy' y crece realamente grande.  Compré otro nenufár de lo mismo hombre y el dice que es un nenufar con floración de la noche.

Howell.... how do you say 'night blooming lily' in Spanish?

Robie, I don't have room for the Mexicana.  It is a hardy and it grows very large.  I have one in the pond in California, it tries to cover everything.   I bought another lily from the man I bought Foxfire and Wood's from and he says it is a white night bloomer. 

I have to look up N. Tina, don't know what it is.  Do you know how to send starts to Dan in Argentina?  I'd love to send him a small Foxfire. 

entiendo perfecto night blooming lily ¡¡¡
bigdan , want  n. ampla  from a cenote ,  but he dont want all the plant just the  ""tuberculo"" 
like this

si tu foxfire  tubiera tuberculos , yo me encargo de hacercelos llegar ¡¡¡
because is very hard take out of mexico ,

saludos jonna  :)

Offline neo_trt

• Members
  • With us since: 21/07/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2009, 11:39:50 AM »
Hi Jonna!

Como has estado?   

y ese señor no tiene para vender un foxfire?  ;D

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2009, 01:53:28 PM »
Hahaha do not listen to all of this piranines,.........lol
Jonna night blooming can either be said like florea en la noche or well I'm sure they do understand it in english.

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2009, 03:22:46 PM »
Hi Neo,
y ese señor no tiene para vender un foxfire?
(this man doesn't sell foxfire?)

Si, pero quiere $500p cada una.   No se si mi foxfire tiene tuberculos o no, para verla necesito quitarlo del maceta - creo que esto no es una idea buena en el invierno.  (Yes but he wants $500 pesos for each one.  I don't know if my foxfire has tubers or not, in order to see I need to remove it from the pot - I believe that is not a good idea in winter.)

The tropical lilies do make tubers but I'm not sure if they do it in warm climates?  Anyone know?  My understanding was that they stress them in the north in order to get them to make tubers.  When I transplanted mine, they had only roots and small plantlets along the side.   I need to learn more about propagating tropicals. 

Offline neo_trt

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2009, 10:44:14 PM »
Definitivamente, eso no es buena idea en esta temporada...

$500 pero es una planta grande? si es grande la planta te la compro, o se la compro al señor, digo, si puedes!  ;D ;D

Pasando a otras noticias, mi loto no se logro  :'(  y los tuyos como estuvieron?

Saludos!  :hug:

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2009, 09:03:09 AM »
Jonna my understanding is that tropicals create tubers due to the warmth months when they found themselves all dry and barely water on top of them, maybe due to drought when rain is not present and so they help themselves by making this tubers.

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2009, 09:24:20 AM »
Neo, mi loto se pudrió...  :'(    Si, los nenufares son grandes, en buen sano, con hojas grandes.  Si quiere comprarlos puedo pedirlo,  esta en Mexico pero sus trabajadores estan en Merida.

So, Howell, how do I get these lilies to make tubers without stressing them so bad?  Just time perhaps?  I have small plantlets growing that came off the base of the main plant.  They are still quite small but they are alive.  Perhaps if Neo wrapped them in wet paper towels and sealed them with oxygen in a baggie, like they transport fish, they would make it to Argentina? 

Offline neo_trt

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2009, 06:53:04 PM »
Jonna, pero aun te queda una semilla ¿no? y si no para primavera te realo otras semillas, he leido que no necesita mas de 15 cm de agua si no se ahoga la planta.
En cuanto al fox yo creo que si me haces el favor lo compramos, pero despues de pasar las fiestas decembrinas, te parece?

Gracias! y saludos!

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2009, 07:02:46 PM »
Si, voy a pagar nada antes de Navidad  {nono}   El es un poco dificil para mi, no esta lengua, habla ingles perfectamente, esta otra, posible cultura. 

Offline HOWELL

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2009, 07:13:55 PM »
I did not understand what you wrote last jonna.
BTW I have no idea how to stress tropicals this is the first year I get to have tropicals and have no idea if they are going to survivie...hope so though..

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2009, 06:49:27 AM »
Jonna- I once had a very interesting conversation with Rad Michelle when she use to post more often about tropicals and dividing them etc.  She had posted some amazing pics and there was also a link to one of Craigs posts on Koiphen on the topic.  Anyhow, I had a similar small baby planlet next to the base of one of my tropicals earlier this year.  When I went to repot my plant and investigate the source of this new plantlet i discovered that it was in fact actually growing out of a small "tuberet" if that is a word, that was buried in the mass of tangled roots off the main plant.  There may have been a small spot where the small tuberet could have been attached to the main tuber.  Felt kind of like "breaking ginger" when I seperated it from under the root mass. 
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2009, 09:05:50 AM »
greenthumbnails, I can't say I noticed one of those but they could have been there.  I repotted and pulled off the little plantlets about 6 weeks ago.  Most are still alive and growing although slowly.  I could try and mail those south but I think he wants larger tubers and I would worry that with green leaves, the plantlets would die en route.  Maybe we should try it and find out. 

Howell, I was talking about the guy I bought the lilies from, it's difficult to figure out where he is coming from.

Offline BigDan

• Members
  • With us since: 31/10/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2009, 10:50:42 AM »
Jonna

Do you read minds? I saw the pic of your 'Foxfire' and thought I want one!.

I've just received my ampla tubers (3 days ago, dry as rocks) and they are already sprouting.

Tubers are the way tropicals survive drought. Tropicals are not prepared to survive cold but lack of water. To force my tropicals to produce tubers (and survive winter, a problem you don't have, lucky you...) I take them out of the water, let the pot dry in the shadow and store it in a cool place, safe from rodents and other predators. Then, when spring comes back again, I look for the tubers that may have formed and put them in warm water in a sunny spot until they start sprouting.

Another way is to put a plant in a REALLY small pot and never feed it. A third method (works well with vivips) is to float them in warm water until they tuber...

If you ever get to produce 'Foxfire' tubers, save one for me!

As for 'Tina', it was the first lily I ever had and I LOVE it. Very difficult to force to produce tubers, but wildly viviparous. You should give it a try...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 10:57:58 AM by BigDan »
Daniel

“Escucho y olvido, veo y recuerdo, hago y aprendo”
- CONFUCIO -

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"