Author Topic: Spending gobs of money (pics)  (Read 2175 times)

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
Spending gobs of money (pics)
« on: November 15, 2006, 09:19:05 AM »
Our 36 year old house is getting a much needed facelift- new siding, gutters, downspouts, soffits, fascia. We are thinking about "Hardie Board" instead of vinyl to replace the original cedar. The "destruction" started yesterday.  :D What a mess!

We're discovering all kinds of things! There was one area that had no sheathing at all underneath the weathered cedar siding... holes... rot... $$$$$... &-).

We had some bees living in the wall of my daughter's bathroom a couple of years ago. This is what we discovered about those bees-

All in all, it was an 8' x 4" "cubby" that the bees had occupied completely.
Once they get around to the front of the house, I'm sure there will be plenty more suprises.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Spending gobs of money (pics)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 09:33:06 AM »
Oh my word. It's a good thing the bees didn't find access to your house.

What fun and what a mess to remodel. When it is done you will be so happy with the fresh new look. We have lived here 36 years and there is almost always something being started, worked on or being changed. It is a real pain while it is in process but you can look forward to the completed project. I'll have to take a picture of my mess and post it.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 09:36:09 AM »
Oh my....I remember tearing out half of the kitchen for repairs...the things you find  :o....good luck with your redo  O0
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline LilithFair

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 09:49:55 AM »
WOW I am glad thay never got into the house!
We have a cedar sided house, and when we had it painted this spring,  it was an interesting experience. All they found was wood rot and some old ST termite damage (nothing active thanks!) but they just tore off mainly some boards around the bottom near the ground. Now I'm scared!

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 10:47:51 AM »
Wow, good thing those bees didn't make it inside!!

Home repair is no fun.  My husband does it for a living, so our house is always last on his list.  And it takes him months if not years to complete a job at home!  Next on the list is one of our bathrooms.  Good luck with your remodeling, I hope it goes quickly and smoothly. 

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 12:31:33 PM »
LilithFair, Don't be scared. They've gotten most of the cedar off the front and found no more surprises.  O0 I even climbed out some windows and checked it myself. I was so sure that there would be lots of rot- but none! That 36 year-old cedar is warped, cracked, checked, split, and some was even peeling away. So I gotta say that it protected the house wonderfully.

Esther, please do post some pictures!

Now I'm excited. Without the rot that I was expecting, maybe we can get a new front door!  @O@
Karen

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 05:19:20 PM »
Been there, done that.  New vinyl siding, gutters, roof and windows at the same time.  It was a big old mess, but well worth it.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 05:39:41 PM »
I posted a new thread here on the chat side with my messy house pictures. I think it was titled, "Just to show you"

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 05:48:58 PM »
Karen, that bee's nest gives me the creeps!!! Hardiboard is pretty much exclusively used down here, I don't see much vinyl siding at all. What kind of door are you considering? Any thoughts on the color scheme? That beautiful pergola must be on the right side of the back yard.
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 09:23:43 PM »
Esther, thanks for posting your pics.  O0

Jessica, yes you are right. I'll take a pic from "way back" tomorrow. The wierd thing about the color scheme is that we have awful-colored brick in front, and a fairly new roof- so the colors are very limited. Neither my hubby nor myself were ever particularly good at picking out colors, so that is definitely the worst part.
Don't know about the door yet. I want to replace the solid wood door with a door that allows light in. It's on the North side and very dark.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  :)
Karen

Offline Viv

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 12:57:54 AM »
I don't think I ever saw a multi story bee hive before!

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 06:06:22 AM »
Karen, I know it may seem insane, but you could paint the brick the same color as the siding. There are some very tastefully painted brick and partial brick homes in my neighborhood. I thought it was the oddest thing when we moved here, but really like it now. Definitely show us some pics of the front and we can give some suggestions!
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

GAJen

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 08:45:07 AM »
Those hives are wild Karen, I've never seen anything like that.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 10:31:46 AM »
We were going to sand blast the brick on half of the front of our house at one time. It was orange and I hated it. But eventually we tore it all off and had the rockwork done all the way up. The north end of our house was all that awful brick and they applied strips of wood to the brick and then applied siding to it so covered the horrid stuff.

Offline CliffandJoann

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • CJ's Adventures in Ponding
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2006, 06:27:05 AM »
It will look wonderful when done Karen. Good luck with the entire job.
Joann

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"