Author Topic: Cath, are you in the middle of  (Read 1519 times)

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Cath, are you in the middle of
« on: December 08, 2009, 04:06:54 PM »
a blizzard?!!  I saw it on the news and it's headed our way.  40 to 50 mph winds by 7 a.m. in the morning here,,,I hope we luck out and don't get the snow.  I hate it when the power goes out here...we have heat because we burn wood in the winter, but not being able to flush a toilet or use water is just not my idea of FUN!!

LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Cath, are you in the middle of
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 06:02:53 PM »
LuAnn, fill the tub(s) up with water and keep a 5-gal. bucket in the bathroom. You can also fill pitchers or a water cooler up for drinking and cooking (if you have a camp stove).
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 07:44:26 PM »
I know, I do that fill the tub up thing if I have enough time to do it.  I don't want to fill the tub up with water tonight since I don't know when this thing will hit, or IF it will hit. I fill up pitchers and such to have water for brushing teeth, etc.   I know we will get high winds, but that's iffy when it comes to power outages.  We had a freak ice storm about 3 years ago where we were the ONLY house out in the area (up north of us many were out) because part of our tree fell on the lines and we were out for 9 (YES 9) days!!!!  We weren't top priority because we were the only ones out, they were trying to restore large grids of homes.  I tell ya, 9 days of playing cards by candlelight, and every other game you can think of--well, it was like Little House on the Prairie and Ma was starting to get a little edgy without her computer!! 

I have a gas stove so the electric igniters won't work, but a lighter will light my burners--took care of that one after that storm.  When the power came back on it surged and fried all the tv's and my electric stove--but I had unplugged my computer.   :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 08:02:33 PM »
Yes, we are getting it right now. We have probably 7" on the ground and more to come. It has picked up with the amount of snow and winds since about 6 tonight. Much of the city is pretty much closed down, we are actually under a blizzard warning. Our son got off 3 hours early and they have already told their employees to stay home tomorrow. Malls, banks, clinics, libraries, lots of places are closed tonight and tomorrow. Hopefully we won't end up with yet another 'ordeal' at our own house. I think we've had our share for quite a while. We have a HUGE white pine tree that's 60+ feet tall. It has taken hits during snow storms and rain storms several times. Every time we have a storm we hope and pray it survives both for the shade it provides and (mostly) because we have had quotes of $6,000-7,000 to remove it. So far we have avoided that by getting by with just trimming.
Stay safe everyone!
Cath
zone 5b

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 08:18:08 PM »
We didn't get very much... maybe 3" of snow, but they're saying that we'll get more. I don't trust those weathermen anymore, so I told the kids to expect school tomorrow. I'm secretly keeping my fingers crossed for a snow day for them. When the cold front pushes through it's going to turn that 3" into a giant sheet of ice!
Thanks for the reminder, Pondman. I will go fill a few buckets just in case.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 08:27:33 AM »
We got about the same thing but it was warm enough that the snow pretty much either melted or settled down. Evidently we are supposed to get more today because they called off school in the country. There was no reason to do that yet today.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 09:05:55 AM »
So far we've had only rain, since at 6:00 a.m. it was 55*!!  Now it's 41* and we have a high wind warning until midnight.  I think we may have dodged the snow this time... :)
LuAnn

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 04:50:48 PM »
I'm glad you guys have missed it to this point. DH got stuck in the driveway after work. The 2 of us got his truck dug out enough so he could drive it all the way to the end but there's no way we can shovel this whole thing for either of us to get out again. The drive at this rental is probably 60' long. We finally resorted to calling a guy to come do it with hsi blade. We have drifts 3 1/2 feet deep on the driveway and all the sidewalks. I didn't even budge from the house today. I stayed home and made beef stew. :)
Schools have already closed for tomorrow and many businesses also. Mail hasn't made it yet, DH stopped by the 'real' house on his way home to check.
Stay warm!!
zone 5b

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 05:16:22 PM »
I LOVE snow days!!  Stay safe Cath, and enjoy those few precious hours when you are cut off (kind of  ;)) from the outside world.   o(:-)
LuAnn

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"