Author Topic: Am I the only one  (Read 2343 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Am I the only one
« on: December 11, 2009, 09:14:11 AM »
working on Christmas gift projects?? What are you making?

Offline tlc

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/02/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Am I the only one
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 09:42:07 AM »
I'm working on making soaps, candles, cookies and candy.   o(

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 10:48:07 AM »
I'm making bratwurst for lunch!

I have to buy something for my "adoptive" family since their kids call me Uncle Mike, but I don't know what to get everyone. 

I know they don't want bratwurst.  :-\
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 12:17:48 PM »
I do like to hand make a "little something" for Christmas gifts, but since I have to mail things so early, I usually don't have time to get the gifts made before boxes need to be shipped. 

But something like, one year a friend and I made candy canes dipped in chocolate and then rolled in crushed nuts or candy.  Some year I want to make a pattern I clipped a few years back, to make an ornament or window hanger out in the shape of a snow flake, out of beads. 

My sister, this year, at my suggestion, is giving those mixes-in-a-jar that you layer the ingredients so it looks pretty, and include a recipe, then the recipient uses the mix, adds a few things (eggs, water, ground beef, etc.).  She's making cookie mix, but soup is popular, too, and I've seen cornbread and others.

Offline Esther

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 03:13:12 PM »
Mike, the bratwurst is from scratch?? Wow I'm impressed.
What ages are the people you have to buy for?

Julles, why couldn't you do some of your beadwork for gifts? Let's see, I guess that wouldn't work all that well for the guys though. I was impressed with the bracelets I saw.

TLC, pictures!!!! We want pictures!! I have two electric fondue pots that were used years ago to melt candle wax but have never used it for that.

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 04:33:02 PM »
from scratch?  No, it's from Hillshire Farms!   lol
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 09:36:12 AM »
OK, I'm not so impressed.  ;) Guess I am impressed though that you cook, keep house, take care of your pets, do carpentry and yardwork, and are an all around good guy. Now if we could just get that through your head and help you to find a good woman, you'd be almost perfect.

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 09:43:31 AM »
haha....I'm working on the good woman thing. ... story at eleven... lol

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 09:46:44 AM »
You, Esther, are the best with handmade gifts.  I really appreciate handmade, homemade gifts.  My whole family is very mature and the kids (even though they behave like kids) are adults.  We've made gifts for each other in all the many years that we still had great inspiration.  This year we are having Christmas at my house. I will be serving my infamous turkey rolls (+ or - at least that's what everyone says to my face  {:-P;;).  Everyone has a part in making the rest of dinner in my one body kitchen.  Always fun.  

So I can't say I make anything major for Christmas gifts anymore.  We have everything we really need but little special things like a beautiful handmade card from DD (who is becoming more artistic in her adult age than when she was a kiddie) or a promise to love me no matter what from DS is all I will ever need...after they buy me a home by the beach with a small suv parked out front. ;)  For neighbors I put together a pot of herb plants they can use for a few months until they kill them.  During the summer they usually receive bouquets of cut flowers from my garden and of course unlimited herbs I grow.  So I'm in good standing here.  8)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 06:21:29 PM »
I'm working on staying warm.  :) My mom has started her cookie baking and candy making. There goes my diet. :(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 07:17:43 PM »
Yah, I know not everybody is inclined to make stuff for gifts. I just happened to get the idea for the crowns and ran with it. Inspiration usually is half the battle.

I hate giving money for gifts but am being forced to do it finally. But part of me is relieved a bit. DH has been nagging me for years to "just give 'em money." Our grandkids have sooooo many toys, it's rediculous and the girls all get gobs of "hand me down" clothes, in fact they are better than what they'd get from me or their parents. And now I have grandchildren, 20 and 2 @ 15, all at ages that their toys and clothes are getting far too expensive for me to buy, so I guess it's money for them. Fortunately we still have some young ones. I try to find something we can make for the couples each year. Last year it was the wind chimes. They turned out nice. This year I want to make house number plaques out of mosaic tile with number tiles in the center. Guess I'll have to order the numbers online as I haven't seen them in the big box stores.

Offline tlc

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 09:18:33 PM »
TLC, pictures!!!! We want pictures!! I have two electric fondue pots that were used years ago to melt candle wax but have never used it for that.

I'll see what I can muster up for pics. We are busy doing u-cuts the rest of this week but I'm trying to squeeze in a project or two in between. Don't expect anything real fancy though as I'm kinda redneck in the way I do things ;) Esther, I'm no candle queen but if you want some tips I would be glad to share :)

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 08:31:36 AM »
We have some projects we're working on.  Hubby makes wooden things, I do fabric and tried basketweaving this year.  I'll post pics when we get them done. 

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 09:55:30 AM »
TLC----- @O@ It's obvious you haven't looked at my stuff on the DIY sub forum. Talk about redneck!!!! Can you call a Michigander a redneck?? Cause that is what I am. Also a tanned foot one because I hardly ever wear shoes in the summer. What am I saying?? I don't wear them much, ever.. Just when I go away. I've even been known to chase an escaping cat barefoot in the snow or step out on the porch in the snow to get the dog. My DH thinks my feet must not have nerves in them. I don't think I'll ever tackle candles but thanks for the offer. There are probably others here though who might like to get some tips on candle making.

Karen. I'd love to see what you guys are working on.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 05:53:01 AM »
The problem with giving money (or gift cards) for gifts is that people know how much you've spent. 

Example:  I do my shopping all year long, and am really good at coming up with nice gift ideas that cost virtually nothing.  If you keep your eyes open, you can find brand new things at thrift stores or garage sales, and pay just a few cents or dollars.  I keep a list of everything, and where I stashed it (attic or garage) and at Christmas time, it's just a matter of shopping my stored things.

Yesterday I went to a party and we were supposed to bring an unwrapped gift to give to Toys for Tots.  Well, let's just say I haven't worked (or received pay for the jobs I did do) in a couple of weeks (and am down to one job a week, instead of five days of good-paying work).  Anyway, I was going to go to the Dollar Store and try to be proud of some little cheapie thing from there that I would be able to afford and give. 

But yesterday, just an hour before the party, I stumbled upon a garage sale - how many garage sales are held on a Sunday?!   At this sale, it was put on by a kid selling his own things, to raise $ so he could buy presents for his family.  He had some brand new toys - like a Twister game still shrink-wrapped, and a Lincoln Log set in a nice metal carrying case.  I bartered a little, and got both toys for $5  (plus 50c more for a pencil box to store my beadwork in).  How nice for me, and how nice for a Marine's Toys for Tot's recipient!

Also, since my family is cutting back, and also most people I know don't need "things" nor do I know their taste of what they might like, sometimes we give donations to charities in their names.  That way, you can donate the amount you want / can afford, and the person knows that you donated but doesn't have to know the dollar amount.  They just appreciate that you donated to a cause they support. 

I still like to send a little "something," though, because it's fun for the other person to have something to unwrap and hold in his hands.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 03:37:44 PM »
Julles, I think part of the fun of shopping for gifts is looking for the real bargains and seeing how nice of a gift you can give for as little as possible.  I bought a pair of inexpensive pajamas for my 17 year old neice for Christmas.  Then I bought one of those cheap throws ($4.50) that went great with the pj's wrapped it up really fancy and have a great looking gift!!!

I know the day will probably come when we give $$ for Christmas, but I don't like that idea at all.  This may sound mean, but I don't like receiving $$ or gift certificates.  It's such a no brainer.  I would much rather receive a candle, plant, lotion, pj's, etc. 

Here are a couple pics of things we made. 
TLC, we are the rednecks.  Hubby and both of our boys hunt deer, rabbit, birds, etc.  He made wooden boxes and filled them with gun cleaning supplies.  They have always let Dad clean their guns...........I think he's trying to tell them its time for them to learn. 

Karen

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 08:16:36 PM »
Karen, those purses are really cute. Maybe next year I'll make something like that for all the girls. There was  directions for a tool carrier like yours in the last Handy magazine. I thought of having Pete make them for the grandsons. They are 20, 15, and 12. The 20 year old has started collection his tools already but the other two will need the tools attached to the holder with a chain. Otherwise they lose everything.

I just started on the last crown this morning and will be glad to get it done. I don't like making the same thing over and over. But I didn't have enough matching trims to make them all alike so it wasn't so bad.

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 08:59:01 AM »
Those are cute baskets, Karen!

I knitted a decorative pillow for my parents.  In the center was a knitted green Christmas tree (the knitting method is intarsia, which knitters may know), and I sewed crystal beads as the ornaments on the tree.  I also sewed a gold star at the top of the tree.  Then I sewed little snowflake buttons over the rest of the pillow.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 11:53:00 AM »
Barb, that sounds nice too. It's always fun to have something new for the holidays. I think as adults, we appreciate the handmade stuff more than the kids.

Offline tlc

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2009, 03:50:03 PM »
TLC----- @O@ It's obvious you haven't looked at my stuff on the DIY sub forum. Talk about redneck!!!! Can you call a Michigander a redneck?? Cause that is what I am. Also a tanned foot one because I hardly ever wear shoes in the summer. What am I saying?? I don't wear them much, ever.. Just when I go away. I've even been known to chase an escaping cat barefoot in the snow or step out on the porch in the snow to get the dog. My DH thinks my feet must not have nerves in them.

Just now getting around to posting some pics. And yes Esther I have seen your PVC stuff :) I think you can qualify for redneck status lol.

Karen, I don't hunt (not that there is anything wrong with it) but I do have my own collection of shooting tools ;) Never know when you might need to go hunting one of those long legged birds by the pond  {:-P;;

This is what I made for a couple gifts this year. The candles I've been doing for sometime now but the soap was new for me. It's so easy that women and children can do it  ;)

Offline tlc

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2009, 03:54:18 PM »
Here are a couple pics of things we made. 
TLC, we are the rednecks.  Hubby and both of our boys hunt deer, rabbit, birds, etc.  He made wooden boxes and filled them with gun cleaning supplies.  They have always let Dad clean their guns...........I think he's trying to tell them its time for them to learn. 

Karen

Those are very nice baskets. How creative! I could use one of those boxes for my gun cleaning supplies. Right now I have them in a shoebox  ::) I will have to get my F-I-L to make me something like this. It will keep him out of trouble.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"