Author Topic: What a mess!  (Read 2293 times)

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
What a mess!
« on: December 30, 2009, 02:17:29 PM »
Another pump went bad, another little Giant that I was using again because the other pump broke off the piece that forms the outflow.  It's been one after another.  Anyway, I look at the pond and there is smoke coming from it, the pump has opened and a liter or more of oil is in the pond.  I've spent all day trying to save the fish and the pond.  I used a couple rolls of paper towels while I was filling the pond to the rim and then I just let it overflow for 3 or 4 hours while I swept the oil to the edge and tried to keep the Mollies from swimming out.  So far, only one dead fish.  But... I think the real test will be tomorrow.  There is still a shimmer of oil on the surface and I'm just beat, I have to quit.  I arranged for a laborer for tomorrow to dig the rock out of the bog filter.  The way the pump works it pumps water to the bottom (about 4' deep) and it flows up through the rock and back into the pond.  I don't know how long it was like that so I think a bunch of oil got into the rocks.  I'm dumping them all and hoping for the best.  I had to cut off all the lilies below the water level because the leaves were covered in oil.  Dumped all the floaters too.  My poor pond looks so horrible and I'm really not sure how the fish are going to survive.  I tried vacuuming just the surface with the wet/dry vac but the fish keep trying to swim into it.  I have cotton batting but I can't get a pump in shallow enough water to pull the oil.   I'm too tired to cry. 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: What a mess!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 02:46:31 PM »
Oh, Jonna, I'm so sorry to hear of the mess you have to deal with.  It sounds like you have the situation under control, even if you feel like you don't.  Do you have a large enough container to set the fishies aside for a while, while you get the whole pond cleared up?

With your weather and your green thumb I'm sure your pond will be back up and running again, looking wonderful, soon.  Hang in there!

Offline finnpond

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 06:33:18 PM »
Hi Jonna...

Sorry to hear you have problems...  Did you buy this in Merida?  Have to admit I've not heard many good reviews on the LG pumps...

Are these burning up because of an electrical problem?  Is your power from the outlet matching what the pump requires?  Just curious as to whether there's a difference in what is delivered by the utilities in Mexico and what the pump is supposed to run on...

Take Care...  Dave

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 10:08:53 PM »
Voltage is usually high here, normal is considered anything between 110 and 130 and it is usually closer to 130.  There's that.  Plus the Little Giant pumps are no good but that was all I could find at first, I've now found a source for other Chinese pumps with brands i've never heard of but they look more like pond pumps.  Plus I'm stupid and I knew it was going out as it would turn on and off but I thought it would just keep doing that until I could get the replacement part for the other pump that broke.  Well, I had found the part that broke but I had not found an adaptor that would make that fit the tubing I have so I hadn't put it in yet.  Of course, when this happened and I desperately needed a pump I went and bought smaller tubing, shoulda, couldda, woulda... but I didn't do it earlier.   I still have no way to run the filter or the circulation with the new size tubing though.  I'm just using it to push water through some batting overnight. 

Let me tell you about hardware stores here, outside of Home Depot which doesn't have much in the way of PVC fittings, they are the kind where you sit at a counter and ask for what you want.  No searching through the bins looking for something that might work.  Add in the language issue, my Spanish is getting better in this area from necessity but I hardly know the names of these things in English much less Spanish.  Plus, you are dependent on how much time and energy the wait person wants to expend for you.  I took a number and waited an hour today and then spent about a half hour trying to get the parts that would make this all work and in the end they only had one piece I could use and my bill was less than 6 pesos - which is about 45 cents.  So, I can see why the guy at the counter got less enthusiastic as time wore on and the number of people waiting backed up. 

I will have the laborer dig out all the rock from my bog filter tomorrow and that will expose the tubing I have.  I had thought that one of them had cavitated (is that a word?) anyway so I may use the new, smaller tubing and run it inside the old corrugated stuff.  It's just going to be a big deal, and mainly I hope that the fish live and that the lilies live.  I can't tell you how hard (and expensive) it was for me to get those.  I will have to get in the pond and scrub down the sides to get as much oil off as I can, replace the rock with new rock, and hope for the best I guess. 

I ordered a Pondmaster pump and Mimi will bring it when she comes back from Calif in mid Jan.  I just have to get this all working until then.  Now, I'm thinking I should have gotten two of them but we aren't really sure how the airlines will take to a pump in her baggage, especially after this last incident.  If she got two on the plane, MX would probably charge a big duty on at least one of them.  I have friends coming down at various times this winter though and I may see about getting another pump if this one comes in smoothly. 

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 12:08:51 AM »
Jonna,

The oil in little Giant pumps is mineral oil and is non-toxic.  It does create danger to fish, however, because the slick prevents absorption of oxygen via the surface tension of the water.  Easiest and best way to remove the oil slick is with newspapers layed on the surface, changing every few minutes until oil is gone.

I used little giant pumps many years ago when they were about the only easily obtainable pumps but switched to Pondmaster for submerged pumps as soon as they came on the market.  Best overall, of course, are external pumps, such as Sequence.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 05:51:50 AM »
Next time, there always is a next time, isn't there? Next time, don't cut the plants. Once you have removed all the oil that you can by mopping or overflow, drop the water level a little, so the oily part of the leaves aren't in water - the plants will make it.

I agree that the real problem isn't the oil itself - Brett used to put used motor oil in his ponds to reduce mosquitoes - but aeration. Pump some air in the water with a cheap air pump - it doesn't take a whole lot of air to do a whole lot of good.

Offline Roark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Click2Roark
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 07:07:14 AM »
Ditto what John said... and Savannah too. 

One more item which works like a charm is the Weed Blower Trick.  This can be adapted to *very* large ponds where the Newspaper Trick can't be effectively employed.  Simply flood the pond until you've water running over an edge (or the overflow).  Now fire-up the weedblower and use the airstream to move the oil out of the corners, off the plants, etc, and into overflow area. The overflowing water will then move it over the edge and out of the pond. Now you can use John's newspaper trick very effectively to get the last stragglers.

A pressure-washer works wonders on streams and rocks.  Blast all this stuff back into the pond, let it sit a few minutes so it forms larger bubbles, and then use the Weed Blower Trick as above.

BTW:  I'm not a fan of barley straw at all, but this is one time when it can be very useful.  Like newspaper, it has an affinity for oils.  The difference is you can leave it in the pond a lot longer to act like a passive sponge and the fish will leave it alone while it's working.  Bust-open one of those mini-bales and toss it in the pond.  It'll float and form a mat. Leave it be and then remove it after a day or two and discard. Any residual oil will be sequestered rather effectively by the straw.  The little "leavings" (straw crumbles) will get taken-care-of by the filter in short order.

Roark
You're just jealous because the Voices only talk to me...

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 07:43:30 AM »
It's really good to know the oil is not toxic.  I don't have a weed blower but I overflowed the pond for hours and used the hose to push the oil to the low spot.  This morning there is still a sheen on the water but not much.  I may go and buy a newspaper to use or just use some more of the paper towels. I've lowered the water level so I can clear out the filter, when I raise it again I'll overflow the pond some more. I put another pump in there last night that just pushes the water up in a fountain type spray and it comes down on some poly batting, that is oily this morning but nothing visible.  I've got a college kid here now digging out the rocks, I don't want to try and clean them because either way I'll lose the bacteria so I'm dumping them and getting new.   

I'll put the air stone in there today, I have one in the other pond. 

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 09:59:53 AM »
....the pump has opened and a liter or more of oil is in the pond. 
What a pain....
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 10:44:48 AM »
 :'(  I can't say anymore than the others have said...but what we go through to maintain our little ponds, huh?!  :P
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline OldMarine

• Members
  • OldMarine
  • With us since: 25/11/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My pond pictures
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 11:06:34 AM »
Jona,

Sorry about your mess. Reminds me of some of mistakes that I made that led to more pond problems for myself to fix.

Happy ponding,
Rich o(
OldMarine
SSgt. Rich Kruger
Tacoma, WA., Zone 8
My pics at; http://picasaweb.google.com/oldmarine1969

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 02:36:08 PM »
Yeah, I'm trying to look at this as a chance for me to redesign how the pond works.  I'm partly successful in seeing it that was.  It's pretty clean now, I have air going in, I fed the fish tonight which they were very happy about.  I hadn't wanted them to eat any of the oil so I hadn't fed them. The worker got the filter pit completely clean, he did a good job.  All the rock is dumped and I am redesigning how it works in my head.  I need to order anything I can while Mimi is in Calif and can bring it down.  Already she's bringing a new pump and the matala pads that I had but didn't use at the pond in Cat City.  I may add some koi clay to the mix, wonder what that would look like on the airport scanner?

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 08:50:35 AM »
what a bummer....glad you were there to find it before you had any casulties....during our winters it may be several days or more before I'm able to go out and check the ponds....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 07:33:38 AM »
How is it all today, Jonna?

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 08:56:38 AM »
Jonna,
  I just saw this post. I'm so sorry about the mess and hope things start working out better.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Jonna

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 07:43:50 PM »
You know, I got the pond stabilized with no visible oil and the water level below the filter.  I put a small pump in with it spraying the surface for oxygen and I left and came over to the coast.  I had some stuff to do here and was hoping for some beach time.  Of course, it's been raining and too cold for me since I got here.  My friends are house sitting and I talk to them every day.  They are feeding the fish and they all seem to be fine.  I'll figure out how I want to change it when I get back.  I should try and make a drawing of how it works and see if I can get some ideas from you smart folks here.  I'm kind of stuck on how to make the configuration work better. 

Offline OldMarine

• Members
  • OldMarine
  • With us since: 25/11/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My pond pictures
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 10:11:44 PM »
Enjoy the weather Jonna.

Happy ponding,
Rich  8)
OldMarine
SSgt. Rich Kruger
Tacoma, WA., Zone 8
My pics at; http://picasaweb.google.com/oldmarine1969

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"