Author Topic: Spring is coming !  (Read 2982 times)

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Spring is coming !
« on: January 02, 2010, 04:24:40 PM »
  Just a reminder.

Offline OldMarine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • OldMarine
  • With us since: 25/11/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My pond pictures
Re: Spring is coming !
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 07:17:23 PM »
Okay turtlemike, quit teasing......................., it's still a bit to far away to say it's just around the corner.

I miss it too,
Rich :'(
OldMarine
SSgt. Rich Kruger
Tacoma, WA., Zone 8
My pics at; http://picasaweb.google.com/oldmarine1969

Offline Reedman

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 08:28:46 AM »
Thanks from here in southcentral PA with our single digit wind chills!  :o >:(- :swear:
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 08:57:11 PM »
heheh mike.. you got a mean streak.. I take back everything I said about well youknow!

tink

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 06:06:46 AM »
Well Mike, it looks like you made it to the same list as me in Tink's book. :)

:angel:
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 07:11:45 AM »
Later this week, here in South Texas, it's going to be 28* and then 24* overnight.
             Yuck!

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 10:20:24 AM »
Well Mike, it looks like you made it to the same list as me in Tink's book. :)

:angel:

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 04:10:56 PM »
  You know you like it. 

I don't have a mean streak and I'm not teasing.  The days are getting longer and the sun is rising in the sky every day.  Even though it's cold and snowing, and I know because I sleep out in it, I can feel spring coming.
  I have seen years here where you could have planted any tender vegetable like tomatoes in the third week of February and not have a frost all spring. I have seen tomatoes ripening on the vine on Christmas eve that same year.

The point is that spring is coming. It's up hill from here.

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 09:55:17 PM »
lol @ pondman.  Ya think your on a list huh  :)

Mike... your a true optimist as I look out the window at the snow and the frigid cold expected this weekend not sure we have climbed the worst of it this year.  I am headed to florida very soon I hope :)

tink

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 07:58:35 AM »
  Oh the worst is yet to come I'm sure because of seasonal lag, but I'm really enjoying this weather because it's been so long since we had a good winter around here. 
  I really love riding my horses in the deep snow and I love breathing cold air.
The alternative is wet,cold, humid, drizzle and mud all winter.  Give me hard frozen ground with clean dry snow on it any winter over mud and rain.

Also one year it snowed 24 inches on April 10 here.  It ain't over till it's over.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 09:41:58 AM »
The days start to lengthen after the 21st (my b day) the shortest day of the year!.
The sooner the better, sure it's Calif here but still many cold days and nights.  Yeah I know, not like yours.  Oh yeah we get wind too.  It blows my stuff to pieces.   I do not like it, I do not like it at all!
Great pix Mike! O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 07:10:09 PM »
I love cold weather too Mike--and I LOVE breathing cold, fresh air that smells like snow and ice. Cold cheeks (on the face Jerry  {:-P;;) and a hard trek over frozen ground back to the woods in the middle of a snow storm is one of my ideas of having fun.

wet,cold, humid, drizzle and mud all winter.  Give me hard frozen ground with clean dry snow on it any winter over mud and rain.
I'm hearing ya on that one...oh yeah, and add cow poop to that.  Fresh clean snow on the entry way is okay, the rest of that:  isn't!  lol
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 11:55:49 AM »
  Right on Kittyzee !
 Very few appreciate hard work out in the cold.  I have been carrying hay bails, literally, "over the mountains and through the woods" to my half Arab mare who is living at my other farm and barn over the hill from where my other barn is and horses are living.  She needs a super high quality bail of hay every couple days to keep her fat and warm and all of the really good bails are over the hill.

Anyway I do like a hard trudge through deep snow.  Especially at night when it's so cold that the snow squeaks when you walk on it.
  Two weeks ago at 6 o'clock pm it was dark. Now it is still light at 6.

A late happy birthday Jerry !  A great day to have a birthday !

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 01:53:18 PM »
Spring is coming--Mike I'm noticing every single extra minute of daylight too and I'm loving it!!   :worship:
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline OldMarine

• Members
  • OldMarine
    • View Profile
    • My pond pictures
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 02:06:16 PM »
I know what you mean, the weather here in the northwest is warmer than normal for this time of year. It actually feels like spring could be on it's way. Here in this part of the country that could change tomarrow.

My shubunkin's act like they are starving, but the water temps are down to low to feed them now.

Happy ponding,

Rich :suspect:
OldMarine
SSgt. Rich Kruger
Tacoma, WA., Zone 8

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 05:46:52 PM »
I just checked Tacoma on Weather Undergroung... it's 43* ... You call that springlike??

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 06:44:14 PM »
lol julles.. the cold we have been having the last few weeks I almost think it would be bikini weather :0)

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 07:57:13 PM »
43* would be T-shirt weather...and I'm being serious.
LuAnn

Offline OldMarine

• Members
  • OldMarine
    • View Profile
    • My pond pictures
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 09:44:12 PM »
It would be t-shirt weather at 43* for me if I was still running four miles a day, but I can't run that far anymore. So it's wind breaker weather for me. With the wind chill of 15 MPH coming down out of Canada at 43*, it is chilly enough for me. I just can't take a cold wind like I did when I was twenty years old.

Happy ponding,

Rich  :redface:
OldMarine
SSgt. Rich Kruger
Tacoma, WA., Zone 8

Offline PondJoy

• Members
  • With us since: 14/01/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 05:50:49 AM »
I needed this reminder...especially today!!  Thanks!

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2010, 07:45:12 AM »
  0 degrees F. this morning in my bedroom-stepvan.   

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2010, 10:16:56 PM »
I worry about you tmike.. do you have some sort of heat in there and why do you stay there vs your house??  I had a cousin froze to death in columbus under a underpass.  I am such a give me comfort person I cant imagine wanting to stay outside in this... gonna be worse tomorrow night to.  We would hate to lose you to a deep freeze :)

tink

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2010, 09:49:20 AM »
  That's really sad about your cousin Tink but I live out in the cold by choice and I have plenty of sleeping gear and winter clothes. 
  Like you said I have a nice heated modern house with a computer and a big wood furnace that I built cranking out the heat for my lilies but I prefer to be outside on the hill by the pond in the unheated Stepvan.

Believe me I know how to live in the cold. I lived in an unheated treehouse in Indiana during the winters of 76-77 and 77-78.
 It was 25-30 below zero a few times with wind chill of 60 below zero.   I have not been cold this winter and I was actually to hot last night and had to remove a sleeping bag so I could get to sleep.  Then when it got down to 5 degrees I put it back over me.  COZY !

The pond might be frozen enough to skate on now.

It's a winter wonderland out there right now and some friends and I are going to ride my horses today !  YIPPIE !

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2010, 06:01:44 PM »
lol julles.. the cold we have been having the last few weeks I almost think it would be bikini weather :0)

Hmmm, now I'm getting an image. ;D
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"