Author Topic: Has your Zone Changed???  (Read 1380 times)

Offline LilithFair

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Has your Zone Changed???
« on: November 18, 2006, 06:26:53 AM »
This is a link to the "new" USDA plant hardiness zone map that supposedly reflects climactic changes over the US based on data collected between 1990-2004.

In the little box, click "PLAY" and you will see the "new" map morph out of the old one.

According to the "new" map, almost the entire peninsular area of the State of FL is now in zone 9. Some areas of South FL previously in 9 are now in 10.

Changes have supposedly occured across the US, not just in the Deep South. Take a look.

I dunno, I still feel zone 8B here. We had an extremely mild winter last winter, but only time will tell I guess.

Scott, you are still considered 9A as you always were, but now I am supposedly with you. The dividing line between 8B and 9A supposedly always occured somewhere between the 30 miles that separate Gainesville from Ocala.

http://www.arborday.org/media/mapchanges.cfm

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: Has your Zone Changed???
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 12:38:17 PM »
looks like i am sliding into zone 9  drat the luck! :'(
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline frloplady

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 01:58:48 PM »
I will go by my old zone chart thank you, not that it makes a lot of difference for me.
Mary

Offline LilithFair

• Members
  • With us since: 10/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 02:08:40 PM »
Yeah, like I said, it still feels like zone 8B here to me regardless of what the map says

Offline lindaky

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 29/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 01:16:11 PM »
I think the change is true for my area, W KY. It was zone 6 but is now 7. I have several plants that aren't supposed to be hardy here that survive. I'm still afraid to totally trust the weather though. I still dig a few elephant ears and a few others so I'll have a start if we do have a cold winter. I have had ee growing for 5 years that have been left in the ground with some mulch covering them.

Cool link!

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 03:27:00 PM »
I don't need it to change for my area. I can still grow hardy water lilies in my pond here. I hear that people south of here can't grow hardies in their ponds. It's nice to live where you can grow hardies and tropicals in your pond and leave them there in the Winter and not lose them. :-)~ :)

Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 05:07:04 AM »
I stayed the same....6...kind of wish it would hit the 7.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 05:38:29 PM »
According to the map, we've definitely changed from a 6 to a 7 (I considered us right on the 6B/7A line before, so it's not a big deal.) Our last 2 winters have been so mild I almost considered them a 7B. Considering I've always wanted to move to a warmer climate, I'm glad that it's coming to me!!
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"