Author Topic: Got my first Orchid for Christmas  (Read 1096 times)

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Got my first Orchid for Christmas
« on: January 10, 2010, 07:41:40 AM »
I have always wanted one, but was reluctant to pay the high prices for one seeing as they had a reputation for being hard to grow...sort of like lotus (which I have killed a few, but managed to have a couple bloom with the help of advice here and more affordable "member prices"  ;) )

Have to admit though that I am a little "intimidated" by this new plant.  I have a tendancey to not do well with plants that don't require much water like hens and chicks and jade plants.  Still haven't been able to get either one to survive for me down here in Florida. 

Anyone have any advice about growing orchids?

I love plants as gifts...when they survive I remember them as "this person gave me this for my birthday/christmas"  Its a treat that lasts for many years  :)

My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: Got my first Orchid for Christmas
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 07:44:31 AM »
Love to see a photo.  We need more posts on this forum.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 10:37:27 AM »
You mentioned you're in Florida?  I think you should do pretty well there with your new orchid.  I'm no expert but if I can keep orchids outdoors year round here without them drying up I think I'm doing good.  I'm thinking your weather is more humid than not, a plus for orchids.  I don't really water my orchids but I do have a mister on them during the warm/hot weather once or twice daily regularly.  When it gets cooler I mist them maybe once a week.

Since your orchid has blooms just mist the whole plant maybe a few times a week.  Keep it away from direct sun and heat (furnace heat is a killer....ask my DH  >:(- ).  The blooms should last for a couple of months or more depending on the variety.  I bring in some blooming varieties and keep them in the kitchen where there is bound to be more moisture near the sink and pretty much live there most of the day.

Please show us a photo of your gift!

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 02:12:47 PM »
I used to pick up orchids from Trader Joe's from time to time.  Will Roger's said "I never met a man I didn't like".  Well I never met an orchid that liked me.....  ::)  I must be batting somewhere around 0 for 6....  The fetching one won't even let me come to bat when it comes to picking up another Trader Joe's orchid..... 

I do have an outside orchid that takes a lot of abuse and flowers for me every year.  I foget its name but it's one of those common easy to care for types....  I believe Joyce is the queen of orchids.  Good luck with your orchid.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 04:32:11 PM »
Some are easier than others but most of them will take some abuse. They prefer mistings over heavy waterings and the epiphytic orchids can just be submerged in a pot of water for a couple minutes then left to drip dry. mild fertilizers will keep them healthy. Repot and divide every few years.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 03:59:25 AM »
Thanks to all.  I do have pics, just need to figure out how to put them on my new computer.  My old one was crashing everyday so DH got me a new one for Christmas...except it does not use Microsoft XP.  It uses Microsoft 7 and I am having the hardest time trying to navigate the new system.  Example, I put in the SD card directly into the desktop SD slot and "nothing happens".  I use to be able to put the card into a card reader connected to the old computer via USB and a pop up would ask me what I would like to do next with the device.  I'll post pics once I can figure this out.. :-\

My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"