Author Topic: Calling it quits....  (Read 5051 times)

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Calling it quits....
« on: January 21, 2010, 11:32:49 AM »
removed
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 06:17:05 AM by Blind 'Too »
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Calling it quits....
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 12:14:34 PM »
I'm so sorry you have had so many pond problems  :(  I've been worrying about my pond too with all this rain we've been getting.  It's heartbreaking to see all the hard work you have done on the pond, literally, get washed up.

Later, maybe a better plan for another pond now that you know the lay of the land of your backyard.  Be safe from this storm!

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 05:15:51 PM »
Oh, man, that's sad news!  But I think you've been considering this for a while, so it sounds like it's time.  Sorry.

But, cha know... in Austin and other places with lots of rock under the soil, they have lots of above-ground ponds, built up with cinder blocks and the like.

Just a thought.  :)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 10:34:58 PM »
Come spring you will be fired up and try something new.  Above ground with railroad ties can be spectacular!  I know you will feel differently!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline joeskoi.com

• Members
  • With us since: 24/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • JoesPonds.com
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 02:27:01 AM »
Sorry to hear your having problems.  If you decide to return to the hobby at some later date, an above-ground pond would sold your problems during heavy rains... ;)

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 06:18:35 AM »
Sorry to see & hear about all of the fustration & trouble with your ponds.  Like the others have mentioned, I would suggest an above ground pond once you feel like going back into ponding.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 06:36:34 PM »
BlindToo, are you saying that you are a quitter? {nono} Suck in that gut and fight back. >:(-

My dad has a drainage problem on his property. They cut into a hill in order to level out for the double wide and porches. A year or so after they moved in, there came a long rainy period and the hill started sliding down. He has battled with it all the time that I was in Florida and is still having problems with it.

There is a way. You just haven't figured it out yet. Use the Force! :)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 06:49:56 PM »
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that Michael.   :-\   But I'm not going to try and talk you into throwing good money after bad on this one.  Sounds like you are tired and would like a break from all the stress of trying to outwit mother nature.  Maybe just some flowers and grass for a while and enjoy not having to worry with water, plants, fish, and the technical side of things for a while.  After all, you do have Rocky to care for too... :)  Maybe Rocky would like an aquarium.... {:-P;;    ;)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 10:50:05 PM »
Blind,

One of my ponds is in a low part of my next door lot that has an HDP liner that began to float up during a very wet period a few years back.  While not an advocate of "rocks on the bottom", I cured the liner from this nasty habit by purchasing a load of large flat stones, that varied in size from 1 to 2 inches thick and 1/2 to 2 feet in area.  I covered the pond bottom with these flat stones and have never had a floating liner since.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 10:49:03 AM »
You are fortunate in that you didn't make a huge pond that would require a lot of soil to fill in.  The adventure in life is trying new things.  If things don't work out and it comes to the point where a hobby/interest is no longer enjoyable then it's time to move on.  But that doesn't mean you need to leave us.......unless we too become too much of a pain in the butt....  ;D

I know Jerry used to love kayaking and kayak fishing but that too became too much of a burden and he moved on.  I believe he was the first in the kayak fishing sport to hold a popular fishing tournament.  Now I believe acting has replaced kayak fishing but some day he may tire of this too.  Life moves on and one has to move with it.

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 11:03:21 AM »
Well said, Mikey.

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 03:51:20 PM »
Thanks for all the info and ideas.  No, pondmaninal, don't get all psychological on me, there's a huge difference between knowing when to drop back ten and punt and going for it when it's 4th and long.  It's my first ever pond, first design, first build, first (somewhat) success.  It leaves me with ideas for going about it a different way should I ever do this again.  But knowing me, I will procrastinate getting rid of it because I still have far too much to do and filling up a hole in the ground isn't as easy as I'd like it to be.  The good thing is that I have a mound of dirt out front that would fit nicely so at least I know it's got a place to go.

Thanks for the thoughts, and no, Mikey, I don't think it means I have to leave the forum, thank you.  I have met a few of you here and we are and will always be friends.  I'm sure Jerry won't kick me to the curb for his next party.  Or Annette...or...??? lol 

Right now...I'm dealing with my mortgage modification through a law firm, and had to get gnarly on the phone and tell them I wanted the guy handling it to never touch my case again, and to get me someone new.  After 4 months the only thing he knew was what I was telling him, and that's not worth the money I paid them.  In the last 3 days I got more productivity and results from them than I have in the first 4 months, so it's finally being taken care of.  So I am a bit stressed already, and the pond overflowing and the yard flooding was not a happy pill.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll still hang around a bit and brag about Rocky or some other dumb thing in my life that appeals to few more than the man in the mirror...as always!  lol
  o(
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 06:09:31 PM »
Once you join, you can never leave...... :suspect:  Naturally you are always welcomed to my APpartays  ;)

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 06:30:21 PM »
It would be awful if you left the forum...ponds may be what brought all of us together, but much more than that KEEPS us together now.  We have forged friendships over the years and if one of us leaves, well, there is a HOLE where they oughta be..... :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 08:50:50 PM »
So sorry to hear your gonna give it up!  Cant say I blame ya.  Had some devasting tradegies on mine to that had I been physically able to fill it in and get rid of those massive rocks I poured out of cement I would have done it and went back to my one small preformed pond that had no leaks, no problems.... but darn am I gonna miss those big purple stemed taros of yours and seeing those pictures..... your pond is so beautiful.

Leaving the forum... well that just not a option now is it :)

tink

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 08:06:09 AM »
 I am sorry to hear about your pond. I have  some above ground ponds. They are not as pretty but they are easier for me to get in and out of. My ponds are for fish and plants. Looks are not my main attraction. But there will come a time when I cannot do this anymore either. Maybe a small preformed or even a tub would be your answer. You can still piddle with those. Sorry about losing your fish. That is not good at all. Like they said pond or not stay with us here.

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 09:17:57 AM »
   :'( :'( :'(  We all need to do what we have to do at the time.  Life is full of changes and they aren't all necessarily what we want.

That's one good thing about the stocktanks...drain em and haul them off...a lot easier that filling holes.

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 09:19:15 AM »
Yeah - good suggestion.  Get a smaller tub or water feature, even one of those disappearing fountains.  Plus a few fishies, of course.   ;)

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 11:46:07 AM »
Wow, how sad.  :'( I can certainly understand your frustration.

When something is no longer fun and enjoyable then it probably is time to let go and move on.
I've always wanted and inground pond but since I rent I can't do that. Stock tanks and smaller water gardens in whiskey barrels, etc. have been my option.
Now, I wouldn't have an inground pond. Its enough work to take care of stock tanks. In fact, as bad as I hate to, I'm going to be cutting back on the water gardens this year as well. I have the two 800 gallon tanks but I'm reluctantly going to cut back to one. I just didn't have the time this last year to take care of them and its too hard for me to get all the lilies repotted and ready for winter before its too cold. Its become a chore rather than fun. You might consider something smaller above ground too. Less headaches, easier to deal with. :)
Good luck with your mortgage modification. A gal I work with is getting one of those done and its been very stressful for her too. If they can't get things worked out for her so she can afford her house payment she's going to have to walk away from it and move back home to her parents for awhile.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline livetogarden

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2010, 11:53:34 AM »
My husband has said many times that our pond is a HUGE plumbing problem and he hates plumbing. But both of us enjoy the fish and plants so much we deal with the work. I said that so you will know I totally understand your frustration.
However....I ditto what many have said about you can NOT leave the forum. Your sense of humor entertains me so often I would be lost if I could never log on and get a chuckle form some of your posts.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2010, 08:40:09 PM »
aww...thanks everyone.  Much appreciated.  I think if I had someone here to enjoy it with (and clean those %$%# filters once in a while) it would be more enjoyable.

I was going to say something funny, but Cath put all this blasted pressure on me now that I can't think of anything funny.   lol

thanks for your understanding, and for those chains that bind me to this forum...I can't go too far!

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2010, 10:26:27 PM »
with my Skippy I clean pads once a year. maybe every 10 months.  Consider it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 03:07:41 PM by Jerry »
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 09:32:26 AM »
removed
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 06:17:30 AM by Blind 'Too »

Offline Bearb

• Members
  • With us since: 29/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2010, 11:07:54 AM »
I'm just thinking out loud here so bear with me. . . If you are having a problem with poorly draining soil displacing your liner, couldn't you raise the edges of the pond slightly above grade. I am thinking that a few inches more added to the ponds water column would add sufficient weight to displace the water under the liner (forcing any ground water around the liner and not allowing it to lift the liner). This would also keep the water, from the rest of your yard, from polluting the pond. You will still have drainage problems with the rest of the yard, but that will still exist with no pond. . .

I could be way off here, as I have not spent much time thinning about this. Hopefully someone will come along and correct or corroborate this notion.

Bryan
Bryan

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2010, 01:57:21 PM »
We did that. The first pond flooded when we had a big rain a few days of filling it in 2001. We made a frame and set it around the pond stood them up not laid down like a picture frame. Folded the liner over the frame nailed it down Put dirt up to the boards and made it slant. Then we put river rock all over the dirt. That was 2001. Then we framed the top of the board like a picture frame.. It has worked for us.

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2010, 02:45:17 PM »
    I believe you have it right Bearb.  The weight of the higher water column will mean greater pressure inside the liner than outside,  therefor the liner will stay in place.  And the other benefits you mentioned as well.

Offline Bearb

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2010, 03:31:30 PM »
Right, and I don't think it will take too much added height to do the trick; a single row of concrete retaining wall blocks like the ones in the picture will be more than enough. . . 
Bryan

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2010, 08:05:44 PM »
Well interesting thoughts , but the fact is that floating liners have nothing to do with depth of water in the pond, but have everthing to do with the ground water level, especially if the pond is flooded with surface water.  The key is the hydraulic pressure exerted by the ground water.  The ground water sees no difference in it's own weight and the weight of the water on the other side of the liner as long as it can displace the water above.  If water depth inside the liner had anything to do with the event, swimming pool liners would never float, but they do if the ground water rises to or near the surface.  Best way to avoid floating liners is to locate the pond at a higher level than the rest of the surrounding area.  If that is not possible, a french drain installed under the pool that drains to a lower elevation will work.  If it is not possible to drain to a lower area you could run the french drain to a standpipe and put a sump pump in the standpipe, but in wet weather the pump could run continuously.  For the pond that I had with a floating liner, adding a ton of flat rocks on the bottom did the trick.  Putting a pond in a low damp poorly drained area is literally "ponding in a swamp". 

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2010, 06:48:29 AM »
I didnt say anything about it since I have no idea why or if it is why my pond liner doesnt float but I will now that it is mentioned.  You have seen my steep banks that surrouond my pond, much like yours.  When I built the pond I could not dig any deeper the rock/clay was so hard so I ended up raising the berms up to get my 4ft.  My pond is really almost like building it above ground exccept I used mounded dirt instead of wood frames.  It looks really nice it gives you different  levels of planting, big ricks on the berm looks great, steps etc... but anyway...  My liner has never floated up and the water rushes down that steep back passes the pond up and hits my drains on the patio.  Not sure if the elevated pond is what makes that happen or not but something works.  My pond is much like yours and sits in the low spot where everything above me drains.

tink

Offline Bearb

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2010, 08:43:19 AM »
Johns, I may be way off here (I'm not being argumentative, just trying to clarify. . .).

Are you talking about in-ground pool liners or above ground pools? I have never seen a liner float in either but I am not around a lot of pools. I just can't see how an above ground pool can have the liner float, even if it is half buried and half above. . .

"The ground water sees no difference in it's own weight and the weight of the water on the other side of the liner as long as it can displace the water above." I agree, but if the water level inside the liner is above ground level, then the weight of the water inside is greater than that of the weight of the water outside. Higher water column inside creates more pressure and displaces the hydraulic pressure from the ground the ground. Is it not the same as placing rocks on the bottom but using water instead?

If you put a balloon half filled with water and half with air in a bucket, then slowly fill the bucket with water, it will touch the bottom of the bucket until the water level raises to the level of the air inside the balloon. At this time the balloon will begin to float. Now try it with a cup inside the bucket, the same will happen. If the rim of the bucket (ground) is below the water level inside the balloon or cup, it should never float; any extra water will run out of the bucket (or across the yard). Is there another variable I am missing?
Bryan

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"