Author Topic: Getting Moss to Grow on Rocks  (Read 1666 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Getting Moss to Grow on Rocks
« on: January 30, 2010, 06:08:05 AM »
On Rebecca's Garden on HGTV (October 2, 2009), she had a segment visiting someone's garden, and the owner had a 65' waterfall up the hill in his very big yard in Tennessee.  Even though the yard was only about 6 years old, his rocks were covered with gorgeous, thick moss.

He said this is how he does it: He has a "secret" rock out in the woods somewhere, that has a lot of moss on it.  He will get some of that moss, removed from the rock in a sheet, and put the moss onto one of his own rocks in his waterfall.  He says you must do this after a HEAVY rain.  He uses bird netting to invisibly hold the moss to the new rock, until it grows roots and grabs on for itself - and to keep squirrels, etc. from digging under it in search of worms.

He didn't say anything about buttermilk or yogurt or any other product to get the moss to start growing.  He simply said get the "seed" moss, attach it to the rock, and then keep it damp. 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Moss to Grow on Rocks
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 09:41:47 AM »
I've tried something like that with a thin layer of moss from my garden for my pond too.  The only problem is that the heat of our summer dried up the small sheet of moss even though the water was constantly flowing around it.  It may be that the moss was the wrong kind.

Offline 2vetts

• Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 10:07:35 AM »
think i've read that you take some moss and blend it with milk and paint mixture on rocks . imagine it needs to stay damp and somewhat shady . i have NOT tried this . do a search on computer for suggestions anything can be found that way [for example that's what brought me here] .

Offline jatfla

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 07:48:58 AM »
This picture shows a little bit of moss growing.  This was taken this summer.  Now all the bricks are completely covered.  We have high humidity here in N. Fla. and the water is above the level of the first layer of bricks.  It just grew by itself.  While everything else was frozen during our week of freezing temps...the moss has survived.  Good luck.

Offline OldMarine

• Members
  • OldMarine
  • With us since: 25/11/2009
    • View Profile
    • My pond pictures
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 09:29:10 AM »
Here in the Northwest (Tacoma-Seattle area) we have moss everywhere. It can be found easily along the side of roads in the shade, and under the evergreens. I have found places in the woods where it looks like carpet. It would be easy to collect and transplant.

I have a spot on the north side of my house next to the porch that is about 6' x 9'. I would like to put in a miniture Japanese rock garden with a horseshoe shaped path from the side walk next to the porch. I have thought about putting down a carpet of our local Northwest moss on that horseshoe path.

If anyone has any good design ideas for a small Japanese garden, please let me know.

Happy ponding,

Rich  :ok: :raining: :raining: :raining: :raining: :raining:
OldMarine
SSgt. Rich Kruger
Tacoma, WA., Zone 8
My pics at; http://picasaweb.google.com/oldmarine1969

Offline PondJoy

• Members
  • With us since: 14/01/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 07:11:35 PM »
I love moss....it grows by itself on my (here it comes...) Moss Rock!  Yep, it does what it's supposed to I guess.  It looks very bright green.  I never did anything to get it there and don't really know how to do it.  But I'd be willing to give it a shot and see if I can "grow" some myself....sounds like a neat idea.

Julles, you should try it let us know how it works for you.  :D

Offline Julles

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 07:37:35 AM »
I have "swiped" a little moss from streetside areas where it grows wild, but not had much luck getting it to transplant.  I think I have not kept it consistantly damp until it took root.

But, like Joy and Jat, I have some that just cropped up on one tiny part of the pond - on one section of brick but not on any adjoining brick - all by itself, and is getting pretty thick.

Rich, I have seen some gorgeous gardens in Japan.  But guess that doesn't help you much here.    :D   You can find books quite easily, used, new, or library.  I think the main thing is simplicity.  Low spreading plants, big boulders, gravel ground cover, Oriental statuary, and a few carefully trimmed trees, and then a backdrop - like a mountain.   ;D .

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 09:53:34 AM »
I've tried it too with moderate success.  It really grows well on rocks by my pond that get spray from the waterfall.  This keeps it consistently moist in the hot summers here, especially when we go thru dry spells.  Try as I might, I DO forget to wet it down with the hose --  it only takes an hour or two for it to dry out on a hot rock in the summer!   :o 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Bearb

• Members
  • With us since: 29/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 11:35:48 AM »
Pondjoy, I'm not sure about your moss rock, but I have seen what is sold as moss rock in some places, isn't moss at all but lichen, which is a symbiotic relationship of fungus and algae living together. I have lichen all over my oak trees but have not been able successfully transplant it. I think it is much more finicky than moss.
Bryan

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 04:26:33 PM »
Carlos, our Spanish Leprechan, is a professional pond builder, and uses tons of moss rock.  It's a sort of sandy-textured red / black stone, often with that lichen stuck on it.  If you find some of his threads, he often posts photos of his ponds - and they ALWAYS use moss rock.

Try this:

http://www.aquaticescapes.net/portfolio_Aquatic_Escapes.htm
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 04:29:39 PM by Julles »

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 05:33:12 PM »
I have also tried to get it to grow, but most of the rocks are to far away from the water and in the sunshine.  I do have some and will continue to try to get it to grow on others.....never thought of checking our woods, will have to try that.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline OldMarine

• Members
  • OldMarine
  • With us since: 25/11/2009
    • View Profile
    • My pond pictures
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 09:47:17 PM »
Here in the Northwest all you need is shade, nature will do the rest. Wet & cool works every time.

Happy ponding,

Rich  :raining: :raining: :raining: :raining: :raining:
OldMarine
SSgt. Rich Kruger
Tacoma, WA., Zone 8
My pics at; http://picasaweb.google.com/oldmarine1969

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"