Author Topic: The bumpy side of the pond...  (Read 1693 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
The bumpy side of the pond...
« on: February 01, 2010, 04:45:50 PM »
This is Christopher Wakin.  She is maybe 4 years old now.  When I first bought her and 3 others she had the prettiest markings.  After the first year she started to get bumps that would grow out from under her scales.  Today they are big and fleshy.  I've only read that they are like fleshy growths and that they do not bother the fish.  I guess they don't....CW aka Bumpy still behaves like all the other fish and seems to eat a lot more.  I think she is one of the larger fish in the lily pond.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: The bumpy side of the pond...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 04:48:18 PM »
Bumpy still gets the same attention from the "guys" as the other gals during the chase.  I'm pretty sure she has even had babies.

Does anyone have photos of their "special" fishies?

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 05:33:55 PM »
Great pics Annette--and I think CW is beautiful, bumps and all!!  I also like the white one with the orange wen, very pretty!!

My fish are buried under about 2-1/2 inches of ice--so I'll enjoy your pics until my pond thaws.  My pond had been thawed out, but last week we had temps of 0* for several days and it's frozen again.  This week we are experiencing a sort of thaw--you just never know around here--and I have a hole in the ice for my fish.  When I saw them last week, they all looked good:  they even moved around a bit in their cold home when the temps would raise just a few degrees.  It's amazing to me how resilient they really are.   8)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 05:44:50 PM »
I also like the white one with the orange wen, very pretty!!

Thanks, LuAnn.  His name is Raspberry (before we found out she is a he).  He is a feisty red cap oranda.  It is amazing how fish in the colder temps can survive.  I think I would go crazy if my ponds froze over  :o  Good to know your fishies are well.

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 06:40:58 PM »
Holy carp!  That thing has two zip codes!!!  wow, and I thought my wakin and his one tiny (by comparison) bump was too noticeable! lol
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 08:35:40 PM »
LOL...Christopher Wakin... double LOL! What a name!

But I wonder about those bumps. Are they cysts? Cancer? How very strange!
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 05:44:07 AM »
Wow, that is really something to see.  I'm glad you posted those pictures.  I had fish with little white pimplebumps last spring, but nothing like your fish.  He's healthy otherwise?  Maybe it's like lupus??

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 08:58:31 AM »
One of mine had a lump, nothing like those though.  I was told that it's like a tumor, but it's not life/health threatening.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 12:36:45 PM by Blind 'Too »
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline water_sprite

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 09:42:39 AM »
Love the name!  lol

Your fish are gorgeous!

I've been thinking about getting wakins for a while.  I love the way they look.  Maybe I'll actually do it one day. :D

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 10:38:19 AM »
LOL Michael!! Only it's not pronounced like tumor-- it's TUMA!!  I can't hear that word that I don't think of that movie... lol
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 12:37:08 PM »
how could I forget??  I fixed it, LuAnn!  lol

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 12:42:19 PM »
 lol  You guys are so funny!  Michael is right about these bumps being like a tumor and not life/health threatening as I've read.  CW behaves just like any other fish in the pond except she has extra padding to bump others out of the way during feeding time.

Holy carp!  That thing has two zip codes!!!  wow, and I thought my wakin and his one tiny (by comparison) bump was too noticeable!
lol lol lol lol lol lol

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 05:29:17 PM »
I've know/or heard of many wakin that end up getting lumps or bumps....glad they are not interfereing with the fishes livelyhood.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 12:04:45 PM »
Here's photo of Christopher Wakin in July 08 when she just started to show bumps.  It was just before putting all the fancies into the new pond.  I think I got her in 2007 from a local koi shop.

She's on the top of the photo with a sibling.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"