Author Topic: Do you want to see my new....  (Read 2816 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Do you want to see my new....
« on: February 04, 2010, 12:34:14 PM »
Bird Feeder!   @O@

I saw this feeder while shopping for plants in Green Thumb Nursery.  They had one outside above the flowers.  I notices all the little yellow finches going crazy over it, the same finches I see bopping around in the trees in my garden.  So I purchased it with the black thistles (nyger seeds) and hung it in the area I see these cuties most of the time.  I was mesmerized!

A few days went by and no birds!  :-\  Until today!  @O@  They started slowly and now....crazy time!  There are a few different little birds all over the socks.  At first they fought to take their place feeding but now they get along.  Love it! o(:-)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 12:38:43 PM by miguynmkoi »

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Do you want to see my new....
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 12:38:04 PM »
These photos are taken through a very smudged dining room window (sorry!).  The feeder is maybe about 18+inches long top to bottom and refillable from the top.  Got the feeder FREE  @O@ when I purchased 10 lbs of seeds! 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 12:40:20 PM by miguynmkoi »

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 01:06:49 PM »
Annette, what lovely pictures with the colorful finches!!  I have the same sock feeder except the dome is yellow.  If you have squirrels around your area, you will get a kick out of seeing them trying to swat at the dome to get to the seeds  ;D.

The only problem I have is I'm unable to find new seed socks to replace the ones that are shredded (exposed to extreme elements).

Kuan

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 01:15:42 PM »
That's awesome Annette!  I have those seed socks too, but just hang mine where ever I can.  Sometimes I've have 8-10 finches on a sock!   :o  Those giant sunflowers that I grew this summer have been the ticket for my big birds.  They LOVE those large striped seeds:  downy and hairy woodpeckers, nuthatches and a red-bellied woodpecker have cleaned them right off the sunflower head.  They pick them off and then take them up the tree and whack them with their beaks and eat the meat out of them. 

Thanks for the great pics!!   O0
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 02:05:06 PM »
I'm glad you enjoy my new birdies!  I have spent way too much time just watching them today.  I will have to go into super-mode to finish my work  :D
LuAnn I think I favor these small birds only because they leave less of a mess.  But I will copy your example and maybe put my sunflower seeds over an area where I don't have to worry about the shells.  O0

Kuan, you may be able to find the socks in nursery stores now or soon.  I saw some for sale here. This one is from KayTee http://www.kaytee.com/products/kaytee-finch-feeder.php  My new feeder came with 2 extra  O0  If you can't find them let me know if I can send some to you.

Offline Freddie Peepers

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 02:11:03 PM »
BEWARE
 those finches eat like pigs and then poop like geese. We feed them too and they are fun to watch,  but there is mess involved with any feeding operation.
You can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 02:43:38 PM »
Thanks FreddieP.  Forewarned!  I have my new feeder over gravel area.  You must know my aversion to poopies  :D  I figure I could rake the gravel around and hope the stuff goes into the dirt below.  I do see lots of fallen thistle and hull but there are also turtle doves feeding below plus some other small guys.

Still watching the colorful circus act!  :teehee:

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 05:20:21 PM »
UM, sorry to burst your bubble. Ya gotta hang it over where the seeds cannot germinate too or else you will have a field of thistle plants. They are not the thistles with prickers though. I love my feeders and put an extension on my feeders so they hang over the grass where the seeds that sprout just get mowed off.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 05:49:24 PM »
I've never had nyger seed sprout--ever.  I have had other seed sprout though, but since my feeders are over grassy spots, it just gets mowed off and I rake it around. 

I just found a bunch of seed socks at WalMart this evening--someone else I had recently talked to mentioned not being able to find them. 

Annette, I enjoy my big birds and I really have never had much of a mess.  Of course I have lots of open grassy areas and the poops don't really show up much.   :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 10:14:40 PM »
Bunch of good looking finches there Annette.  The area where I keep my finch feeders was overgrown and today I got it all cleaned out.  Now you've got me motivated to fill it up with seed.  I believe nyjer seed is sterile.  I use it also without any weeds popping up. 

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 05:29:59 AM »
I got to thinking about your comment Esther, so I looked it up and the nyjer seed is heat treated so that it won't sprout.  If an occasional seed should sprout (has a small yellow flower) you should pull it out or rake it up so it won't produce seed.  This is not a native seed so they don't want it crowding out native plants.  The regular thistles that grow in our pastures have sticky bracts and fluff on the ends of the seed.  I see our finches eating them (actually sitting on the fluffy part) in the late summer when they are ripe.  It's not safe to walk barefoot in the pasture--those thorns are just plain wicked!!!   :)
LuAnn

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 08:50:07 AM »
what pretty birds!

I've never seen those socks before - ingenious!  Say, isn't that the fabric they use for some athletic wear?  like the inner lining of gym shorts, maybe?  I bet you could find something in a used clothing store and make your own socks, really cheap. 

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 09:02:07 AM »
Thanks for the link Annette  O0.  I'll be checking the nursery or just order the seed socks online so they will be ready when Spring arrives.  I hung some suede cakes for the birds in the winter then switch over to seeds in Spring.

Kuan

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 09:23:33 AM »
Thanks Mikey, you're correct, bird feeding nyjer seeds are sterile for the safety of native plants (read it on the seed bag  O0 ).

Great idea Julles!  I thought about making my own socks to have more feeders around the yard nearby places I can see the birdies feed.  If I get my "Esther" hat on I may make my own simple feeder sock with a top. 

Kuan if you're handy with a needle you might try making your own too.  The bags just seem very costly for simple laundry bag like fabric.

I have learned the names of my new feathered friends.  The yellow ones are Lesser Goldfinches and the red faced/chest ones are House Finches.  @O@ Since the rains are here again today I had to move the feeder under the kitchen patio cover to keep the seeds and sock dry.  This is the view from my kitchen window.  Once again, smudgy glass, sorry!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 09:29:44 AM »
Forgot to mention:

See the photo above?  The little yellow guy on the right bottom sock is upside down and in the best spot for private dining.  ;D

Check this site out: http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc/whycount.html
The Great Backyard Bird Count is an annual four-day event that engages bird watchers of all ages in counting birds to create a real-time snapshot of where the birds are across the continent. Anyone can participate, from beginning bird watchers to experts. It takes as little as 15 minutes on one day, or you can count for as long as you like each day of the event. It’s free, fun, and easy—and it helps the birds. We'll be adding updated GBBC materials for the next count as they become available.

Since I'm so fascinated with the birds my new feeder is attracting I may as well try it out.  Plus the d@#%! green heron that still visits and taunts me.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 09:42:59 AM »
Wonderful pictures though, even if the glass is smudgy. Our poor birdies stay huddled in the bushes on the east side of the house where it is somewhat out of the wind. I notice Smokey barking his head off the other day at a bush just outside the fence and wondered what on earth. Then I realized that the ice had formed on the top of the bush and then the snow had formed a covering on the top like a cover and I bet the birds were huddled in the bush and Smokey couldn't resist yelling at them.

Offline Freddie Peepers

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 06:37:57 PM »
We go through about 150 pounds of thistle (niger) seed every year and never had a problem with sprouting seeds. BUT those cheap mixes are a different story as they sprout like weeds. IMHO the best thing to feed the birds is shelled sunflower seeds. There is no waste what-so -ever and it attracts the widest variety of birds, but it is also the most expensive to buy
You can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 09:30:37 AM »
Just wanted to thank you for putting up the reminder about the Backyard Bird Count.  I forgot about it last year and was so aggravated with myself.  I now have a post-it on my monitor.

Karen

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 02:53:53 PM »
FreddieP Thanks for that bit of info.  My stockings went empty in 2 days!   :o  Those pigs with wings!  You just reminded me to plant my sunflowers.  And in this case I have set out more seeds than usual.  Free seeds this summer, my piggies!

You are most welcomed Karen.  I will try my best to pitch in on the count.  Who knew finding the names of visiting birds would be so fun.  If only I could remember the names!  :P

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010, 08:58:45 PM »
I enjoy attracting the American Goldfinches.  The Nyjer seed is their favorite......but it is pretty pricey....   The darn common House Finches devour the stuff.  Then there are the Sparrows that don't necessarily even like the Nyjer seed but because they see the finches eating it they too will pull the stuff out and then drop it on the ground.....

I found a finch feeder designed just for American Goldfinches.  It's called the Upside Down Goldfinch feeder.  American Goldfinches have no problem with hanging upside down while eating.  Here's the one I bought:  http://www.bird-house-bath.com/d/Upside-Down-Goldfinch.html   The slots in the feeder where the Nyjer seeds are exposed are located below the perch.  The Goldfinches will just hang upside down and feed, however, I notice the House Finches also will use the feeder but they swing down grab a seed and then pop back up again.  At least the House Finches are getting a good ab workout......  The sparrows haven't been able to use this feeder at all but they still will harass the Goldfinches and House Finches that are feeding there....

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2010, 10:37:44 AM »
Thanks Mike!  I've seen a similar feeder and wondered about the perch and the the opening below.  Also I recognized an American Goldfinch this morning from your feeder website.  Mainly I have the Lesser goldfinch and house finch.  There are 2 types of sparrows hanging around the ground eating good fallen seeds.  I'm thinking a tray hanging just below the stocking would be useful to capture most of the fallen seeds.

At least the House Finches are getting a good ab workout......
  lol ;D

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"