Author Topic: I got some Shiners uhh uhh they turned out to be Rosey Reds  (Read 1144 times)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
I got some Shiners uhh uhh they turned out to be Rosey Reds
« on: February 10, 2010, 03:04:27 PM »
It was at a local pet store, they had no idea what they were, sure were shaped like Shiners, forked tal and all.  They are primarily for food for predator fish.

Anyone have experience with them?
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Marie Fisher

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I got some Shiners uhh uhh they turned out to be Rosey Reds
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 03:49:34 PM »
Jerry I have had same experience as you.  Several years ago. Now they are about 8 to 10
inches long, and gold in color. Not a bad looking fish.  Koi mess in my lilies pots, and as Kit
Knots says, lilies rule around here!!!  I have a neighbor's cat who "fishes" in my pond.  I
don't want anything to happen to these fish, irregardless of the fact that I paid 12 cents
each for them. They aren't bad looking flashing red in the water.  Just keep them, they'll
grow, be nice to look at, and are not expensive.

Marie

Offline Reedman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 05:36:36 PM »
I have three rosey reds in my pond - cute.  I had more by my 15" golden orfe eats them like popcorn unless I raise them to 2" in a stock tank before putting them in my pond.

I once put 6 dozen rosey reds in my pond and they were all gone the next day . . .  >:(-

He doesn't eat the plain-colored version (fathead minnows) - weird.
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 06:08:30 PM »
I've had them till the tilapia finished them off. I read up on them when I got them and found out that they will nest in small terracotta pots laid on their sides on the bottom of the pond. They are egg layers. That's all I know about them.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 06:20:49 PM »
Good info thanks all,  yep Marie I paid about that too.  They seem to be doing fine.
Yes Scott i saw the tipped pot on the internet, seems like they love that for egg laying
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 09:00:22 AM »

If they are Rosy Red Fathead minnows they are just like the black fatheads but they are red.  I have never seen one longer than 3-4 inches in mine and my neighbors ponds.  From what I read they only get 3 inches long.  Shiners will get 8-10 inches long. Marie I believe you have Golden shiners. They get 10 inches long and have golden sides and bellys, at least the females do.  They look like little sharks with their forked tails.  Fatheads love lily leaves and will hang around under them and lay there eggs on the bottom of the leaves and then stand guard over them attacking anything that gets close.  They are always tending to there eggs and you can see the lily leaves vibrating while they work.
 Fatheads would probably eat any insect that would harm the leaves from the bottom.
 Shiners and Fatheads get along well together and make a perfect combo of native fish for small ponds. They never stir up mud or hurt any plant. The shiners swim around in schools and the fatheads primarily hang out in the lilies.
  No mosquito stands a chance.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 10:26:26 AM »
Yes Mike they seem very happy in the pond.  I will make the treck to Bakersfield and get the Shiners. It is 90 miles one way!  I did have business there but no more so it's strictly for the Shiners.  There is an unusual eatery there called "Wool Growers."  Basque food, very good too.
Maybe the wife will go too.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"