Author Topic: How did we survive back then?  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
How did we survive back then?
« on: February 14, 2010, 08:53:57 AM »
TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE
1930's, 40's, 50's,
60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered With bright colored lead-base paints.....

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, locks on doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, We had baseball caps Not helmets on our heads..

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, no booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes.

Riding in the back of a pick- up truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter and bacon. We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar. And, we weren't overweight... WHY?
Because we were always outside playing... that's why!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on..

No one was able to reach us all day. And, we were OKAY.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride them down the hill, Only to find out we forgot the brakes.
After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Play stations, Nintendo's and X-boxes. There were no video games, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, No surround-sound or CD's, No cell phones, No personal computers, No Internet and no chat rooms...

WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We would get spankings with wooden spoons, switches, ping pong paddles, or just a bare hand and no one would call child services to report abuse.

We ate worms and mud pies Made from dirt, and The worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen,
we did not put out very many eyes..

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn To deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best Risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever.

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all...

If YOU are one of them, CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good.

While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave and lucky their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it ?

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
Re: How did we survive back then?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 09:03:39 AM »
That sums up one of the reasons I doubt I could ever live in the US again, I love the personal responsibility that is still part of the culture down here.  I worry that this generation of American kids will be unable to compete in the world because they are so coddled and over protected. 

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 10:17:54 AM »
Bucky Covington : Different World Lyrics
Songwriters: Martin, Tony; Nesler, Mark; Hanson, Jennifer;
. Send "Different World" Ringtone to your Cell .

He placed eighth on the 5th season of the Fox Network's talent competition series American Idol.

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/bucky-covington-a-different-world/0B143A417BF0D06C82A80B143A417BF0D06C82A8

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 12:09:38 PM »
I still remembered I went home from school and told my mother that the teacher had spanked me and the first thing out of her mouth was "What did you do wrong?"  lol {:-P;;.  If it were to happen today to some of the kids, I bet at least 1 parent would say "Lets contact the lawyer".   {nono}

Time sure is different and things aren't the same any more.

Kuan

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 12:17:03 PM »
Tweety--my mom always told me if I got a spanking at school, I'd get another one when I got home.  That was before she even knew if I deserved it.  That's back when the spanking came first and you asked questions later!   lol  Anyway, I never did anything to deserve getting a spanking at school, but do remember HEARING a couple of boys getting whacked in the hallway.  Ewww, I think they did that for a reason:  it kept the rest of us in line.  Sounds awful doesn't it, but it's just the way it was.   :P
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline 2vetts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 09:54:42 AM »
just stumbled across this . it's appropriate because i'd been thinking that i wouldn't trade my childhood with any of todays kids . i'm 70 and when i look back on my youth i wonder how i AND MY PARENTS survived . just realized my dad didn't , he died when i was 15 but he came close to seeing my entire youth . never had tv until i was 12 . never had a computer and that was a blessing [of course nobody had computers then] .. . .peace

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 10:44:10 AM »
I was spanked with a rubber hose in first grade, my first month at school---no kindergarten. I was coloring on a paper and the black crayon went on the desk. I probably wasn't being careful. I had 4 uncles who were in the same school. We lived upstairs from them. They got home before I did and my dad met me in the driveway with his belt in his hand. Funny thing I don't remember anything else. Don't know if he beat me unconscious or if I fainted----JOKING!!! But I bet he did give me a few swats with the belt.

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 11:33:44 AM »
We were always told if we got swats at school they would be doubled at home.  thank goodness I never got any...I was threatened once though.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 08:23:30 AM »
I heard a sad story yesterday. Seems some snot nose kid was using her Facebook page to bash one of her mean high school teachers. This was going on for some time, and when the school found out about it they suspended her. Now, if I were her parent I'd support the school's decision and also punish her. I'd probably end her Facebook usage. And maybe have hubby break out the belt!
What did her parents do? They sued! And guess what- they won! The judge ruled that she had the right to "free speech".

What is this country coming to? People are trying to figure out what to do with cyber bullies and this judge just made it a lot harder to do anything. So it's OK to bully your teachers but not your peers?
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 02:06:44 PM »
Well that is good to hear!! What am I saying??? So I guess there is no law against rudeness. See that gal had to have known she had parents like she has or else she wouldn't dare say things like that in public. We might have talked in person or on the phone with our friends about a teacher we didn't like but never in public. See that shows the imaturity of the kids. What about libel? Where does that come in? That would have been the day, when I was expelled!!

One time our school was hosting the annual Future Farmers of America conference. The school was swarming with BOYS from other schools. Our Home Ec room had a glass door and was near the front entrance of the school. There was a book and magazine rack near the door and we were all showing a lot of interest in the stuff there so we could watch out the door. I think we all were getting a little riled and mouthy and as usual I was talking/whispering when I shouldn't have been. The teacher saw me making eyes at a guy in the hall so she went over to the door and pulled down the shade. It didn't lock and quickly rolled, SLAP, right back to the top @O@. Of course we were all wired so at that point that we all giggled. She came over and told me to go sit in the hall and I just sat there. I can't believe I did this. But when she pulled on the back of the chair to slide it out, I reached under the edge of the work table (bolted to the floor), and held on so the chair wouldn't budge. She weighed about 90 pounds and in the 9th grade I was already bigger than she was (to my dismay). Anyway I finally got my wits together and went out in the hall, where I sat for the rest of the hour talking to the boys who were wandering around.....What a punishment!!!

But she also told me I had to stay after school. We lived waaay on the opposite side of the district and my parents NEVER took me to school or picked me up. That was what the bus was for. Besides by that time of the day, they were getting ready to do the afternoon chores and milk so who has time to pick up the little brat? So the older sister of a boy who was on the football team was also my uncle's girlfriend. So I called her at work and asked her if I could go home with her when she came to pick up her brother from football practice and then go home with her. It was Wednesday night and both our families always attended prayer meeting that night. So I called my mother and told her I was staying after school to go home with Maryann and would meet up with them at church. They never found out until the day I made a speech at their 50th anniversary party and told them a few naughty things I had done that they never knew. That was probably the worst thing I ever did in school.

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 03:27:22 PM »
removed
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 06:08:00 AM by Blind 'Too »
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 06:41:23 PM »
I'll send flowers to your funeral Mike.

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 09:46:52 AM »
Amen Esther.

My dads' policy was he wanted to know if anyone drew blood or punched us in the face - until then, "fight your own battles and don't tell tales".

I could be caned, and was, by parents, teachers, head master, head of house, prefects, and once even our cook. And I was good kid!

When we moved to the States, my mom commented that Americans always seemed to sick - and attributed it to the constant sanitizing of everything. "You kids used to constantly be outside, eating mud pies. You develop immunity that way".

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 12:59:12 PM »
What I wonder is so many things we all see "wrong" for lack of a better word that I can think of or like joanna said.. lack of responsibility... we all know it, at least most everybody I talk to but it never gets practised and how did it not get handed down from our parents to us to our kids. where did it get side tracked?????  I often wonder that.

Tink

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"