Author Topic: Beaded Koi Amulet Bag  (Read 4402 times)

Offline Pa Nancy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Beaded Koi Amulet Bag
« on: February 14, 2010, 05:03:05 PM »
I recently beaded this bag. Obviously it's not finished. I bought the pattern a few years ago back then not knowing how to make it, but hoping some day I would. A fellow ponder gave me the push I needed to finally get on it.

This is the first bag I have attempted, and don't know how to finish it off. The bead store in town has classes every so often for amulet bags, so I am watching out for the next class so I can finish this.

If you look real close you can see a line down the middle, that is where it will fold over then the side stitched closed and fringes sewn on to the bottom and a beaded handle on the top.

This took me MANY hours to do. It is 96 X 122. That's 122 rows of 96 beads for a total of 11, 712 and that doesn't include all the fringe on the bottom.  :o

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Beaded Koi Amulet Bag
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 05:36:15 PM »
OMG O0 that is absolutely STUNNING :o I hope you plan on keeping this one for yourself, how many hours have you put into it?
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 06:02:33 PM »
Wow, Nancy! Amazing!!!

How is little Noah doing these days?
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 07:19:26 PM »
Thank you both.

Marla I really don't have a clue how many hours. I started on a Sunday night. Worked day and night for at least 3 days, then I had to get back to the household duties. Then worked on it whenever I could after that. I would venture to say maybe 40 hrs. give or take a few not real sure.

Jessica little Noah isn't so little anymore. He's going to be 5 the end of March, and starting school in the fall.  :'( We're having a Noah and grandma day tomorrow. (Mon) I LOVE our days together. He loves to play on my slot machine. He calls it the " Matching Game ". LOL He is so smart. He can print his name neater than his mom can write. He's a very good kid, his parents have done well with him.  :)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 08:40:08 PM »
mYMYMY---that is marvelous. I don't think I'd want to carry it. It too nice. It needs to be framed.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 05:24:27 AM »
Very nice Nancy!!  I was at my beading store Saturday and love being able to ask the owner there questions such as yours as to finishing off a piece.  Sometimes it's just as simple as tying an overhand knot and a dot of craft or beading glue.  That is a beautiful bag, I'd have to keep it for myself!!   O0
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 09:00:09 AM »
Kittyzee the lady at the store said it would have to have a zipper stitch. She doesn't do delica beads, but is familiar. I've never done a zipper stitch. It's supposed to just line up, and stitch, but I just can't see that happening. (with me doing it anyways) lol.  I also forgot to mention in the first post the handle as well.   :o  you do delicas? Would be neat to find another beader.  o(:-)

I AM keeping it for myself. No one would ever want to pay what is into that bag. The cost of the beads alone is a bit costly. Not to mention all the hours put into it. 

The pattern did come along with a koi earring that I've made several pair of. The pattern is for the Kohaku like on the bag, I made a few changes and did it as a Shiro Utsuri as well.  o(

Esther no I don't plan on carrying it anywhere. I have a couple of the antique purses my grandmother and aunt made. I think it would be neat to make like some kind of a shadow box to put them in and display.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 09:30:26 AM »
I really like the idea of the shadow box Nancy!  No, I don't do the beading as you do, but make jewelry with some seed beads, metal findings,wire and wire wrap, fire polished czech beads, etc.  I've seen magazines with projects that look so complicated (like yours!) and I wonder if you couldn't search the internet with the questions you have.  I've done that with several projects of mine (especially difficult wire wrap techniques) and they are out there and have been really helpful to me. 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 11:07:30 AM »
I have seen coffee tables and end tables that have a recessed box under the glass top with displays in them. I thought that was kind of cool. Most any small table could have the top taken off and redo it so act as a display case.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 11:49:05 AM »
Beautiful work!  you know you won't see others carrying that gem.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Reedman

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 12:05:41 PM »
Very nice as usual Nancy!
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 04:25:40 PM »
Ahhh! Thanks guys.  :)

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 10:34:55 AM »
That's gorgeous! You've got a lot of talent (and patience)!
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 11:55:40 AM »
That's gorgeous! You've got a lot of talent (and patience)!

Not talent. It's really quite easy. That part anyways. I have to take in a class to get the rest of it done.

Patience. yeah a bit. LOL Getting ready to start another one.  :o

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 03:03:07 PM »
Holy cow Nancy, that's awesome!! O0

I always wanted to do that type of beading but never could get it to look good. It always looked like a 2 year old did it. ::)
I bought a book, beads, etc. and tried to teach myself and never could get things to look right so I just gave up.
I had a cousin that used to do lots of that type of beading. She did beautiful work. She made me a needle case
that is all beaded and I loved it.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 04:16:06 PM »
Ah thanks Shanna. I'm sure yours didn't look that bad. The first few rows does look kind of crappy, (and the hardest to do, makes you almost want to quit) but it works itself out. I thought the same thing when I did this one.(looking crappy) The first few rows actually went together very well. I was surprised.

It does have a matching needle case, but it doesn't have fish on it. It also had matching earrings. I did make them.  The pattern was for a Kohaku which I did, and then changed it a bit to make a Shiro Utsuri.  O0 I thought they came out kinda cute.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 10:11:41 AM »
WOW!  You made a very BEAUTIFUL beaded bag!  I love how the fish pattern looks so alive!  Wishing I could bead....think I will go blind first  :P  Please show the finished bag, please!

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 11:08:24 AM »
Oh my, over 11,000 beads!  You must have very good eyesight and lots of patience.

Can't wait to see the finished picture.  It's beautiful.

Karen

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 07:23:08 AM »
Nancy that is absolutely fabulous!  I've seen kits for those and thought they were gorgeous but no way would I ever have the patience to finish something like that!  You really are the expert in beading now, aren't you!!!  (and that was so gorgeous it made me come out of lurking, so you know I'm impressed).

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 01:42:30 PM »
Nancy that is absolutely fabulous!  I've seen kits for those and thought they were gorgeous but no way would I ever have the patience to finish something like that!  You really are the expert in beading now, aren't you!!!  (and that was so gorgeous it made me come out of lurking, so you know I'm impressed).

I"ll say Teresa. Where the hell have you been? Would be nice to see you once in a while.  :P

Thank you for the compliments. I just got off the phone with the store owner, and teacher. They were waiting for me. I said I had no idea what she was talking about, I was waiting to hear from her when she would be there. Seems she sent me an Email yesterday, but I never got it.  :'( (not in the spam either) I have supper to do can't get there early enough to actually learn anything tonight. Will now have to wait till next Thurs. to learn how to finish it.  >:(-  >:(-

I'm no way an expert. That was the easy part really it is. It is NOT hard to do, just patience. I have a feeling finishing it off is going to be the hard part.   :P

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 05:33:42 AM »
I"ll say Teresa. Where the hell have you been? Would be nice to see you once in a while.  :P

Actually, I try to come look around every so often I just never post anymore.  There's a new (well not new anymore) knitting site that's so much more than a forum where I tend to go first when I have a little time on my hands.  I'm teaching knitting now at an arts center here and the girls are growing up, so I don't have nearly as much time as I used to.  But I do like to keep up with people at least a little.  Have you stayed in touch with Lynn?

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2010, 10:04:46 AM »
Looks great, Nancy.

I don't know if you were asking for suggestions on the handle or not, but here are two:

I have seen a similar bag with a handle made of a single strand of beads - but much larger and heavier.  It was quite pretty, but not really practical.  You would have to use a really really strong/thick line, and then have to be fearful that large glass beads used on the handle would break.

The other suggestion is to use the same style of beading you have on the bag, and make a round "rope" handle, totally of seed beads, about 1/2"-1" diameter.

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2010, 04:44:23 PM »
Julles, thank you for the suggestions. You sound like I should be coming to YOU for lessons. lol I like the sounds of the rope handle.

I go on thurs. for my bead lesson, I will suggest the rope to the teacher.  O0 I know the bag is totally impractical, but I had to have it anyway. It's something for me to look at and enjoy.  o(:-)

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Beaded Koi Amulet Bag " updated "
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 12:42:34 PM »
Here's an update for you all.

Turns out it should of been done in two pieces. My teacher she is GREAT!!! She did some kind of stitch right up where the seam should be, then she CUT right into it. :shocked3: I was ready to faint. All I had to do was redo one row on each piece, and 2 beads that were damaged in the next row. You can't even tell.  O0

Then used an even smaller bead,  :D  to stitch up the sides, and another kind of stitch for the bottom. I am really learning a lot from her.

Added the fringe, and all that is needed now is the handle. This will be a real sticking point with me. I have NO idea what or how to do it. So many choices.  :P

I am so pleased with it.  @O@  It looks SO much NICER in person. I'm so glad Cindy (CG)  gave me the push to finally get it done. I've had this pattern for 4 or 5 years, just never thought I could do it. Well I couldn't really without my teacher.

The pattern also has a pair of earrings that I've also attached. It was pictured as a Kohaku, but I had to try an Utsuri as well.  {:-P;;

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2010, 01:51:29 PM »
It looks awesome and the earrings are cute too! :)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2010, 02:06:14 PM »
It is beyond words!!!  8-)~  I can't believe it was done by a person, it is so perfect. Now don't argue with me. LOL. I know you had trouble here and there but it all came out wonderfully.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2010, 05:17:34 PM »
Very, VERY, nice Nancy!!  I don't know how to do what you are doing, I'm having a hard enough time with my jewelry.  It certainly is more fun when you have somebody to make things with, exchange ideas and shortcuts and techniques, huh?   ;)
LuAnn

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2010, 05:54:14 PM »
I hope you realize, Nancy, that some day, when we are all long gone, that your beautiful work is going to be displayed in museum?!

Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2010, 06:19:26 PM »
Thank you for the compliments. I'm not done yet have the handle to do.  :(

LOL Karen I doubt anything of mine will be in a museum. When I'm gone my kids will look at it just like my other collectibles (some antique) and throw them in the trash or have a yard sale.  :'(

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2010, 07:05:58 PM »
wow that is stunning!  I would frame it!

tink

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"