Author Topic: Home made boi-filter  (Read 3120 times)

Offline OldMarine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • OldMarine
  • With us since: 25/11/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My pond pictures
Home made boi-filter
« on: February 17, 2010, 08:49:10 AM »
Thanks to the inspiration of many of the pond experts here at this forum, I built myself a 27 gallon boi-filter sometime around last June. It made all the difference in the world in the over function of my pond. I guess you could say it was the missing link in the water quality of my pond. This last fall I shut it down, cleaned it , and stored in the garage for the winter. There are some pictures of it mixed in with my pictures at the bottum of my signiture here at this posting.

Two days ago I took the 27 gallon boi-filter out of moth balls, and set it back up, rinsed out the filter media, and started the water pump. In just the two days, I can see a difference in how clear the water is. my overall intent was to get a jump on any algae bloom that could be starting any time as we approach spring. Short staring up my water fall everything is set and another season of enjoying my pond and fish.

Happy ponding,

Rich  8-)~
OldMarine
SSgt. Rich Kruger
Tacoma, WA., Zone 8
My pics at; http://picasaweb.google.com/oldmarine1969

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Home made boi-filter
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 09:28:44 AM »
Very nice, Rich!  Thanks for sharing the photos!  I like the skimmer/drain hat.  I may have to use your idea of that  O0

Offline OldMarine

• Members
  • OldMarine
    • View Profile
    • My pond pictures
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 09:39:11 AM »
I found that fake rock at Lowes in the irrigation section, and it was on sale for about a forth of the origianl price of $42. something. I ended up buying the last two, and were being discontinued. I put the knob on the top of the rock so that I could easily lift it off of the skimmer/pre-filter reservor. It kinda blends in with the rest of the serounding landscape of the pond.

Happy ponding,

Rich  8)
OldMarine
SSgt. Rich Kruger
Tacoma, WA., Zone 8

Offline PHYLAL

• Members
  • With us since: 04/09/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 12:06:37 PM »
Loved your pictures.  It is quite easy to see that a lot of TLC went into the pond.  I thought I would drop a note concerning your “local Indian” water lily.  Check this out. 

Spatterdock - A Plant With Many Uses
Spatterdock, a useful native plant, is a rooted, floating-leaved plant with bright yellow flowers commonly seen in Washington lakes and ponds.  Its scientific name is Nuphar polysepala, and it is also commonly called the yellow pond or cow lily. 
In early spring the spatterdock's leaves are below the surface, light green in color, and look like lettuce growing on the lake bottom.  But by late spring the broad, dark green, heart-shaped leaves float on the water's surface or often stand above the water as the summer progresses.
The floating leaves are connected by long stalks to large horizontal roots in the sediments.  The roots can be up to six inches in diameter and many feet long!  The roots look something like palm-tree trunks, with knobby scars where leaves have grown.
The bright yellow, ball-like flowers bloom from June to mid-August and also stand just above the water surface.  They are composed of several broad fleshy yellow sepals, with many inconspicuous petals inside.  In the center is a yellow flask-shaped seed pod.  The flower emits a strong brandy-like odor which attracts pollinating insects.  Spatterdock reproduces by seeds and spreads by growth of its large fleshy roots.  It will also grow from fragments of roots if the plant is broken up.
Humans have put spatterdock to many uses.  Historically many cultures ate the roots cooked fresh in stews or dried and ground into flour for baking.  The seeds were gathered by Native Americans and either ground into flour or popped like popcorn.  The leaves and roots also contain tannin which was put to use in dyeing and tanning.  Medicinally, the leaves were used to stop bleeding, and roots were used in a poultice for cuts, swelling, and other ailments.  The Quinault Tribe believed that some of the roots looked like men, and others like women, so they chose a root appropriate for the patient before using it as a pain remedy.  Most recently spatterdock has been used as an aquarium and water garden plant.
Spatterdock is also a valuable plant for fish and wildlife habitat.  Its large leaves provide shade, cover from predators, and a home for many tiny invertebrates which fish use for food.  The seeds are eaten by ducks and other birds, and muskrat, beaver, and nutria will eat the roots.  Deer have also been known to browse the flowers and leaves.  When spatterdock is accompanied  by other native aquatic plants, it is very beneficial to wildlife habitat and an important part of a lake ecosystem.

Offline 3qtkidz

• Members
  • With us since: 03/05/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 07:46:54 AM »
I can't see the pictures......I must be doing something wrong.   I want to see the new filter.    :'(

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 09:21:34 PM »
Click on the link under his name, before the next post. 
Alfonso

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 04:34:37 AM »
Hey, where's Old Marine been anyway?!   :-\
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline OldMarine

• Members
  • OldMarine
    • View Profile
    • My pond pictures
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 02:00:20 PM »
Oh, I'm still lerking in the wings. I haven't gone away. It seems as though much of the chatter here has been about other things rather than ponds.

OldMarine
SSgt. Rich Kruger
Tacoma, WA., Zone 8

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 02:48:45 PM »
Good to see you posting again!  And the chatter is just that:  we who live in the frozen tundra tend to talk you to death when we don't have ponds and gardens to fritter with when it's cold!!   {:-P;;
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 04:29:51 PM »
Welcome back Rich.  We do try to keep the "chit chat? in the "Chit Chat" Forum.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline moondivatx

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 09:11:21 PM »
Wonderful job on your pond...your plants and fish look super healthy.   o(

The yellow native lily looks like one that grew and bloomed in Mirror Lake, the lake we lived on in Brown Mills, NJ.

Deborah...Shawnee, OK

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 10:57:16 PM »
Just meandered through your pictures and enjoyed every one, especially Fat Boy and Buttons. I have a silver poodle about that same size, just a little fatter.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"