Author Topic: New Laws for Permissible Water Plants in Texas  (Read 1110 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
New Laws for Permissible Water Plants in Texas
« on: February 22, 2010, 08:38:51 AM »
Last year, the Texas Legislature enacted House Bill 3391, commonly referred to as the Sunset Bill, which requires Texas Parks and Wildlife Department to publish a list of exotic aquatic plants and algae that are approved for importation or possession in Texas without a permit. This differs from the current regulations, which specifically list aquatic plants that are prohibited or otherwise restricted.  Under House Bill 3391, TPWD is required to finalize the list of approved exotic aquatic plants and revisions to existing rules governing the importation, possession, and sale of exotic plants no later than December 31, 2010.

Department staff have compiled a prospective list of exotic aquatic plants that could be allowed for sale in Texas.  We have scheduled a series of open public meetings in March, and would welcome you or any members of your organization to attend these meetings and give us your input on this list.  Additional information on the public meetings including the draft plant list and the process of developing new regulations on exotic plants can be found at http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedia/releases/?req=20100218b.  TPWD plans to conduct a risk analysis of prospective plant species to determine which ones might be included in an acceptable list. 

We would appreciate your assistance in transmitting this information to your members.  Any comments on the list or questions on the development of the new regulations can be directed to Dr. Earl Chilton at 512-389-4652; earl.chilton@tpwd.state.tx.us or Ken Kurzawski 512-389-4591; ken.kurzawski@tpwd.state.tx.us.

Thank you,

Ken Kurzawski

Texas Parks and Wildlife Department

Inland Fisheries Division

Offline Julles

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: New Laws for Permissible Water Plants in Texas
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 08:45:00 AM »
The list is quite long.  It looks like perhaps they've named every single non-native water plant (including typical ponder plants like snowflake, anachris, lizard tail, sweetflag, and also ones that are currently illegal, like water hyacinth), and, if they make the list, they will all be legal to put in our ponds.

I'm somewhat interested in going to the public meeting.  But it will probably fall on a date that has a conflict - March is really BUSY! 

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 03:08:43 PM »
very interesting.
Hypothetically speaking, if I had a privacy fence, I would keep hyacinth in the pond. I know the koi would LOVE the bugs that grow in their roots. Of course, I would have to construct a protective floating cage, because the koi would also eat the roots.
But that's just if it were allowed.  8)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 01:00:30 PM »
I never had any idea about invasive and not native plants being a threat or problem to us. But some time back, I began to notice real early in the spring, this little plant growing in my rock garden. It had a tiny pretty shiny yellow blossom. Kinda reminded me of swamp buttercups only real tiny. Then the next year I noticed more of them. Then more and more and next in the lawn. So I started to pull the ones from the rock garden and noticed tiny beebee sized bulbs on the roots, maybe 6-8 on each plant. That is if I was lucky enough for the bulbs to stay attached to the plant. Most of the time they broke off and SURE ENOUGH, started 6-8 new plants. So after 5 years or so I realized that they were totally covering the ground maybe in April, yellow blossoms all over. Kinda pretty but were taking over the whole rock garden. I took a plant into the extension office and they told me they were on the invasive list in several states but not in Michigan. She said, "Don't give away anything from that area. Spray with a weed killer." I don't remember the name of the thing.

I have no idea where this thing came from. Think it might have come in on a purchased plant. So we dug up all the good plants, put them in pots for two years so we could watch them and then took about 4" of the soil out and dumped it back on our pile way back of the yard. Then we put in new soil that we purchased. Now I watch carefully and in the spring if I see some coming up, I take a pointy digger and dig out a clump of dirt making sure to get all the tiny bulbs and throw out the whole thing in the trash.

Also, I have planted stuff around the pond that I have received from other ponders and just last year, we dug them all out and tossed most of them because some were going all over the place and not staying by the pond. They developed long runners and took off across the lawn. Some were going down under the liner and I hope they aren't tough enough to work through the liner.

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 04:18:38 PM »
Esther, wow, that is an amazing story of what lengths it takes to get rid of an invasive plants.  Pants in pots for TWO YEARS! 

I do want to be able to keep my WH and WL (IF I had any, that is  {:-P;; ), but I can definately see why the state would ban these plants. 

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 05:07:14 PM »
I have a lot of mixed thoughts about this ("cognitive dissonance"  :)), because I think banning so many plants that have unknown potential just because they're considered invasive is a real downer for the ponder who loves plants, but on the other hand I know what it's like to have plants escape from the pond and literally take over. Chocolate mint and Chameleon plant (Houtouinia cordata) are my problem plants.

Trading has also gotten much harder because if you get caught sending a plant to a state where it's "on the list", you could get in trouble with the law. On the other hand, we have too many laws!
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 07:57:03 AM »
Plants with runners & drop seeds profusely I've found to be very invasive.  I accidentally let pennywort escape to the ground & now I cannot get rid of it.  This year I'm going to have to try 50% diluted RoundUp to see if it'll kill it.

Water hyacinth can survive freezing if it is in the middle of a tightly packed large bunch, so I can see where it shouldn't be allowed in milder climate states.  Wish there was a plant that did just as well producing roots & blooms that wasn't banned.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"