Author Topic: MOUSE HAS BEEN BUSY AROUND MY POND!  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Reedman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
MOUSE HAS BEEN BUSY AROUND MY POND!
« on: February 25, 2010, 03:50:54 PM »
We've add 2'-3' of snow on the ground for weeks.  A lot of it is melted now and I was able to get to my pond today to take a look.

I saw the entire network of trails a mouse made under the snow and part way in the mulch/dirt.  Some of the trails go under the stones around the pond's rim. 

Hope that varmint didn't damage the liner!
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: MOUSE HAS BEEN BUSY AROUND MY POND!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 04:12:45 PM »
That's interesting.  I wonder how he keeps his little body mass warm in the snow.  I wonder what he eats.

I have a mouse regularly visiting my outdoor parakeets.  He comes to eat seed from the floor of the cage.  Luckily, the bars are too close for him to get into the cage.  But he climbs along underneath the bottom and chews the newspaper on the bottom, to get the seeds that have fallen there. 

One day I actually saw him... I was looking over at the cage, saw this cute little face and paws at the opposite side, and was thinking "how sweet," and then I thought "HOLY CRAP THAT'S A MOUSE!!!  ENDANGERING MY BIRDS!!"  I am hoping to all get out that he cannot find a way to actually get into the cage!

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 09:47:02 PM »
reedman.. something VERY similiar happened to me in my 2nd year.  After so much work and redooing and finally got it done, I had a area of my liner on the berm, right up next to my waterfall that mice or something got into and chewed a hole in .  I had built all my big rocks ontop of the linerl so no way to repair it so I ended up having to make a new berm, making the pond smaller so I could pull that mawed liner up and out of the pond.

Tink

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 09:13:47 AM »
I wish I could say a mouse come around my yard but most likely it was a RAT!  It was big and ugly!  Most likely trying to find a home and maybe seeds my budgies throw out for it.  I do know that it gets it's fill from the neighbors garbage  >:(- that sits for a few weeks before they decide to put it out on the curb.  >:(-

I wouldn't be too happy if I found out these varmints are chewing holes in my pond liner  >:(-  Hopefully your mouse is just enjoying the pond, Reedman  {:-P;;

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 01:05:51 PM »
Hope there is no damage to your pond liner.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Reedman

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 08:29:06 PM »
There's no snow to cover his trails he made, so he is probably is living in the leaf litter under the butterfly bush.  That's the start point of his trails. 

It's always something with our ponds.  Two years ago I had a groundhog breaking in to eat the water lettuce around the pond's edge.

Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 04:53:37 PM »
If you have any lighting around the pond, check it. We had a mouse a couple years ago who ate through the insulation/rubber of the lighting cord. What a pain. I suspect the same mouse ate every single needle off my expensive dwarf shimpaku juniper and killed it.

On the plus side, we've got a couple of feral cats living under the deck now and we haven't seen any mice at all.  :)
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"