Author Topic: leftover oak  (Read 4606 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
leftover oak
« on: March 08, 2010, 08:52:12 AM »
Pete had some leftover oak from making Cindi's headboard so I showed him a plantstand in the living room I had purchased from an oak furniture store and suggested he make a couple from the leftovers, like it. The one on the left was the purchased one. The new one still needs finish. He's at Home Depot right now buying more oak.

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: leftover oak
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 09:38:38 AM »
Very nice.  You should rent him out!   lol

Offline Esther

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 10:34:05 AM »
That's a thought.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 08:38:58 AM »
Pete made the two outside ones. The center one was from an oak furniture place. The two sit in front of side by side windows with matching plants on them.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 10:34:36 AM »
Esther, did he use plugs over the screws and if so, did he buy rounded ones or cut them out himself?
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 11:13:16 AM »
There are several different type plugs. We bought some after he was done, shaped like the muffin topped ones that the furniture maker used on the center one. But we also have some that have straight sides but the top is slightly rounded. Then these are just flat top and bottom plugs and he cut off the excess. He's just getting started trying working on nice wood. He's made a lot of stuff over the years, in the past but simple 2 x 4 and plywood construction for basement, garage, storage buildings, decks, pole barns, framing walls etc, but it didn't have to be pretty. Now he's learning to handle oak. He hadn't used the router much ever before either but I convinced him to buy a table and that seems to go better.

Offline Pa Nancy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 11:13:37 AM »
That's awesome.  O0 Love the color. I like the lighter shades.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 12:33:18 PM »
It is Fruitwood Varathane gel stain but I don't remember what he put over that. I think a satin Polyurethane.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 04:16:38 PM »
Those look great Esther.

I have another idea for Pete.  ;)  For Christmas my hubby made stands (about the same size as your plant stands) with four shelves to hold Wii stuff, for our sons.  The top shelf holds a recharger base for the controllers, which we bought for them. 

Your wood and finish looks really nice.

You surely must do a lot of baking.  ;D

Karen

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 06:01:18 PM »
OHHHH, for a minute there I couldn't see where baking fit in the thread.  Actually that came in my mom's stuff when she died. I think it was a club kind of thing were each month they send several pages  of different type recipes and then you sort them and put them in their correct sections. The recipes are very down to earth and well done. Maybe I'll give it to my granddaughter.

I'll have to check with the kids and see if they have places for their WII stuff.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 06:38:21 PM »
Esther, if your hubby is just now getting into woodworking like that, may I suggest that you get him a set of plug cutting bits and a circle cutting bit. The last one is when he starts making toys with wheels. :)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 07:07:55 PM »
Is the circle cutter the same as a hole cutter? He has several sets of those as he used them in plumbing.

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 07:09:36 PM »
Esther, your DH may enjoy a subscription to Woodsmith. My DH's grandfather subscribed from issue 1 and DH has kept the subscription going. It's something they both enjoyed for years! Your DH does good work--he's a natural! :)
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 07:19:44 PM »
Is the circle cutter the same as a hole cutter? He has several sets of those as he used them in plumbing.

Actually Esther, it's not. The bit that I'm referring to has adjustable cutters on arms. The ones you are referring to is called hole saws. The one that I have, I bought at Harbor Freight.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 10:56:18 AM »
HMMM, maybe we'd better head to Harbor Freight. It's a beautiful day out and I wanted to take a ride.

Woodsmith huh? We've been getting Handyman and This old House. We just discovered a wood store last weekend but now I can't remember the name of it. Maybe Woodcraft. We'd better inherit some money pretty quick though if we start shopping there. Oh the beautiful woods that they had and every wood tool, both hand and power that a person could imagine. I wanted one of each. Pete was pretty much dazed. I told the guy at the desk that he better follow us around with a mop because I could plainly see we would be drooling.

Well Jessica, that was a big mistake!! I found their website and ordered a free copy. Then I saw books they had for sale... Pete's gonna hang me. Every time I get a new magazine or book on woodworking he is afraid it means I have another task for him. LOL

Then I went back and ordered 2 years of their magazine because I get a free book on routers + I ordered two books on woodworking tips, and one was about table saw stuff.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 11:44:04 AM by Esther »

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 01:17:28 PM »
We have both Rockler and Woodcraft here! I hope you like Woodsmith!
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 08:12:36 PM »
Talking about wood. I picked up six truck loads of cabinets, shelves, and work benches from an old van conversion place while living in Ocala. The place was like a mile or two from the house. I gave one set of shelves away, left one set in Florida when we moved and kept two sets for workshop use. I also saved one cabinet, a big work table, and a little table that I mounted my bench-top table saw on. The rest of the wood I recycled. Well, I found out that some of that wood is mahogany. I saved it and brought it with me. I will have to strip the paint off of some of it. They had used it like pine, building crude cabinets and benches. I will have to find some maple and make some chess boards out of some of it.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 06:11:31 AM »
PAINTED IT!!! I love wood grain. When we were in Woodcraft and Wood source (they closed recently) I loved looking at the specialty woods and running my fingers over the surface.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 08:40:32 AM »
Yep, it ought to be a crime, Esther. {nono}
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2010, 03:23:51 PM »
My son bought an old house in Grand Rapids near the inner city. When we first drove by it, I just groaned to think that my son had spent money for THAT!!! But it was what they could afford. There were dark green roof shingles on the outside of it. Then a few days later we were invited to see it inside. The living room, dining room, bathroom, downstairs bedroom, and the railing and steps going upstairs had all oak woodwork and a lot of it had been painted over. He spent hours stripping and sanding to get it back to it's original shape. He then veneered the cupboards with strips of oak and painted the doors a clean white. The bedroom didn't even have a closet so he built one. I don't know what they made on that house but I know when they left, it was a lot prettier than when they bought it. Oh they had new siding and roofing put on too. But shortly after they moved there was a fire and I don't know how much damage was done.

Offline Bearb

• Members
  • With us since: 29/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 03:31:32 PM »
Esther, just for fun I will mention this, in case Pete has some smaller leftovers and gets an itch to do a small project. From the pictures I am 99% sure that this is red oak. Oak wood, as many ponders will not be surprised to hear, is high in tannin. Actually many hardwoods are, but this really works well with oak. You can turn the wood completely black with a home brew of iron acetate. This is not really a stain as it alters the tannin in the wood and causes it to turn black. You can make black accent pieces for larger projects. It is a neat look. The "stain goes as deep as the solution can penetrate (this is why the white oaks with their closed cells don't work as well).

To make iron acetate:
1) Go to the dollar store and get a bottle of vinegar
2) While you are there pickup some steel wool (oil free)
3) Fluff up the steel wool and put it in the vinegar (do not totally seal the top)
4) wait a few days

Put in on the wood you want stained, let it soak for a while, let it dry. Once it dries it will look kinda silvery gray, under finish it will turn black.

Don't forget the cardinal rule to wood finishing. . . TEST ON SCRAP!!!
Bryan

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 05:43:02 PM »
We have steel wool and vinegar already. Think I'm gonna try it on a scrap piece and see if we like the effect.

Offline Bearb

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 06:28:28 PM »
I guess you can skip steps 1 and 2  ;).

Remember it will look kinda blah until you put finish on it. If you have ever seen an old barn or other outdoor structure with gray streaks near the nails, you know what it will look like w/o finish. . .

One thing I forgot to mention, is that (unless you are able to get it to soak really deep) the black will sand off if you have to do a lot of sanding before finish. Whenever I use this for something, I do as much sanding as possible first. As Pete, I'm sure knows, when you wet wood (particularly open grain woods like oak) it will raise the grain, requiring more sanding. . . If I am using this on something I want a really nice finish on, I will wet (and allow to dry) then sand, and repeat a few times before I do this treatment.
Bryan

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2010, 06:57:37 PM »
His least favorite part of this is finish. I'm teaching him what I know. My X of 20 years was an industrial arts teacher. So I learned a bit from him.

Offline Bearb

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2010, 09:45:19 PM »
Yep, finish is tough. As they say 90% of the work gets you 50% done. . . Surface prep, surface prep, surface prep, and avoid contamination. . .
Pete's a plumber right? Keep anything with silicone away from all his wood and woodworking area, WD40 too. Nothing worse than a seemingly clean surface that won't accept stain or finish. . .
Bryan

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2010, 06:32:11 AM »
Right. Plumbing doesn't require meticulous work. But he is pretty careful. Glue is one thing he has to learn about, which glue does what job.

Offline Bearb

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2010, 07:21:21 AM »
I asked about plumbing , wondering if he had lubricants and solvents in his workshop (that can contaminate surfaces without you knowing it) not as a comment about the meretricious nature of plumbing :).

Glue choice is important, you kinda have to learn about the properties of each and fit it to the application. Contrary to what the glues may claim, you always want a freshly prepared and perfectly fit joint. For PVA glues (wood glues) I prefer tight bond original (unless I need water resistance then tightbond III). For polyurethane (PU) glues, avoid the temptation of Gorilla glue. IMHO Gorilla glue is the most expensive of the PU glues but by far not the best (it foams way too much). It lives on it's brand recognition. I like Elmer's probond (or unibond the name changed and I can't remember what is the current one). I don't use a lot of epoxy, but I know there are good ones and bad ones. If you really want to feel like a woodworker, mix up your own hot hide glue. I'ts not as hard to use as it seems, but you HAVE to have well fit joints.

You should check out woodworking forums. Imagine the value of American Ponders applied to woodworking. It's a great way to learn really fast.
Bryan

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2010, 08:17:37 AM »
I just meant that if he were to get anything on the wood, he is meticulous enough to get it off quickly one way or another, knowing it would show and/or block stain.

We just got two books from Woodsmith that are all various tips and techniqhes working with various tools. There just happened to be a section on glue with a chart and columns of what they do, and the bad and good of each. We went to a Woodcraft store last week and he picked up the Titebond original. Having worked with yellow Elmers all along, noticed the Titebond seems to stick more quickly and hold better than Elmers.

What do you think of Gorilla Glue? I used it last summer when making a table out of pressure treated wood to use out by the pool. I just cut away the expanded stuff and thought it worked OK. Didn't really like it though.

I bought  a Kreg joiner off an infrocommercial in the middle of the night and it is really nice. I didn't realize they had all kinds of equipment. We saw it at the Woodcraft store. Ours is nice to use right after gluing a joint and then quickly put the angled screw in and "wala" it is a good strong tight bond.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 08:23:12 AM by Esther »

Offline Bearb

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2010, 09:18:58 AM »
That glue chart should serve you well. . .

Yep, tightbond is good stuff. It has just the right open time, has a good initial grab, and it is a good bond. It is not as slippy while clamping as some others. Also it dries much harder than many of the other PVAs and won't "cold creap" as much.

That's a nice table, and the PU glue was a good choice for outdoor use. As for the Gorilla glue, my main complaint is that it is more expensive than the other PUs with no advantage. That foaming you encountered, is worse with Gorilla than the Elmer's PU product. PU will stain your skin brown (and my skin seems to be more susceptible to this) so the foaming is annoying. . . if you clean your hands with alcohol while the glue is still wet, it won't stain, but who has time to do that?

I'm not familiar with the kreg joiner you talk about, is it a pocket screw system?

I'll give you an example of how strong a well fit joint can be. Below I am preparing a soundboard for a small string instrument. The top is two pieces about 1/10 of an inch thick glued edge to edge. The joints are prepared with a SHARP plane. The pieces are laid on top of each other and the plane is "shot" across the edge, so that when you open them up like a book, the edges will match perfectly (assuming you get the edge perfectly straight with the plane). I'm using tightbond original here and the only clamping force needed is masking tape stretched across both sides. The tape has enough elasticity that when both sides are pulling against each other, no other clamping is needed. I can even set it upright to cure without worrying about the joint. the dark areas along the joint in the second picture is where I wiped off the squese out with a damp rag. In the end the glue joint is invisible and stronger than the wood itself.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 09:23:19 AM by Bearb »
Bryan

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2010, 10:51:32 AM »
This is the website for the pockethole joiner. We got a clamp too. We found some items at Menards and the Woodcraft store has everything. http://www.kregtool.com/products/pht/index.php

Can we see some of your projects? You know we love pictures.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"