Author Topic: String algae a problem and ice just thawed.  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Renee48192

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 29/09/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
String algae a problem and ice just thawed.
« on: March 11, 2010, 09:28:10 AM »
I live in Michigan and closed my 3000 gallon pond in November and had most of the string algae cleaned out.  I figured by spring the rest of it which was only clinging to the rocks would die off during the freezing winter months as it had in the previous year. I kept a round pond ice heater in with a bubbler going all winter which kept a hole big enough. The ice which got about 5 inches thick just left the pond 4 days ago. 2 days ago I noticed tons of string algae growing like crazy everywhere.  The water temp is 34 and the Koi are still laying still as they should. I took the heater out last week and kept the bubbler going.  I am trying to get the algae out but not wanting to disturb the Koi so early.  My question is, I thought the freezing water kills string algae?  And why is it growing so fast when the outside temp is only in the upper 40's just the past few days and the water so cold?  I saw on another site that they found a new strain of algae that is very resistant to cold and I am wondering if I brought this type in on a water plant last summer. I am concerned for the fish...I dont want to start the filter and pump yet or start adding anything like algae fix, etc. so soon. The water is crystal clear.  No suspended algae just string.  I have 9 Koi, mostly 2 year olds.  Any ideas?  Thanks!  Renee         

Offline LynneNY

• Members
  • With us since: 30/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: String algae a problem and ice just thawed.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 10:06:34 AM »
WOW - you have described my pond exactly, except I have 6 inch feeder fish instead of koi.  Same exact size, round heater, warmer temps here, except our string algae is still brown that I can see.  We've been in the 50's here the past week or so, and the fish have been hovering at the surface for days now.

I will be following this thread carefully to see if there is any way we can finally get rid of our string algae that was growing on every single thing in the pond that didn't swim.  By the way, I have read that string algae does not die during cold winters.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 11:28:51 AM »
My pond fits your descriptions also!   8)  AND my string algae, what little there is-around the rocks where my waterfall runs in warmer months--is very green and doing fine!!   lol     I just reach in there and swirl it around my hand or use a stick with a swirling motion and bring it out.  My fish LOVE the stuff when they can reach it. 

I don't worry about trying to remove it, there isn't that much.  I brush it off the rocks of the waterfall and let the fish eat it when I'm cleaning up around the pond.  Or throw it around my plants for fertilizer in the flower beds.  Sorry, I know I'm not much help.  But I agree, I think it's too early up here to start adding things to kill algae in the pond yet. 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline PondJoy

• Members
  • With us since: 14/01/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 01:38:41 PM »
I decided a long time ago that string algae is prehistoric. ....it can't be killed. :redx:.... Well, except when your pump stops working and the string algae finally dies after exposure to air and sunlight.....but probably really never dies...just sleeps!!!  lol

Offline Renee48192

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 06:55:35 AM »
Well that goes to show you how much I know about string algae!  I have never had it this bad in the beginning of the season.  By reading online I see it has been worse this year for many others.  I pulled out 2 five gallons buckets of it within two days. My compost will love it but it does attract animals like the coyote I saw last night hanging out again. The tracks in the snow on the pond during the winter months led right to the open hole.  He was getting a drink or maybe trying to fish.

Thanks everyone for your comments!  Renee 

Offline LynneNY

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 07:05:32 AM »
I keep reading about people pulling out the string algae but I've never been able to do that - it's always so slippery and slimey that I can't get a grip on it no matter what I use.  Also - it tends to break apart very quickly before I can scoop it up.

What do you all use to pull it out?

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 07:24:28 AM »
I've never had a problem with it but some people use a toilet brush to remove it but use a new one though. :)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Renee48192

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 08:09:02 AM »
I used two different things...a rounded toilet brush that I attached to a pole. And twirl it. (use a cat or dog wired brush to get the algae off the brush) And a large fork ended branch, twirl in circles. I find the branch is easier.  Look for a branch with about a 4 to 6 inch gap at the fork. Good luck! 

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 09:20:20 AM »
I've got a LOT of it right now because I had to cut the lilies back under the water when the pump blew up.  I use a plastic rake to pull it out, but then I have a concrete pond not a liner pond.   

Offline LynneNY

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 03:00:01 PM »
I have used a new toilet brush, but as I said above, most of it breaks apart before I can swirl any onto the brush, and scatters into the pond to grow more and cover more! >:(

I guess I will see what this season brings - we haven't cleaned out all the leaves yet, as we've just started getting nice warmer weather.

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 03:14:23 PM »
Pondman,

love your comment about "use a new one".  It reminds me of a Mutt and Jeff Cartoon from the 1940's wherin Mutt is aghast that Jeff is flipping burgers with a flyswatter, to which Jeff replied, "don't worry, I used an old one."

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 05:48:34 PM »
Well Johns, it's like this. I felt like if I hadn't made it clear, some one would have used an old one and then wondered why their fish died. ::)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 05:51:25 PM »
 lol at Johns' cartoon of Mutt and Jeff.... :P

and Pondman, maybe that would be BENEFICIAL bacteria, ya know one man's trash is another man's treasure...or something like that.. :D
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"