Author Topic: Japanese Garden at Cal State Long Beach  (Read 1370 times)

Offline sooks

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Japanese Garden at Cal State Long Beach
« on: March 16, 2010, 08:02:45 PM »
So I decided to visit the Japanese Garden at Cal State Long Beach and took some pictures. Right now none of the water lilies in the pond were blooming and most of the large koi fishes have been auctioned off.  >:(-

here is the website for more info http://www.csulb.edu/~jgarden/

« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 08:05:25 PM by sooks »
"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. "  ...Helen Keller

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Japanese Garden at Cal State Long Beach
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 02:40:02 AM »
Thanks for the pics, Sooks.  I just saw a segment on "Cultivating Life" about Japanese Gardens, and they are so lovely!  Some really pretty and colorful fish, too. 

Why is this place getting rid of fish? 

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 04:17:13 AM »
That is a spectacular garden! 
emm

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 06:14:24 AM »
If they are selling their big fish, its probably a water depth/ oxygen depletion problem. Sending them to better homes.

Japanese garden design is an enthusiasm of mine. Even if you can't have one - you can use the same principles in smaller spaces.

Offline Lynda

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 09:54:41 AM »
The Garden, in partnership with local koi clubs, hold an auction each and every year to reduce the bioload in the pond.  It is an event that is happily attended by koi hobbiests from all over the region.

Also, last year they had a confirmed outbreak of KHV, which is deadly, highly communicable between koi and incurable, in the pond.  All of the koi that were in the pond had to be destroyed and the pond was sterilized.  The source of the KHV is unknown, but may have been from donated koi that were quarantined but not KHV tested or koi that were "dumped" in the pond by irresponsible koi owners.  New fish were introduced after testing confirmed them to be KHV-free - some were just fingerlings and some were larger koi that were purchased from Japan.  The Garden has instituted a process of testing all donated koi while during the quarantine timeframe.  They are fortunate to have the Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific labs to conduct testing for them.

This is clearly an example or the importance of testing and quarantine for all koi owners!  One infected koi can wipe out your entire collection - and a carrier can be completely symptom-free.

Offline landey1230

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Zone 9b
  • With us since: 30/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 04:36:04 PM »
I love how the koi are as big as the duck.  Wonderful pics.
Alfonso

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 06:35:53 PM »
And probably weigh more.

I have two "biggest" koi.
Butter is about 30 inches and weighs about 40 pounds - last time we moved her.
Big Blue is about 35 inches and weighs about 35 pounds - last time we moved her.
 o(:-)

I built a wonderful water garden for the koi, but its been out of service for several years. The filters broke and I haven't had the time/money to replace them. So the koi are in mud ponds.
Even with the lack of the backdrop of a wonderful garden - the koi are spectacular to watch.
The only time you see them in a mud pond is when you are feeding. But they never tire of eating.  lol

Beauty is uplifting for the soul. I have beautiful feesh.  o(:-)

Offline sooks

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 12:32:53 AM »
Thanks for the info about the koi Lynda. I was wondering where they went!  >:(- poor things... There were soo many of them the last time I went.
"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. "  ...Helen Keller

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 01:54:45 PM »
Also, last year they had a confirmed outbreak of KHV, which is deadly, highly communicable between koi and incurable, in the pond.  All of the koi that were in the pond had to be destroyed and the pond was sterilized.

:o :o :o  Heartbreaking! 

Thanks for the beautiful pond photos Sooks!

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 03:36:20 PM »
Gorgeous & thanks for posting.  FT Worth's Japanese gardens has regular mutts as far as I can tell, the water is never that clear, & they don't display any water lilies.  Please go back sometime when the lilies are in full bloom & take more pics.  I'd love to have that much room to grow lilies.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"