Author Topic: You know your a ponder when...  (Read 5981 times)

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
Re: You know your a ponder when...
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2010, 09:46:58 AM »
Your hands have "that smell"  ?)(?

And your fingernails have "that look"... {:-P;;
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline OldMarine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • OldMarine
  • With us since: 25/11/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My pond pictures
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2010, 10:13:56 AM »
Like Marla, I would imagine many of us have been face to face with our fish more than once.
OldMarine
SSgt. Rich Kruger
Tacoma, WA., Zone 8
My pics at; http://picasaweb.google.com/oldmarine1969

Offline WV Kim

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2010, 07:20:54 AM »
Hmmmm, you run outside banging pots and pans together, screaming at the top of your lungs...all to chase off a heron (and none of your neighbors talk to you anymore because they think you should be commited!)

Kathy,

I was at work and my next door neighbor called to let me know that my dogs where barking like they wanted to get ahold of something and bite it,( I have very mild tempered beagles that spend their days in a 25' x 25' pin built in the woods beside my home) so she went to see, she reported the largest bird in the middle of my pond, she wanted to know what to do, she was going to keep going to shase it off, but it was "HUGE"  :o...great neighbors! o(:-) She didnt know about the containers in the middle holding the lillies and thought it was standing in the bottom!I said get a gun! She said she asked her husband if she could but they are protected here. So she stood guard for a few days until my scarecrow came!

You would fit right in here!!!
Zone 5b

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2010, 06:25:06 AM »
WV KIM- I really need to move to your neck of the woods (or at least my neighbors wish I would! haha!)

My neighbors actually watch out for them too. They don't really DO ANYTHING about them though! They just ell me, Hey I saw a giant bird on your roof again "the other day". (Gee thanks, all my fish could have been eaten!)
Kathy

Offline ponderer

• Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2010, 01:14:54 PM »
You go out in the rainy dark night to look at the little froggies/toads rhat are singing

Offline flyhawk

• Members
  • With us since: 08/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2010, 01:10:34 PM »
all the pics on your computer and your background are of those new pink tropical lilies!
Let Your Spirit Fly

Quote B.Franklin "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail"

Zone:4

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2010, 11:20:43 AM »
I have another one.....

ALL YOUR MONEY IS GONE!!  ;D
Kathy

Offline ponderer

• Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2010, 06:21:32 PM »
All of it is gone! NO no no! I can still find more!

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2010, 06:33:17 AM »
You've been gone from home for 7 weeks tending to your ailing mother and the first thing you do when you get home...check the  o(

Yep, DH bless his heart did keep them full of water and even called one day saying the pump wasn't working and the pond was frozen over.  I told him where the new GFSI was.  Sure enough that was the problem.   {:-P;; 

Offline misstammy

• Members
  • With us since: 17/06/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2010, 01:50:41 PM »
Have bad dreams about you fish being out of the water, behind a lazy boy,and in the living room :o

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2010, 07:25:18 AM »
You go to complete strangers (farmers) and ask them if they would let you have their old mineral tubs to use for lotuses or lilies.

Offline Esther

• Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2010, 08:05:23 AM »
You have DH cut and place a piece of rubber roofing to fit the trunk of your car so when you stop to dig up something from a ditch (or the neighbor's yard) with the shovel you carry in your trunk, it doesn't ruin your carpet.

The fattest file in two file drawers is labeled "pond".

When you're throwing away magazines, the pond ones always stay.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 08:14:32 AM by Esther »

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2010, 08:47:37 AM »
I dug out this that was dated October 19, 2003 and was a thread on AWGS titled Pondaholism by Sarassa. This was my long drawn out post.

Hi, I'm Esther and I'm a pondaholic. My family doesn't get fed on time, the fish do. The house doesn't get vacuumed, the pond did. I put Koi clay in the pond and my house looks like I put it there too. I don't rake the yard but I did the pond. The house plants die but the pond plants get excellent care. My closets are a mess but the pond supply cabinet is in great order. We run out of milk and bread but I have enough Koi food left over for a year. The house can be cluttered but there'd better not be a rock out of place in the pond/waterfall. I didn't notice that my DH had gotten a haircut but noticed that some scales were missing on top of Big Blue. I had promised to make my 2 year old granddaughter curtains for her room in their new house but the frame for the net to cover the pond got made first. The grandkids came the other day and I "let" them net leaves in the pond and feed the fish for something fun to do. To add to the fun they could put leaves in the Skippy and watch them bump down the waterfall and get to skim them out again. Then we planted tulips and other bubs around the landscaping by the waterfall. I drive 20 minutes of my 60 minute lunch hour to come home and make sure the pump and waterfall is OK and get a glimpse of the fish. I have had the deicer made for a month now and we won't have ice for a couple of months. I have temptations to steal rocks from neighboring landscaping. I carry a shovel in the back of the car in case I see a nice plant in the ditch in the country to add to the landscaping. I work on the pond and landscaping by the porch light. Now that it is cold and the fish haven't been coming up to eat for about a week, I needed a fish fix so just went to the store and bought 7 .15 feeder fish, a placostamus and a small apple snail and put them in the 10 gallon aquarium. I needed new dishtowels and found myself looking for ones with Koi on them, when I remembered that the theme in my kitchen is Dutch/tulips/Delft. I got some cool Koi embroidery designs to do with my embroidery machine and want to redecorate the bathroom "Pond".  (By the way, we did that two winters ago.) I am toying with taking up stained glass and the first thing I would like to do it, you guessed it, Koi/pond. A customer at work, (at the bank) wondered what the marks were on the underside of my arm...Wouldn't you know, black expandable foam that wouldn't come off. I have stopped wearing fingernail polish because my hands are in water, muck, and dirt so much it just peels off. I leave a pair of huaraches ( ) by the front door so I can slip them in in a hurry to go out to the pond. I get excited about going to Lowes/Home Depot to buy plumbing fittings and tubing to rig up the spitters and TT. I got mad at my DH because he didn't think to feed the fish a few weeks ago when I went straight from work to get groceries. In fact, I think we had more "words" during the making of the pond than we had during the 19 years we've been married. And when it's too dark and too cold to be out by the pond, I sit at the computer and read what total strangers are saying about their ponds. I get up early in the morning to find out if any of those total strangers have responded to a question I've asked the previous night. The curser on my computer is a fish,. The icon on my IM is a fish. The screen saver is a water/fish scene.

I have heard of Calvin Klein and someone suggested there may be a scent that he has developed. My answer is: I didn't know that Calvin Klein had anything to do with the scent that I wear. I think it is by somebody, maybe a cousin, named Koi Klein. It is rather unique too. I can only smell it after I've been in the pond. Must be some strange chemical phenomenon. Oddly enough though rather than attracting people to me, they seem to creep away waving their hands in front of their noses. I think it's a new way of saying "goodbye". I wonder if it will catch on.

Carol had said that I must be her mother because she had the same symptoms. My answer: I would love to have you for a daughter. You see I never had one. Wouldn't we have fun together? My daughter in law tries to act interested but her eyes keep glazing over whenever I talk pond/fish. Do you think that is because she loves the talk so much it brings tears to her eyes? But then again it could the the Koi Klein I'm wearing.

Eve said her husband asked her to do laundry because he was out of underwear and instead of doing it, she went to Target and bought him 10 pair so she could put off laundry for 10 more days. I said, "Laundry, he expects you to do laundry?? It's a little much don't you think? There is just so much I will do around here and that tops it. I hide my underwear so DH has to go out and buy his own. By the way I would never shop at Target. They don't have much in the way of pond supplies. I have got to talk to the managers of Lowes and Home Depot. I don't see why they couldn't carry a nice line of groceries and clothing. Then we'd never have to shop anywhere else."

Is there any hope for me? Am I incurable? Am I the only one with any of these symptoms? Is there a treatment? Will I have to go to meetings? I suppose it will be PA (Ponders Anonymous). Is there a group for my family so that they can learn to understand what I am going through and help me recover? You see, I haven't always been this way. I have always wanted a pond or stream and have been collecting articles and books about water features for maybe 20 years. We have had an inground pool for 32 years but it just isn't the same. OOOOOOOh I just had a thought-----------wouldn't that make a wonderful Koi pond? ???? Oh dear, wonder what DH would think of that.

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2010, 09:01:09 AM »
Esther, I had to smile when I read your last post. It is so true of many of us, maybe not the house cleaning, but the idea is the same. We enjoy puttering around in the pond water!  A great post, and a great thread!  ;D

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2010, 10:48:35 AM »
when you have 1,2,3,4, Nope it up to 5 now---ponds in the yard  {:-P;;
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2010, 11:06:43 AM »
3 ponds and 3 pots of lilies.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2010, 08:39:52 PM »
Your driving down the road & you try to image what a pond would look like in you're neighbors yard ...

bonnie

Offline mmerry

• Members
  • My little slice of heaven
  • With us since: 04/05/2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2010, 02:50:44 PM »
every day you find something to do with the pond - move this rock 3 inches to the right, pick out that leaf, test the water, rinse off the waterfall.... and you wouldn't have it any other way
Zone 5b - Ohio
800-1000 gallon pond (I need to figure this out)
Complete newbie :)

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2010, 03:13:54 PM »
Your driving down the road & you try to image what a pond would look like in you're neighbors yard ...

bonnie

You are driving down the road and you notice just that certain kind of landscape or decorations that make you want to pull in their driveway because you have a feeling THEY must have a pond out back.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2010, 08:47:01 PM »
You know you're a ponder when  you have small goldfish and you're too cheap to buy fishfood flakes or granules for them so bite up the pellets to feed them. Uhhuh, I do.

Offline Pondering

• Members
  • With us since: 14/03/2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2010, 07:36:24 PM »
Esther  :o  lol

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"