Author Topic: RIP to my ogons  (Read 1756 times)

Offline xxxgotchipsxxx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
RIP to my ogons
« on: March 21, 2010, 09:22:15 AM »
well i took my koi out the house and put them in my pond.... and 2 days ago i was outside at 930pm and i heard feathers ruffling.. so i looked in the tree and all of a sudden a heron dive bombed my dam pond and ran off with one of my plat. ogons  :(  and im also missin another plat. ogon  soooo im guessing the dam bird got em they were not big only like 4 inches   so now i only got 3 koi in the pond and 2 in the house in the 55 gall i got   im in the process of taking 1 more koi into the pond ...  he is be enough to go in the pond now .. im sure he will be very happy  the other one i got is a gin rin  with blue in it and he is still to small to go in the pond ...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 09:49:18 AM by xxxgotchipsxxx »

Offline xxxgotchipsxxx

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: RIP to my ogons
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 09:25:33 AM »
the darker spots u see in the pic is other fish that live in the pond... they are BRIM (sunnys)  and there is about 300 of them ..  atlest i didnt loose to much moneytho when the bird ran off with my 2 plat. ogons   i only paid about 20 bucks for both...   i guess im going to have to keep them in the house till they get a lil bit bigger lol

Offline xxxgotchipsxxx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 09:30:01 AM »
some pics

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 09:56:01 AM »
Of course that stupid bird will take the prettiest fish. He probably doesn't even see the others. GRRRRR. OK, net the thing (no I don't mean the heron but it's a thought). I have a short (maybe 1.5' high) fence made out of deck spindles with two pieces of clothesline rope going through them around my pond. I have planted marginals under the fence to fill in and the heron hasn't bothered my fish since.  Before I put up the fence after the first heron visit, I learned they came early in the morning before I was up. I put a radio on the porch on a talk channel for three days before I had time to put up the fence hoping the heron would hear the talking or music and it would scare him away. Don't know if it worked though.

Offline LynneNY

• Members
  • With us since: 30/06/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 10:00:00 AM »
Esther, do you have a picture of your fence that you could post here?  We also have been having a heron problem and not that my fish have warmed up this spring I want to nip things in the bud before that pterodactyl gets any more!!!

Offline xxxgotchipsxxx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 10:14:22 AM »
im just shocked that heron prey at night...  i never knew that and im a BIG bird fan     i have had birds of all kinds before from heron to blue jays..  i would find them injured or just babies that fall out of trees and nurse them back to health it just somthing i like to do...

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 10:26:32 AM »
So sad to see you lost your beautiful fishies!  I used to love seeing egrets and herons in the wild....I don't live in the wild and neither should those dratted egrets and green herons!  My ponds are draped in bird netting and the local green heron keeps checking to see me slip up  >:(-

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 10:47:47 AM »
Here's a picture of the fence. It is only 36" deck spindles cut in half and I angle cut one end to pound in the ground. I drilled two holes through the spindles and ran nylon rope through the holes and tied knots at the end posts. I put it out every spring and take it down in the fall. But then I don't need it all the way around seeing I have a boardwalk around part of it. Then I put another spindle on the other side of the steps getting in the pond and attached a screen door hook to the rope and eye screws to that other spindle. That way kids or predators won't use those steps to get in. This fence by no means is meant to be a safety fence. It may deter kids or dogs but won't stop them.

I have heard that herons like to land in shallow water or land away from the pond and walk in. They will not climb over or under the fence and I've heard they don't like to walk through tangly growth.

Offline Pondering

• Members
  • With us since: 14/03/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 11:20:17 AM »
I'm sorry to hear about your ogons too... and i don't even know what they are but i'll look it up right after i post. 

Esther your pond looks beautiful  o(:-) i'll have to go see if i can find more pics of it after i find out what an ogon is  ::)

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 08:23:18 AM »
Sorry to hear about this, Chips.  Those were beautiful fish.

Offline ThornyGardener

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 24/05/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 09:56:42 AM »
I'm sorry about your fish. It seems like we ponders are always battling something and that something too often wins.

I am surprised to hear that the heron 'dive bombed' the pond as I had always been told they walked in/landed in shallow water. I went to a lot of trouble and expense to build a straight-sided pond for this very reason. Does anyone else have experience of a heron air attack?

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 09:57:56 AM »
sorry about your fish, I have lost to many to heron, I now net the ponds for the last 4 years, Esther I love the rope fence, maybe I will try that, looks lots nicer then my nets
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"