Author Topic: Bug metamorphosis?  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Bug metamorphosis?
« on: March 22, 2010, 08:15:15 AM »
Do you remember Fred?
http://www.americanponders.com/forum/index.php?topic=10640.0

He/she is either dead or changing - and I can't tell which.  :o

Fred has gone completely still, hasn't shrunk, isn't decaying, just turning brown and hardening.

You know, I've never watched a beetle "hatch". I've seen butterflies - they make a cocoon. I've seen cicadas - they split their skin and emerge into a new being. But I've never watched a beetle go through the change.

Does anyone know if this is normal?

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Bug metamorphosis?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 08:22:05 AM »
I have found shells like what you are describing and figured that something hatched out of it. Come to think of it, June Bugs around here do that. Is Fred contained in something he cannot crawl out of when he does his thing?

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 09:02:41 AM »
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 09:18:27 AM »
affectionate??? I don't have a problem with bugs or beetles but it's hard to imagine an affectionate beetle that turns into a horse fly or am I misunderstanding what's going on here.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 11:36:48 AM »
Esther, beetles don't turn into horse flies. Horse fly larvae are the same as any other fly, a maggot. :)

Sunbeam, you need the expertise of a entomologist. For those not smart enough to know, that's one who studies insects. ;D
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 11:41:20 AM by PondmaninAL »
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 03:11:46 PM »
That is what I thought. Got off track with the beetle talk.

Offline Pondering

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/03/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 05:34:33 PM »
I found this link you may find helpful: http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2500.html 

I know i have more than my fair share of these things in my lawn.  >:(-  Although i think mine are from Japanese Beetles.  Grubs are one of the ugliest bugs i've ever seen... yours are ginormous compared to what i have, can't say i've ever seen one during it's morphing stage.  I definately leave them for the birds when i find 'em, yuck!

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 11:46:46 AM »
Thank you. Yes, I researched online, too. There are several sites like that. They say that the grubs go through a complete metamorphosis, and some species even have posted photos of pupa - which look like grubs with fleshy wing stubs. But they don't say HOW.

Fred continues to darken. And be still.
He doesn't seem to be adding wing stubs - but there's no indication that I have read about how long it takes.
I saw one article that says that grubs will go through "precocious metamorphosis" if starved. And Fred did spend about three weeks in a glass jar on top of Roark's refrigerator - so maybe that is part of the story.

He was crawling around and eating algae off the side of the aquarium before he just curled up and stopped.
I dunno.
I don't feel a need to throw him out. So I guess we will watch and see.

Offline Bearb

• Members
  • With us since: 29/08/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 12:24:58 PM »
Sunbeam, Texas A&M has an Entomology Department (perhaps a University closer to you does as well). I bet if you made a call or emailed the Department, you would find someone who is willing to tell you all you need to know. It may be a bit of a trick finding that right person (likely a professor or graduate student). . . entomology strikes me as one of those fields where people who choose it, are very happy when someone takes an interest.
Bryan

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 08:39:37 AM »
I have a cousin who's an entomologist.  He married a Peruvian gal who's a... whatever they call the people who study trees.  They spent quite a few years on a mountain in Peru, counting bugs and measuring trees.

Peru is a long way from Danbury, TX, though, so hopefully you can find info on your bug on the Internet.  I say, just let him be and let Nature take her course.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 05:27:56 PM »
I have a cousin who's an entomologist.  He married a Peruvian gal who's a... whatever they call the people who study trees.  They spent quite a few years on a mountain in Peru, counting bugs and measuring trees.

Peru is a long way from Danbury, TX, though, so hopefully you can find info on your bug on the Internet.  I say, just let him be and let Nature take her course.

By then it will have turned into a meat-eating beetle that devours Sunbeam and Roark and all the animals and koi. ;D
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"