Author Topic: Giving away some of my fish....  (Read 858 times)

Offline PondJoy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/01/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Giving away some of my fish....
« on: March 24, 2010, 07:25:01 PM »
So I have some friends that have a pond nearby and they need fish!!  Yeah!  I have about 10 goldfish (about 6 inches each) that need a home.  I am so pleased they have somewhere to go.  They don't have any fish right now.  They re-did their pond (it's on the small side) and so it is empy of fish.  Other than acclimating them to the water temp (I know how to do that) is there anything else I should do to give them the best start at a new life?  I hope I don't miss them too much...  :'(

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Giving away some of my fish....
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 05:31:16 AM »
It's a good idea to acclimate them to the WATER, too.  Even if both ponds are healthy, they will have different strains of "good bacteria" (and also "bad bacteria") in them.  Colonies of fish become accustomed to the particular bacteria and water quality in the pond they live in.  But new fish may not be adapted to those conditions.

So it's a good idea to gradually get them used to the new water.  By quarantining them in a big tub with filter and air, in their original water, and gradually adding some of the water from their new pond.  I've had brand new, seemingly healthy fish die for no apparent reason, most likely because they were not acclimated to some condition in the pond.  This has happened more than a couple of times.

Also, I would suggest your friends get a few 22c feeders from PetSmart, and see how they do in the pond, before adding your older, bigger, much-loved goldies.

Offline PondJoy

• Members
  • With us since: 14/01/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Giving away some of my fish....
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 05:48:43 AM »
Great suggestions Julles.....thanks!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"