Author Topic: INCREASING WATER TEMPS  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Mackey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 31/10/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
INCREASING WATER TEMPS
« on: March 27, 2010, 06:19:19 PM »
Does anyone use any solar water heaters? In the cooler later season areas. Would increasing the water temp with a solar system give the pond a early start? I don't mean super heating the pond just something to get steady temps up a little for a possible earlier season. My pond is about 2400 gal. about 14X14 and half of the pond is about 36-40" deep. I normally will not see first bloom till late June first of July. Need some insightful input. Thanks

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: INCREASING WATER TEMPS
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 06:26:21 PM »
I thought about pumping water through a 20' section of 1" black pond tubing to try to warm up my lily tank faster.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 06:28:59 PM »
I've never used them . I do however use plastic(6 mil) over my pond for the winter & in the Spring
I have some lily pads starting to hit the serface ...several of my liliys have pads on the way up... :)

bonnie

Offline Rad Michelle

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • hakuna matata
  • With us since: 08/05/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 08:21:34 PM »
That's a large volume of water you would need a pretty decent heater to have any significants... You could always strt lilies in greenhouse like pond w that solar so by the time your waters warm they will already have strted growing

Offline Mackey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 06:09:20 PM »
Thanks for the three comments. Thought this would be a better topic. I was looking at a Solar pool heater its about 4' X 20' I think it would raise temps about 5%.

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 09:59:47 PM »

That sounds like a pretty big heater to me. I think it would raise the Temp more than 5 degrees. but I don't know for sure but I do know that in a few minuets a black plastic waterline like Scot was talking about full of cool water to start will burn you. That's not a lot of surface area. You might find that you might get your water to hot with a big collector. of course you would need a small pump to circulate the water.

I think that maybe lack of sun directly on your pond may be the real problem and if you have a lot of sun the water will warm and your lilies will bloom much better for many reasons.   Your pond is your best and cheapest solar collector it just needs to be in the sun like any solar collector.
 Overcrowding and low sun are the main reasons lilies wont bloom. 

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 10:55:05 AM »

Overcrowding and low sun are the main reasons lilies wont bloom. 

Dang it, TMike! Now you've ruined my hopes for them blooming this year. Wait, does that go for both hardies and tropicals?
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 03:08:31 PM »

By overcrowding I mainly mean underground or in the pot.

I don't know much about crowded or shaded tropicals.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 05:10:52 PM »
Well, I'll give you some information on a crowded tropical. One of those white night bloomers that I have, needed dividing last year but I never got to it. It was in a 2-gallon pot and kept sending up pads and blooms. Oh, that stock tank didn't get six hours of sunlight.

Now you have some evidence. :)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline Mackey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 02:53:40 PM »
Thanks again. The 36" to 40" depth I believe is why my pond temps stay low along with cooler nites at 2400ft elevation. But if I read what your saying correctly. The water temps do not affect lilly growth or bloom production? With no leaves on the trees now I get 7 hours of direct sun. So if water temps dont get plants started ( or keep them going longer) This is a mute subject. The heater shown is 2 feet X 20 feet

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 07:14:37 AM »
I beg to differ, water temps do affect growth and overall plant health in both hardy and tropical waterlilies.
I grow tropicals only and I use a large titanium electric heater.
Solar heaters would work very well for you.
You can make a solar heater inexpensively out of black PVC pipe or black pipe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDpZZuAezMI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oWXeOdZA6k&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7SGzlnDscg&feature=related
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 12:18:52 PM »

Your right Sean, my best, biggest most bloomingest hardies with the biggest flowers grow in very deep cold spring fed water in one of my cold valley ponds.  They start blooming at the same time as the same varieties on the hill in my hottest ponds and bloom just as late.the water in this pond is around 50 degrees at the height of summer and only a very few inches at the surface are warmer than that because the leaf coverage is so complete no sun enters the water to warm it. 
  Both ponds are in full sun.

Offline Mackey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 04:58:02 PM »
Thanks for the post These solar tube heaters was what I was thinking. but still confused one person likes warm water for bothe hardy and tropicals and someone else thinks it does not affect bloom, starting season or length of season. what to do? what to do? maybe I'll have to do some testing.

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 07:43:46 AM »

Do experiment.  Be sure you understand that I was referring to hardies only when I was saying that my lilies bloom just as good or better in my coldest pond, low 50s, as in my hottest pond, upper 80s.

Tropicals like it hot.

I have odorata and odorata x mexicana plants in my cold pond.   Some in 7 ft. of cold dark water.

Not enough sun and or over crowding of to many connected crowns and "tuberoids" is the main cause of low flowering of lilies. Next on the list would be excessively low fertility.  Moderately low fertility is fine for most lilies but some respond very well to increased fertility without making lots of leaves.  Fairy Skirt is one that likes it's fertilizer and without it won't have as strong of an outward curl to the sepals and petals.

Many plant's will not show their true flower form if under fertilized or crowded.

This big yellow has wide wavy petals with more rounded tips than the two flowers to the left from a younger more crowded less fertilized crown.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"