Author Topic: The CHASE is on!!!  (Read 2034 times)

Offline LynneNY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
The CHASE is on!!!
« on: April 04, 2010, 08:14:40 AM »
Will she make it?!?  I've had 8 sarassa comets for about 8 months now.  They gotten to be a nice size - bought them as feeder size and they are now about 5-6 inches long including tails. They have been chasing 3 in particular, but this morning they are all after one.  NON-STOP!  I've watched this for about an hour already, but I'm sure it's been going on longer than that.

They all gang up on her and surround her in the middle and smash into her - not so much into the side of the pond, although they are chasing her right along the edges.  She must be exhausted! :o  How long does it take for the eggs to be released?  And more importantly... will she survive this?!? :(

Offline Reedman

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: The CHASE is on!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 09:02:03 AM »
If you look closely where they were banging her into the sides, you might see the eggs.  Spawning can be pretty brutal on the females.  Missing scales, injuries - a few years ago one of mine died from her injuries that happened during spawning.
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline Pondering

• Members
  • With us since: 14/03/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 04:05:14 PM »
Ohhhhhhh so that's what was going on in my pond last weekend :o 

So what should i watch for now? i mean are the eggs around my plants? 'cause if so, i'll wait awhile to work in those areas.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 04:58:59 PM »
I'm sure your female will survive.  Any eggs the fall, whether they end up on plants or the bottom, may get eaten up by all the fishies, unless there is a place for the eggs to be separated from the general population.

o( At on time I had only a few female fish and way too many males.  The chase looked crazy yet the females survived the chase and the slamming.  o(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"