Author Topic: ReBirth  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
ReBirth
« on: April 07, 2010, 11:52:39 AM »
About two months ago I noticed a Monarch chrysalis attached to my drip irrigation tubing next to wear I sit every morning in the front patio.  Below is a photo of a different one I took at some time in the past.

About 5 days ago I noticed the pretty green color of the chrysalis was darkening and I knew that soon the butterfly would be emerging.  This morning I saw the chrysalis was very dark and I could see the coloring of the Monarchs wings through the chrysalis.  This was a signal to me that the butterfly would likely emerge very soon.

Perhaps an hour after I took this photo I returned.  I missed the actual re-birth.  The Monarch's wings are still somewhat scrunched up though.

Thirty minutes later the wings were filling out more and the butterfly was drying them in the warm sun.  Soon this little guy will be off exploring. 
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Bearb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 29/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: ReBirth
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 11:56:56 AM »
Awesome! How long are monarchs in the chrysalis?
Bryan

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 12:20:26 PM »
Beautiful creature!   8)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 01:50:22 PM »
Mikey, that was so exciting. What a wonderful gift our creator has given to you. And now you shared it with us.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 04:54:28 PM »
I would be excited too!  Gorgeous shots Mike!

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 08:23:52 AM »
Great pictures.  I know what you mean about missing the birth.  One time I invited my little neice out to watch one.  We sat and stared at the little chrysalis, she needed a drink, came back out and it was over.  :)

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 01:07:14 PM »
Beautiful! Nice pictures, too.

I'm also curious about the time span. Had no idea it took that long! We have monarchs here in Illinois, I grow plants for them but for the life of me can't remember the names. 
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 03:30:22 PM »
I'm guessing the chrysalis was hanging there for about two months.  I wasn't really paying too much attention and it may have been shorter.  I imagine the weather can affect their development.  They are year-round residents here and I notice some of them tend to stay in and around our yard. This particular chrysalis and the resulting butterfly was smaller than most.  The milkweed they need was not as plentiful during the winter months and I also prune some of the plants down to nearly the ground in the winter so that they will put on new foliage.

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"