Author Topic: UV ?  (Read 946 times)

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
UV ?
« on: April 13, 2010, 08:52:02 PM »
Ok I'm sure if I do a search I could find some answers, and as soon as I have time I will, but till then.....I'm seriously thinking of getting a UV and was wondering if I could get some advice and or reviews of what others may have or heard about, any opinions welcome.  My pond is 2400 gals, I wouild need to use a seperate pump for it as I run a 7500gph pump now and really don't want to get one for that size as the prices are outragous then.  Thanks in advance for all posts.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline tugo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 07/07/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Tugopond
Re: UV ?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 01:57:53 AM »
Marla my pond is also 2400 gals and for UV I use an aquarium pump with built in filter and it pumps 240 gals per hour. I was told that this flow rate was optimal and if the pump is too strong the water will flow through the UV with a high speed and UV will not be effective. Such a small pump costs very cheap.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 09:30:12 AM »
I'm no expert by any means but here are some thoughts.

You could continue using the same pump but you would branch off for the section of plumbing where you add the UV possible using smaller diameter pvc and/or placing a ball valve in front to restrict the volume of water flowing through the UV. 
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline vibraphonusrex

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/09/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 02:13:54 PM »
Hi, Marla:

I don't know if you remember my set-up, but I had a UV with a small aquarium pump; it worked great.  When Blade installed the interim filter system last summer, he just branched off the filter inlet pipe; I could regulate the flow with the valves.  When you buy a light, the instructions should tell you what the optimum flow is for that particular light; the easiest thing to do, I think, is to get a suitable aquarium pump and just make the UV light its own little installation somewhere between the falls and the skimmer.  Hey, let's visit each other's pond in a month or two!

Bob Blomberg

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"