Author Topic: Cat Pics  (Read 2224 times)

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
Cat Pics
« on: April 18, 2010, 11:31:47 AM »
I'm having a really hard time getting these pics right. My PC is misbehaving, the server is slow, and I can't get the right format so they'll show up here. Now, the feral cat thread won't even let me view it. A perfect storm.
:blowup:

So lets try a new thread. Wish me luck!

The mom:
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline karen J

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
Re: Cat Pics
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 11:33:58 AM »
Ahhhhh it worked.

The kittens:

Edit: in that photo, their eyes were still closed. This must have been within the first week of birth.

The kittens today:

Edit: Their eyes are open and they're more mobile. We stuffed newspaper into the drainage pipe so they wouldn't fall in and get stuck.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 07:27:29 PM by karen J »
Karen

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 11:35:47 AM »
Sorry about the ugly window well. I don't know how she does it, but the cat jumps up and grabs the edge of the window well cover and pulls herself out of a 5" gap between the window well and the wall of the house.
Karen

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 11:49:14 AM »
The mom looks like one of my cats!  The kittens' eyes are open too--looks like mom cat picked a good spot to have them.  Adorable!
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 12:16:05 PM »
What cute fuzz balls  O0 O0
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 01:23:47 PM »
Awww. Love kitties. Isn't it a bit early for them to be having kittens? The farm kittens were always born in the warm summer in the hay mow before bailing started. So I'm thinking that first cutting of hay was around the 4th of July and I'd be out of school so must have been late May and early June.

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 07:24:40 PM »
Esther, I don't know if it's early or not. The mom was born in the spring of last year, they popped their little heads from under the deck in May.
When these kittens were born the temps were still really cold, we had some snow that weekend.

All I know for a fact is that there was some hanky panky going on at the end of winter.  ;)

Is it possible that cat siblings can produce viable offspring? There were/are other feral cats in the area... but they look so much like each other. Breaking out the old Punnet Squares.
Karen

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 04:51:37 AM »
No, it's not too early for cats to have kittens.  They are right on schedule. 

My vet told me once that length of day starts to trigger a heat cycle in cats and some cats will continually come into heat every few days until they are bred.  In my own experience here on the farm, cats can and do interbreed (doesn't make for healthy kittens) but it happens; although they don't always interbreed.  Several generations of inbred cats makes for and inbred 'look', but here I get my cats neutered/spayed.

I medicate for worms and any illness and they get fed regularly.  We don't have many rats in the barns, none around the house.  My cats don't leave our farm, they don't need to.  They're fed and neutered, no need to roam.  Cats will also have litters of kittens late in the fall, which have a lesser chance of surviving because of the cold.  Some mom cats will have 2 litters of kittens a summer, and a lot of times will abandon the second litter because of the toll it takes on her to provide milk and attention for them.  I guess for that second litter, she's just not into it anymore. 

If idiots would stop making their problems MY problems by dropping off pregnant females and litters of kittens--I wouldn't have to own stock in my local vet.   >:(  The shelters won't even take cats/kittens anymore. They also drop off litters of puppies on the less traveled back road.  Pathetic. 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 08:32:42 AM »
Length of day- that is so interesting. I think we don't realize it a lot of the time that so very many things are triggered by sunlight. We use the power of sunlight to create protein. It's really amazing how everything is reborn in the spring.

I empathize where you're coming from- our town is really the last suburban town before things start getting rural. I suspect that a lot of people drop off unwanted pets in our neighborhood because of that.

I was able to pet the mommy last night. I pet her on the back three times, then gave her food.
Karen

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 10:26:34 AM »
They are really darling.

Maybe, once the mom realizes you are helping her kittens, she will become more tame.  She's already trusting you to pet her.

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 06:15:48 PM »
Julles, I hope so!

This evening after dinner I had my daughter distract the mom with lots of food, while Kevin took the window out for me. At first the kittens hissed and spit, they were terrified. Then I put my hand in there for a while so they could smell it. Then I pet them.

Wow.  o(:-)
Karen

Offline PondJoy

• Members
  • With us since: 14/01/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 06:43:56 PM »
I miss my kitty so much.  These are so beautiful.   :'(

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
AWWWWWWWWWW  o(:-) 

Offline water_sprite

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 03:40:41 PM »
They're adorable!  And they'll be easy to tame, being so little.  Good luck with them.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 04:44:49 PM »
Sounds like they have won your heart.  ::)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"