Author Topic: Opinions on mulch. Mulch or no mulch?  (Read 4887 times)

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
Opinions on mulch. Mulch or no mulch?
« on: April 20, 2010, 09:15:31 AM »
I finally received my landscape plans from the architect.  For the most part I'm happy with the layout.  A couple things I think he missed, but not worth going back and forth for another six months to nail down the little details.  I can deal with those myself.

He prefers 2 inches of mulch over bare soil.  I'm not a big mulch fan to begin with as it seems to end up everywhere, but since it will take years to get everything planted and for said plants to fill in spaces all the bare dirt didn't really appeal to me either.

I hadn't come to terms with mulch over soil before the irrigation contractor showed up with his dad who happened to care for very large spaces at the research office here.  The grounds there are very nice.  He maintained bare soil is the way to go.  No mulch mess, but need to keep the soil looking good (so much for low maintenance if I need to weed half the yard every week all summer).

I then meet with the nursary to see about getting the plants arranged that will go in this year and she favors mulch over fabric so weeding is not an issue.  She believes in just letting leaves, seeds, berries, needles just drop in the mulch.  Rake it a bit each year and add top dressing every other year.

So I have three opinions from three professionals now and that left me even more on the fence with how to do it.  I don't want a high maintenance backyard, but each method seems to have cons to it that still creates a lot of extra work.

What do you guys favor in your gardens?

Bart

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions on mulch. Mulch or no mulch?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 10:40:11 AM »
Your issues are likely quite different than mine and I don't care too much about aesthetics.  I have very sandy soil and I like mulch for two reasons:

1.- Helps to keeps moisture in and helps to make better soil over the years as the bugs and worms incorporate the mulch into my soil.

2.- Helps to smother weeds.

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 12:06:31 PM »
mulch.
add a little ammonia to balance the decay cycle.

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 12:20:54 PM »
So for both of you you have used mulch directly on the soil NOT over fabric?

What are your problems with junk growing in the mulch?  This is a fairly large area I'd be doing and can't afford to add new topping to it every year.  Raking what is there to freshen it up, etc., all good, but do not want to undertake major yard work that I do not have time for.

Bart

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 01:03:35 PM »
I use mulch.  Tried the fabric before and it does disintegrate like shredded paper.  Not good.  Mulch is more beneficial to the soil as it breaks down if you use natural uncolored mulch.  Mulch size is a preference.  I like pieces medium and more shredded than chunks.

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 04:02:57 PM »
I have never used fabric.  2-4 inches of mulch and there will be very few weeds.  After several years you will likely have to re-mulch, perhaps sooner since your climate likely gets more rain then I do here. 

There is mulch and there is mulch.  Sounds like the mulch you want is stuff that won't break down quickly.  I can get free limb chippings from my public works department but sometimes when I go to get it there is too much leafy material in the mulch which causes it to break down much quicker than when it is mostly wood chips.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 04:23:11 PM »
I didn't mulch until moving here.  The intense heat drys things out so quickly that mulch is needed to keep the moisture in longer.  Plus there will be less weeds.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 04:54:10 PM »
I mulch but like the finer mulch that breaks down and makes good dirt.  It keeps moisture in longer in the dead heat of summer and when it's 3 or 4" deep, it keeps weeds from coming up.  You do have to weed some from the 'blow in' weed seeds, but it keeps it down to a minimum.  I've been hearing of a product called "Preen" which you can sprinkle on top after you've mulched:  supposed to keep weed seeds from sprouting.  Might be worth looking into since you are trying to keep yard work down.  I would imagine you wouldn't be able to use the Preen around ponds because of run off. 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 04:59:05 PM »
We mulch everything.  We have a lot of lumberyards in the area and can get a huge load of hardwood mulch for $100.  I do it because I love the look, but its great for helping keep weeds down and moisture in.  No fabric.....I like to leave lots of room for plants to spread and fill in the area.  I use "Preen" on all my mulched areas and add a very light top coat of mulch every year.  Once you have a thick layer of mulch, just a sprinkle in the spring really freshens up everything, after a few years of doing this you really don't have very many weeds at all.

Karen

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 08:07:05 AM »
Thanks for the good comments.

I really think I will need to stick with the original plan of a mulch layer over plain soil.  The way the wind blows here I would need to water three times a day otherwise.  Far too much drying out in the wind and heat.  I will check out this "Preen" product for sure.  Never heard of it before today.

I was thinking more of the walk on mulch as opposed to the bigger stuff.  The walk on tends to stay put better I think.

I know the yard will never be maintenance free, but I certainly think it can be low maintenance.  I just do not have the time for it like I used to.  My water feature, if anything, will be something stand alone like a big rock with water coming out the top or a big vase.  I'm looking for something contemporary.  I'll have to see if I can post a PDF file here of the plan.  Maybe you guys have some good ideas for the one problem area.

Bart

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 08:09:47 AM »
Not "Maybe" Bart, they do!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 08:41:18 AM »
I stand corrected!

Bart

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 12:17:22 PM »
 O0 @O@
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 08:04:21 PM »
http://www.magikmulch.com/faq.htm  or google "rubberific mulch".

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 06:36:04 AM »
Bart--don't forget the pics!   O0
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 07:10:13 AM »
http://www.magikmulch.com/faq.htm  or google "rubberific mulch".

I've seen this at a local store.  Up here the cost is ridiculous.  I don't think I would care for it even if they did sell it for a reasonable amount.

Bart

Offline PHYLAL

• Members
  • With us since: 04/09/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 09:18:44 AM »
We mulch everything here in southeast Pennsylvania.  It does four things:
    1.  Looks good.
    2.  Keeps weeds down to a minimum.
    3.  Holds moisture.
    4.  It augments the soil, after a few years, the soil is rich with organic material.
Indiana Karen is right, after the initial “heavy” layer is applied it only needs a thin coating every spring to look brand new again.
A few years ago I began using what is sold here as “double ground.”  It does not have the big chunks of wood in it that I would find before, although it is still coarse enough that it does not break down in one year. 
My pond has river jack along the “front” edge and the other three sides are mulched right up to the rock border.  The mulch does get into the pond a bit after a heavy rain.  However, it floats and what lit bit does get in, ends up in the skimmer debris basket.
I have never used landscape fabric under the mulch, but in other applications, as miguynmkoi stated, it disintegrates quite rapidly.
I also had never heard of “Preen.”  Something I will look into (although weeds in the mulch are not much of a problem, there are always a few).  I do agree with Kittyzee, I would be very cautious with it around the pond, particularly if the landscaping is level with or higher than the pond.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2010, 12:58:09 PM »
I'm surprised so many of you haven't heard of Preen.  I would guess I have been using it for about ten years!
It's best to apply it right before a light rain or water it in.  At first you might need to do it every 6-8 weeks, now I only do it in the spring before I apply the new mulch.  Its amazing how it takes care of the weeds.........I wouldn't be without it.

Karen

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2010, 02:03:49 PM »
So far Preen seems to be in the same catagory as Algae Fix as far as available in Canada.  Not.

Bart

Offline kitfoxdrvr

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • Authorized Self Portrait?
  • With us since: 11/03/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2010, 02:32:41 PM »
Mulch over soil is the way to go.  All the reasons mentioned, plus, it will help you with frost heave in new plantings, and may increase hardiness of some of the plants, especially in years with little snow cover.  Skip the fabric; the mulch tends to move more in rain and wind when on fabric, and the benefits to the soil of decomposing natural mulch (never underestimate this-in nature, this is how organic matter gets incorporated into soils-ever hear of leaf mold?) are lost if the mulch bed is isolated from the soil and the little critters that move the good stuff around can't get to it.

And pictures, please!

Steve

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2010, 06:12:53 PM »
Good articles!  I am sticking with the mulch over soil and no fabric.  Now, getting the plant list under control is the next part.

Bart

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2010, 09:11:05 AM »
Is there any drawbacks to using the dyed mulch? 

I have a few choices on colour or natural.

The sitting patio will be slate grey and the eating area is plain concrete.  So I'm not sure if a black mulch is too much dark since about 1/3rd of the yard will be mulch, 1/3 grass and 1/3 slate patio.

What you guys think?

Bart

Offline Sandyd

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2010, 12:31:37 PM »
Mulch and preen.

I have used preen for years.  Mulching puts back much needed oraganic matter back into the soil as it breaks down.

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2010, 01:17:52 PM »
I prefer the natural mulch.  I don't like using chemicals and I don't know what the mulch is colored with so I don't use it.  If you are doing a large area you might want to check with some tree trimmers in the area.  I got 2 yards of mulch (I could have had more, that's all I needed) for free.  Anytime I need more I can just call them, they add my name to their schedule and they drop it off. I don't mind that it has leaves in it, our soil is pretty bad and not a lot of organic matter in it. I noticed this year after I mulched last fall there are a LOT more worms in my soil. That made me VERY happy!

Oh, I don't use landscape fabric.  The only weeds are very few and far between and are easy to pull because they aren't in the dirt they are rooted in the mulch. 

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2010, 01:22:58 PM »
I personally prefer the dark brown hardwood mulch which I get dropped off by a dump truck on a tarp I throw down when I know he's coming.  I can then work from the wheelbarrow and use a pitchfork instead of handling those heavy bags.  I have used the black mulch also but it's dyed with something and it turns everything black--gloves, tools etc. and have heard of it fading in the rain and hot sun.  Others have had no problems with it.  Preen has worked like a charm for me--I know others have used it for years, but this is the first time I have ever heard of it here.  I have a few weeds, but they are virtually nonexistent.  AMAZING!!!!
LuAnn

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2010, 02:13:52 PM »
I will be getting this in bulk for sure.  Just not sure what colour I want to go with to suit my style.  The black does appeal to me, but it may be too much to look at.  For a few years the mulch will be just as important to see as the plants since I can't fill in all the space all at once so need it to look good not just be "a mulch".

Preen doesn't seem to be available in Canada which is too bad as I do not like the idea of a lot weeding through the mulch and I'm sure at first there will be lots of that.

Bart

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2010, 03:15:44 PM »
Not necessarily Bart, especially if you put down a good 3 to 5 inches or more -- it usually suffocates the weeds it covers and the blow ins are easily picked out and you can Round Up the grass or hard to control ones.   :)
LuAnn

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2010, 04:13:51 PM »
I layed my mulch right on top of the weeds and they never came through in the spots that I did it 3-4" the less deep spots they did. 

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2010, 07:21:42 PM »
Bart, a lot of the red mulch here is just chipped up waste wood, often old skids.  Chunks can be large-ish and quite angular.  It is dyed red and fades to pink after a while.  Usually it is the cheapest stuff but not always. 

emm

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"