Author Topic: Feeling overwhelmed  (Read 3654 times)

Offline Rad Michelle

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • hakuna matata
  • With us since: 08/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Feeling overwhelmed
« on: April 22, 2010, 09:28:31 PM »
I'm a little on the irritated side... Sigh. It just all hit me. I've been having wack at home problems but to top off all the manure (watching language for Jerry) haha, well Saturday is my big pond garden fest that got the whole website water lily thing going, and I feel so underprepared, particlarly in the fact that I don't have a computer still and the website build isn't even done let alone published because all my collection of pics are on that harddrive, so I am thinking about just publishing as is with a "more coming soon" because allll te fliers and brochures have the address on it...

And not as many lilies are blooming as I'd hoped so I guess I'll have to bring photos of the plants not knowing how since all photos are on a hard drive that isn't accessable. And idk... Mayb I'll start an emailing list so I can contact those who were interested... Arg!!

I know I did this to myself but it's just aggrivating. Hopefully all goes well in the set up tomorrow and I'll come up with some ideas to make Saturday more smooth.

So far I need photos, paper for email list, some pretty potted plants to show off.. American ponders tee... Camera to show you guys the show... (when computer is fixed) more to come. At least this typed and shared with pond friends list is better then talking to myself in the mirror while pacing list

Offline 2vetts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    • View Profile
Re: Feeling overwhelmed
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 04:19:42 AM »
wow!!!!things often turn out better than anticipated , hopefully that will be the case ....peace

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 05:15:36 AM »
You sound better prepared than you think.  I have confidence in you - just take a deep breath!  No matter what, this will be a learning experience for you to build on - none of us is perfect and we can't get everything right the first time.  Just try to think of the other side of the table.  If you knew nothing about lillies, what would you want to know?  What would you expect to see?  That may give you a new look at things.  Most of all, GOOD LUCK!!!!!  @O@

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 05:44:10 AM »
Michelle, a few years back, I planned a plant festival in a local park down in Florida. Like you, I doubted my preparation. It was a free park that you couldn't reserve for special events, so I worried if the spot that I wanted to use would be available. Well, the day came, the truck was loaded. I was late getting there and there was already people there. A few helped me get set up, I introduced them to the club, and a few plants were swapped. The best part is, I had fun and so did everybody else.

So, RELAX! Everything will come together. :)

Edited to add this.

Michelle, remember what is under your avatar. I watched the Lion King and took on that way of thought. Live by it. It also works if you are religious but that is all that I will say about that. :)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 05:56:43 AM by PondmaninAL »
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Rad Michelle

• Members
  • hakuna matata
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 09:10:23 AM »
Haha the reminder of my hakuna matata motto struck a cord and I feel better. It's a big event at the college with hundreds of people so hopefully it works out great and I can pull some bodies this way to the forum, and maybe get some ppl checking out my not so built site lol

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 09:53:57 AM »
Wishing you a great turnout for your event!  There is always a storm before the calm and I say the more anxious you are now the better the outcome.  In any case, at most of these type of events just have your display, business cards or fliers and a clipboard full of paper and pens for those who want to get on your website list.  Don't make too many apologies about not being ready.  Instead inform everyone you are new and excited about your business.  "Coming soon, check back" is very good.
I hope you find a camera to take photos of the event.  Sure sounds like fun!

Offline Rad Michelle

• Members
  • hakuna matata
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 04:14:04 PM »
ok, i just published website as is... will yall check and see if it will work till my computer is resurrected? any feedback and watcha think id appreciate!

aquaticlilies.com

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 05:39:45 PM »
Michelle, the site looks good, so far. :) Let us know when you finish it. I need to work on mine for pond consulting and create one for a club for this area.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 05:47:22 PM »
So far, so good!  I love the look of the site.

Now for the downside:  My old man recommendation is to re-write the "About me" section changing it into "About Aquaticlilies".  Leave out the "My name is.." intro and simply sign it Michelle at the end. In the body of the script you could include the part abut how your company came into being, but make it professional sounding, without any "HAHAs".    For guidance on how to do this, look at your own style in the "101" section.

Again, the overall appearance is great.  Good job!

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 06:34:04 PM »
Michelle,

You're off to a good start with your website.  Right now the only links that work for me are the 4 in the top right corner; everything down the left side and along the bottom does not open for me.  I have to agree with John on the "About Me" section.  Unless this is the style of writing that will appeal to your target audience I would suggest making it sound a little more professional so that potential customers have confidence in your ability to provide them with good quality plants and service.  Without your computer you probably can't make changes to your website tonight so my suggestion would be to concentrate on tomorrow's event.  Talk up your business, what you can do for customers now.  As Annette says don't apologize for what you haven't been able to do with your website, just let that one slide for now.

I'm sure that tomorrow's event will be a big success.  You know your stuff and people will be interested in what you have to say.  I hope that you are able to enjoy yourself tomorrow Michelle. 

Good luck with everything!
emm

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 07:07:41 AM »
Johns had it right, who you are is obvious.  Maybe use somce script and sign you name.  It will look personal.
it looks fine.  It will change and so will you.  Natural growth!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 09:29:43 AM »
How did it go, Michelle?

Re the site, the blue font in your "hello" section is somewhat difficult to read, especially when you capitalize the names of the lilies. 

And the bottom of the page, the blue font on blue background is very hard to see.

So far, that's as far as I've gotten on the site.   

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 11:31:06 AM »
Basically I liked it. The above mentioned suggestions were good. UM, you might want to have a person who does well with grammar take a look and do some editing. Remember to avoid ending a sentence with a preposition. A preposition is generally a positional or spatial word. Here is the list I found when I googled "list of prepositions." Most of us don't really care one way or the other, but to those who do, notice right off. See there's one right there. LOL See how it leaves you hanging?? Right off what or where? Also punctuation can help make your sentences more understandable. I wasn't reading it for that purpose but if an English teacher were to critique it, they might make some helpful suggestions. 

aboard , about, above, across,  after, against, along, alongside, amid, amidst, among, amongst, around, as, aside, at, atop, barring, before, behind, below, beneath, beside, besides, between, beyond, but, by, circa, concerning, despite, down, during, except, failing, following, for, from, in, inside, into, like, mid, minus, near, next, notwithstanding, of, off, on, onto, opposite, out, outside, over, pace, past, per, plus, regarding, round, save, since, than, through, throughout, till, times, to, toward, towards, under, underneath, unlike, until, up, upon, versus, via, with, within,  without
I like the colors you used and the setup. Good luck finishing the page.  I hope your day went well.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 11:44:49 AM »
Winston Churchill once said "You should never use a preposition to end a sentence with!" @O@
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2010, 01:58:56 PM »
Always a smart aleck in every crowd. HMM, wonder who aleck was.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 01:15:15 PM by Esther »

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 08:24:28 PM »
Esther,

"According to G.L. Cohen, author of Studies in Slang Part 1 (1985), the phrase smart alec(k) arose from the exploits of one Alec Hoag. A celebrated pimp, thief, and confidence man operating out of New York City in the 1840's, Mr. Hoag, along with his wife Melinda and an accomplice known as "French Jack," operated a con called the "panel game," a method by which prostitutes and their pimps robbed foolish customers."

The above from:  http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1937/whats-the-origin-of-smart-aleck

Offline karen J

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 08:43:42 AM »
I agree with the others about the Hahas and the grammar, but I think you have an interesting sentence here:

When I say passionately grown, that in itself is an understatement.

You should trademark the statement "passionately grown" and make it your own.  O0 It's a good marketing tool.

Also, maybe a small FAQ on the "Truly Named" certification and why it is so important.

Another thing you might consider is something I know nothing about- the Google thing. When I Googled "aquaticlilies.com", it didn't return very much (it returned this thread and some other stuff).
It would be nice if someone googled your site name and your site was listed first. Again, I know nothing about how that works, but if you have any advertising funding, that would be a great way to advertise your site.
 Good luck!
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 03:00:12 PM »
The site looks great! I really like the logo too. I love it when someone does a very clean simple logo that speaks volumes just by itself. O0
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 04:43:07 PM »
I agree with the others about the Hahas and the grammar, but I think you have an interesting sentence here:

When I say passionately grown, that in itself is an understatement.

You should trademark the statement "passionately grown" and make it your own.  O0 It's a good marketing tool.

Also, maybe a small FAQ on the "Truly Named" certification and why it is so important.

Another thing you might consider is something I know nothing about- the Google thing. When I Googled "aquaticlilies.com", it didn't return very much (it returned this thread and some other stuff).
It would be nice if someone googled your site name and your site was listed first. Again, I know nothing about how that works, but if you have any advertising funding, that would be a great way to advertise your site.

Good luck!

Ask and ye shall receive. Here is the link for Michelle. O0

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=34397
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 06:53:08 PM »
it can take a few days to get on Google.  It will, mark my words.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Rad Michelle

• Members
  • hakuna matata
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 10:06:18 AM »
Hey guys!
Got some good news and some "sigh" bad news.

Saving best for last, bad is I have to move, AGAIN! Grr. The day before the garden fest my power was shut off and I had no idea why because we've been paying everything timely (my rent and utilities are all combined) and after some freaking out, come to find out- my landlord had let the house go to forclosure and hadn't paid anything in who knows how long, so even if I did take the 30-90 days move out deal I still have no power ad pge says I need to pay full becase I have been living there and "should have known the elec wasn't being paid" just a load of crap and now talking some kind of lawsuit but I just have enuff on plate as is... I know they technically can't do all this, but unfortunatly they are.

On to goo news... That same day everything shut down our very good neighbor's roomate was moving out after some dramatic scenes, and had asked week back if we wanted to move in incase he moved out. So the new flat is bigger than ours, but same in rent (go figure I picked the smallest place w same rent) it won't be too bad (I hope) as I've had roomies forever, and for half my rent at own place I'm getting a bigger yard, a sun room, my own huge bath as I'm getting back of the house, and did I mention a cool huge sunroom?! Haha. The whole thing is just a hassle as it's my busy season for my mobile grooming business and I want to square away my pondstuff, and just crap.

Now, thank yall for best wishes and website pointers, I'll have to double check everything and maybe bump the old website thread of mine, as I am getting my computer back! Should be online again within a week!! Garden fest went great, met tons of people passed out fliers brochures and cards, sold a few plants, several requests for ppl wanting to come by and check all the other plants out as I didn't bring alot because had a mindless day when power went out. And it was fun! Picked up two koi made buddies with our local koi water garden club, it was jut all around fun in general. Many compliments on the AP shirt too!

So hopefully things will tilt to the better side of things and go good, and hoping I can get a full ponding season in as I dissappeared last year around June. Hakuna matata   

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 11:04:26 AM »
Things have a way of working out for the better.  In a few weeks this will be all behind you.
Kudus on the event! O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 12:58:15 PM »
One thing I can say about you is that you never have a dull moment. Glad to hear the event went well and that your new place is bigger and better. Too bad though you have to move right now. Hang in there. This soon will be a memory.

Offline Roark

• Members
  • With us since: 13/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Click2Roark
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2010, 05:41:34 PM »
If it makes you feel any better R/M, it's been "one of those days" here, too. ::)  In rapid succession: my Dad had open-heart surgery, I lost a grandmother, I lost an uncle, I lost a horse I loved, and while all this was happening my son tried to check-out with rapid-onset juvenile diabetes!  Yikees!!!  :o There's more, but I won't post it.  {:-P;;

The point is, I feel for ya and you're not alone!  But always remember that tomorrow is another day!  O0

Tough times never last, but tough people, DO!

Roark
You're just jealous because the Voices only talk to me...

Offline Rad Michelle

• Members
  • hakuna matata
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2010, 07:51:06 PM »
Oh goodness i'm sorry about your loss! Ya things are coming together slowly, and I suppose that is all I can ask for. There were alot of thighs I know I'll do differently at next years fest,  like a better gazebo, maybe a bigger banner outside more with a pocket for cards as I noticed not everone walked in behind the ponds under the gazebo to where all the info was, or when I was chatting with someone some didn't get a chance to see what it was about. I'm thankful for the "locally cultivated" in banner cuz many asked If I was in town. Maybe I'll get there even earlier so I can walk around before the show without missing the good stuff and any ppl at my stand.

Man I can't wait for my computer to add to the website, my banner background is an underwater shot of lily pads with a simple plastc underwater camera cover! 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"