Author Topic: Interesting afternoon  (Read 1519 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Interesting afternoon
« on: April 23, 2010, 07:31:20 PM »
I was outside working around the pond as we had just hooked up the pump and gotten the waterfall going for the first time since November, when in drives this nice car with a couple in it that I didn't recognize. The guy kind of waved to me so I started walking over to them as the lady was getting out. The guy says, "She grew up most of her life in this house." I've lived here 40 years so knew it had to be the daughter of the people we bought from. We had the most fun time walking around the rooms, basement and yard and exchanging memories. She was even crying at one point. We knew some of the same neighbors of course. We have done a lot of changing and improvements of course during that 40 years and she was amazed at the difference. We were both happy to have met each other and I told her to bring her siblings over if they wanted to see the old stomping grounds.

Ever think of going back to your childhood home and see if the people there would give you a tour?

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting afternoon
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 06:00:21 AM »
That was gracious of you to give them a tour.  I visited my old homestead roughly a year ago but the visit was just a drive-by
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 06:32:56 AM »
I have always wanted to visit my father's childhood home. My childhood home is now a rental - still owned by my parents. But my father's childhood home is now a museum in San Diego - out by the air base.

Some day. :)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 06:42:53 AM »
I've driven by my childhood home in Southside, Birmingham, AL and the one where I got my first interest in Ponding in Hermitage, TN. I've always wanted to go into the Birmingham house and get measurements to rebuild a similar home on some acreage out in the country. It was two story with a basement, which makes it three story. Had walk in attic space. My dad had taken two rooms on the main floor and made one huge family room with an eating area since the breakfast nook wasn't big enough for a family of six. It had a huge kitchen that I could include an island in the design and still have lots of room. The kitchen, dining room, and living room had 12' ceilings.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Bearb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 29/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 04:31:47 PM »
That is a neat story. I drive by my childhood home a once or twice a year, as we still have family friends in the area. I have often wanted to go in. Though I lived there until I was 14, the set up of the unfinished part of the basement is a vague memory to me; for some reason, I dream about it occasionally but can never quite remember what it was like. After 20+ years, I'm sure the only thing that is the same is the main floor, floor plan so I don't think I would bother stopping by.
Bryan

Offline 2vetts

• Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 04:01:54 AM »
both my childhood homes were torn down years ago . nice the people stopped in that would have been interesting .

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 07:15:39 PM »
Esther, that is so cool!  I can't believe that happened to you.  You hear of this happening, but you always think of it being other people.  So great that you were outside when they happened by, and you were able to take them inside for a visit.  What age was this person?

I actually know a couple of people who either did that, or had it done to them (meaning, they went back and got a tour, or they were the new home owners who were approached and then gave the tour).  It really means a lot to the people who used to live in the house. 

I guess we have a lot of memories and emotions tied up in the place that was, in a sense, our cradle for many years.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 03:05:14 PM »
My childhood home looks absolutely nothing like it did when I was growing up there. One would be hard pressed to tell it was even the same house if you were looking at before and after pics. When I was growing up there it was considered to be out in the sticks and the neighbors were about a half mile apart and many of the homes had orchards or hay fields. Now its a high end area of town so the house was built over and around to a big custom thing that you would never recognize. I'm actually surprised that they didn't tear it down to build a new home.

You are considerably more trusting than I am Esther. I would have been suspicious and I most likely would not have let them in the house. ;)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 03:07:35 PM by Desertponder »
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"