Author Topic: DIY Skippy Filter - cleanout vs NO cleanout  (Read 3151 times)

Offline 3qtkidz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/05/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
DIY Skippy Filter - cleanout vs NO cleanout
« on: May 03, 2010, 06:22:49 AM »
I am very new to the whole pond hobby but I want to correct some mistakes I have made.
First of all I have a 1800 gallon pond with 10 koi all under 10".   The pump is a Little Giant 3200 gph - Currently I have a fishmate 3000 with a UV 13 watt.
I battled algea most of the season last year and I don't ever think my pond was right last summer.   I live in Alabama where is is pretty HOT during the summer plus my pond is in DIRECT sunlight.  No shade at all.   I am going to try more pond plants but unfortunately I cannot get Water Hyacinth or lettuce because of the state I live in.    I have tried the lilys are my fish keep eating them.      So there it is - I am thinking I want to make a  70 gallon skippy style filter - but I really think I should have a clean out at the botton.   Also, I need to know how many watts my uv should be (obviously 13 is just NOT enough).      I want my pond to be successful so bad because my husband said this is the last try.   We have been spending way to much money on the pond trying to get it right.      Also, I have 2 pond stores in my area but unfortunately they both tell you 2 different things (now I'm really confused)
Also, spring is here - should I totally take the fish out and clean it all out and start over or what?

thanks in advance

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: DIY Skippy Filter - cleanout vs NO cleanout
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 02:47:03 PM »
When I first started fish in my "water feature" pond I had lots of string algae too.  I had a bio-filter which kept the water clean.  I added lilies and other water plants...but the goldfish were small.  This pond sits in full afternoon sun.  Locally the pond shop told me I had too many fish for the bio-filter, add some surface plants, and to stop feeding the fish too much plus some shade when it's too hot would help.

I did as they suggested - stop feeding the fishies so much, added floating water plans and parrot's feather and anarcris (sp), put up an umbrella.  The pond lived very well for a few years until I stupidly took all the plants out so the fishies would have more room.  The water parameters went through the roof, almost lost the koi I've raised for over 5 years plus some new ones and the last 3 original goldies.

Now after three weeks of worry and lots of partial water changes and prayers for warmer weather the water has bounced back.  Also I put plants back into the pond...a bog like corner for many waterplants and a few floating pots for hyacinths, floaters, parrot's feather, anarcis, and watercress and the likes that don't need soil.

It may take some time to correct the balance but once you get it it is so worth it.  I can see my fishies and I restrain myself from feeding them so much.  In fact I hand feed them now.  o(  Good Luck to you!

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 07:43:15 PM »
First off, what works for you may not work for me. It is so frustrating when people say they have pea soup water and I have never had it. Then I say I sometimes use Algaefix and others tell you NEVER to use chemicals and one might say they killed all their fish with it. Some swear by barley straw to keep the string algae under control and I couldn't see that it made any difference. Some swear by a UV and I've never had one. I swear by filtering and unintentional water changes. LOL. Pond leaks somewhere and we aren't about to tear it apart to find it so have to add water every other day.

Oh and by the way, haven't you heard, a pond is a hole in the ground that you put money in?? I know that helped.

It sounds like our ponds are similar. We have a 10' x 13' x 24-30"  pond with a laundry tub for a skimmer/prefilter. I don't remember for sure but the pump is around 3000 GPH. The skippy is a 100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank. For 5 years we didn't have a cleanout and then last summer DH added one in. The only difference is that we cleaned it before winter with the shop vac and now we just open the valve and hose the crud out.

No don't take your fish out and start over. That for sure will give you an algae bloom. I swear by filtering to get the pea soup under control. But my string algae problem leaves when it gets warmer around here so I'm surprised you still are fighting it. Again, you are waaay south and I'm in Michigan.

Offline jimr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/07/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 10:12:29 AM »
I have had very good results geting rid of string algae using Hydrogen peroxide . About a quart per 1000 galons seems to work well and it's very inexpensive. Try removing all you can by hand before treating. A toilet brush hose clamped to a dowel works great for manual removal.

Offline agap015

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 07:10:14 AM »
Hi All

I made a small Skippy 3 years ago cleaned it out once. I treated and cleaned and fretted and finally listened to others advice. I bought a small uv light (9watts) and left my pond (1100gallons) alone. Three years later pond is beautiful and clear. Listen to advice at least 1/2-3/4 covered with plants. Mine are lily pads gathered from lakes and bought (Sam's Club from where else but CHINA).

George

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"